PDA

View Full Version : 2d animation: the state of inbetweening today?

MiRoBu
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
My first post... (have been lurking for years) Hope this is the right forum.

I'm interested in the process of inbetweening and how it's done today:

As far as I know, a large portion of 2d inbetween frames are still drawn by hand. (Not counting vector animation as in flash...) They got computers and tablets and so on, but still every single frame has to be drawn. Is this right? And how large is the proportion of cost for inbetweening in a typical animation budget? Modern Japanese animated movies and series seem to employ armies of inbetweeners!

Is there any software, that helps automating the process? I've read something about the work of Nestor Burtnyk and Marceli Wein who won the Technical Achievement Academy Award in 1997 for "pioneering work in the development of software techniques for computer assisted key framing for character animation". Can anyone point me to any detailed information about this? I was not able to find anything about this, which gave me at least a clue what this could be. And has their work had any impact on inbetweening?

And the last one: Are there differences between Japan and America or Europe or has everyone the same inbetweening process?

Thank you!

Hyphen
08-07-2007, 04:43 AM
1st question: digital 2d animations still need to be drawn every frame. it is done by the computer, but it is still technically drawn every frame. hence the rendering/compiling process and why the timeline is broken down into frames.

you also mention japanese animation (anime). most of their televised animations are still drawn by hand. their anime films have moved up to traditional with a blend of cg (ghost in the shell 2), but 2d animation still needs to be inbetweened by hand.

2nd question: Is there any software, that helps automating the process? automating the process of what, traditional, digital 2d, or cg? the names you mentioned, Nestor Burtnyk and Marceli Wein did develop software that assisted tweening for hand drawn, but i don't know of that software. i don't believe it's used often at all because places like film roman and clasky csupo still outsource their tweening to korea and india. possibly due to the software's limitations, i don't know.

3rd: as far as i know, there is only one type of inbetween and it's all done the same way, the drawings inbetween are drawn...whether or not someone has miracle software is beyond me.

MiRoBu
08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks, for the answers!

Inbetween drawing must be one of the worst jobs in making 2d animation...

Hyphen
08-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks, for the answers!

Inbetween drawing must be one of the worst jobs in making 2d animation...

undoubtedly. but back in the day when traditional animation was the only animation, that's how the animators earned their stripes. it was the senior animators that drew in the key poses and then passed the drawings/timing down to the grunt inbetweeners. but once those inbetweeners moved up in rank they were the ones passing off the dirty work. the animation heirarchy, lol.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2007, 08:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.