PDA

View Full Version : Brush Keyboard Shortcuts

eliseu gouveia
03-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Heya there, here´s me again with a simple question, hope you can help me:

is it possible to customise a couple of brushes and then link them to a key so that you can press for example "1" and get a brush or press "8" and get another one?

qwatkins
03-28-2003, 05:52 PM
if you use the "<" and ">" keys you can easily step between brushes

frog
04-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Yes, via an action.

1) set up your brush and save it as a tool preset using the presets palette (Photoshop 7).

2) create an action that selects the brush tool and then selects the preset you have just created.

3) link that action to a keystroke (F1 to F12 with modifiers, about 30 combinations available)

You can even link those keystrokes to your Wacom's pen, pen menu or tablet buttons.

wanzai
04-07-2003, 10:07 PM
I have a little problem there, using < and >

We have several PCs running Photoshop.

On the one setup, using < and > changes the size of the current brush even beyond those in the brush palette. I can stay with the standard round, hard-edged brushes and go beyond 19px although the next brush in the palette would be the 5px soft-edged brush. Vice versa, while using the soft-edged brushes, I can go down to 1px - you get the idea.

I think this should be the desired behaviour, and well known by you Photoshop gurus.

Not so on the other setup. Using < and > only goes through the actual palette, which is really unpractical ("I have to pre-define a 3px soft brush? Or a 50px hard brush?").

Both PCs have Photoshop 6 with the .0.1 update installed. The only difference would be the language - the first one is German version, the other one English version.

I assume the most of you are using the English version anyway - hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

qwatkins
04-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Wanzai said

"Not so on the other setup. Using < and > only goes through the actual palette, which is really unpractical ("I have to pre-define a 3px soft brush? Or a 50px hard brush?")."

This really isn't too tough because in the brush drop-down list all you have to do to get a series of brushes that you want from existing brushes is right click on the brush you want to copy and say "new brush" and it gives you a new brush with the one you clicked as the basis. From there if you want to edit it just do so and then get a series of 4 or 5 that you like and just bounce between them.

Also, I tried to duplicate the problem that you had of not being able to change the brush size itself with the < and > keys, it would just step through the list. Maybe you could do that again and see if there is anything else you can tell me about what it is doing so that I could reconstruct it here.

wanzai
04-07-2003, 11:02 PM
The point IS not to define them by myself. I don't want to have every size for both soft and hard in the palette, especially not while it IS proven to be working on the other setup.

Why work around if you know it actuall can be done the right way?

> Maybe you could do that again and see if there is anything
> else you can tell me about what it is doing so that I could reconstruct it here.

I AM doing it all the time :surprised: and don't know what's causing it.

It sounds like you couldn't reconstruct the problem either. That's the more reason for me not to work around and forget about the usability I could have using other/ normal setups.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.