PDA

View Full Version : Poly to Spline

Manta
03-28-2003, 09:16 AM
I have a low faceted model and I wanna animate it in Animation Master and I'm looking for an aplication to convert poly meshes (3ds, obj,...) to splines.
I tried Wings3D but it does'nt generates any .mdl file.
What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

alfiebabes
03-28-2003, 12:57 PM
I tried Wings3D but it does'nt generates any .mdl file.

You sure? I have wings on my PC and one of the things I did discover was -
file>export>hash A:M .mdl
after you've done your modelling of course!

ragtag
03-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Download the latest version of Wings3d, it does export to Animation Master. I just did it yesterday.

Ragnar

amsmf
03-28-2003, 03:41 PM
I use Wings3D too, and I've actually had more luck with using Wings 3d to produce an OBJ file, then taking that into AM with the OBJ importer plugin. The great thing about the OBJ import is that any areas of the model which have had materials applied in Wings will come into AM as groups, and if you use the AutoUV in Wings, the maps come over as decals.

Pretty effective.

This is a model I created in wings and rendered in AM:

http://www.numbmonkey.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10

Manta
03-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the answers. I did it!
Wings3D is also a great tool.

alfiebabes
04-01-2003, 04:34 PM
have had wings for a week now and think, for me, it's not really the best way to model for Patch output in AM.

I'm finding it easy to place cp's in areas not suitable for Patch topology. As a sub-d tool it's good but not as direct as XSI's sub-d modeller

BUT IT'S FREE so you can't beat that.....

Manta
04-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Sure.
For modelling, I usually use Lightwave at job.
But, Wings3D is great as a free tool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.