PDA

View Full Version : Biped Animation - Pause, copy keyframes?

mattmatt
08-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Hi there,

This formus is great, and this is my first post :)

I'm hoping someone can help me with an animation I have done using a biped. A lady walks in, pauses, and during her pause she does does various movements, then she walks off out of screen.

Basically, I created her footsteps with the create footsteps dialog. Then I moved two footsteps together so she pauses - then I extended that pause by extending the key frames in Dope view. (i'm very new to all of this but loving it)

The problem is, I during her pause, 3dsmax interpolates keyframs very nicely so that she sways very slowly during her pause. What I need her to do is completly stop with no movement at all during her pause, and then walk off again.

Can I copy the beginning pause keyframe and paste it, say fave or ten seconds later down the track so she doesn't move? Thats how I would do it in After Effects, but it doesn't seem to work here.

Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Matt

Hyphen
08-07-2007, 03:25 AM
i dont recall exactly how biped works in max as i haven't used it in quite some time. but when i had worked with it, it seemed like pose-to-pose animation was very difficult and most of it had to be straight ahead animated, or am i thinking of character studio? at any rate, there's an easy way to copy over key frames.

on your timeline there should be small red bars indicating keys. just hold down shift, left click on the key you want to copy and drag it along the timeline.

the swaying motion might because of the tangencies as well. if you check the graph editor you should be able to break the tangencies and flatten them out so that you won't get that sway.

switchblade327
08-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Biped and character studio are the same. And it's cake to do pose to pose with, at least it has been for the last few versions with the copy/paste gestures and poses option. Before that, you'd just clone all the keys of that pose to a new frame.

Copying and pasting poses is done by going to Motion panel (the wheel)>copy/paste>pose.

The sway you're getting is basically because of tangencies but biped isn't euler (xyz/curves) but quaternion and uses TCB controllers. So you need to go into Motion panel>key info>TCB and change the "continuity" of the keys to zero on both the start and end poses. You might be able to do this on multiple bones at once in the graph editor but it's not as easy as just breaking tangencies. Otherwise you do it per bone "chain" (r leg, r arm, spine etc)

It sounds like a PITA because it is.

Alternately, if you want a truely dead stop (which should be used very rarely in animation but I'll assume you've got your reasons) "paste pose" the stop position on TWO consecutive keyframes at the beginning and end of the pause. So if the pause was frame 30-60, you'd copy frame 30s pose and paste it to frame 30, 31, 59 and 60. That will break the tangencies and you'll have no float. Much easier.

My max knowledge might also be a bit dated. Max 8-9 may have an easier solution but I haven't been formally trained on those.

shkumbinferizi
08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
there is something called motion mixer, try the max help files, they are very good!

thedaemon
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm not saavy with max anymore, but you can always create a new file and erase the walk animation then splice the rendered footage together. Very easy that way.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.