PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the dell M50 laptop

shoey
03-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Hi, i've recently been thinking about purchasing a laptop as i am fed up of only being able to do work when i am sat in front of my desk. I would like it to be able to run 3dsmax with out too much hassle and was thinking about the dell M50

Here is the spec:

Pentium 4 1.8ghz Processor
512mb Ram
40gb Hard drive
DVD drive
15" UXGA TFT Screen
nVidia® Quadro4 500 GoGL w/ 64Mb DDR video memory

This is a refurb machine and is probably old spec but the asking price is £900 ($1400). Is this a good deal:shrug:

Cheers for any comments:thumbsup:

CgFX
03-28-2003, 05:04 PM
That is a steal. Jump all over it!

ggg
03-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Although the M50 can also come with a 700 gogl and the M60 is coming out, that is a very good deal. Perhaps if interested also look into getting the 700gogl, part 6X935, and putting that in it. Look for 311sams on the dell forum to see if he has recived his 700 gogl yet for his 8200 and got it to fit and work.

marshall
03-29-2003, 01:06 AM
The Dell m50 p4 1.8Ghz is my main 3D production machine. I've got 1gig of RAM, and the 60Gb HD with another 40Gb HD.

It runs Maya without any problems (faster than my old ZX-10 dual 800Mhz), even on the airplane during remote/training gigs. I use it to teach at two different schools, work on my own projects at home on the weekends, and bring it to my office every day. I love it.

The key is to get a really good backpack that can hold everything yet is easy to pack and unpack. I bought the Brenthaven bag from the Apple store. It's a bit expensive, but it is durable and has plenty of pockets and compartments for accessories. In my bag, daily, I carry:

Dell m50 portable workstation
-40Gb spare drive
-floppy spare drive
-spare battery
-power suppply
Canon LiDe 30 scanner (really thin & powered by USB)
80Gb firewire drive & power box
Serial mouse, optical wireless USB mouse
Wacom Graphire2 tablet, pen, and mouse

All my cables (4-5 usb, 2-3 ieee1394, audio, video, etc) in one pouch

Plus all my travel documents in an exterior pouch, etc.

I can travel overnight with this bag and maybe one small carry on for a change of clothes.

mobile is the way to go...i'm never without my 3D tools...

later,
marshall

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.