PDA

View Full Version : What is that stuff?

singularity2006
03-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Anyone work with really old pre 500MHz systems that are prebuilt by HP or Dell or someone? Have u ever looked @ their heat sink? The black one with a shoddy unnamed fan on it? What is the black metallic material made out of? And does anyone know how well it works if at all? I found one of those in a system I'm rebuilding for one of my friends and will be tossing it soon after I get my copper block back from my other friend.

so yeah, what is it?

amygdalae
03-28-2003, 09:57 AM
probably just anodized aluminum, and that was sufficient for a long time... Not every proc needed a $60 copper heatsink.

I'll take transparent aluminum, please.

Matt
03-28-2003, 10:29 AM
I know how to make transparent aluminum. In 1986, some nutty guy from Edinburgh traded it to me for just a couple of pieces of plexy! Crazy stuff man. I'm still working on the matrix, I think it'll be done within 5 years or so. *NOT NOW MADELINE!!!!!*

Here's a wierd one... My buddy gave me his old Compaq with a 500Mhz K6-2 inside... It has a plastic HSF... LMAO! Even my old P150 had copper.

GregHess
03-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Sing,

Are you talking about the thermal material on the bottom of the heatsink? Alot of the earlier cpu's routinely used Thermal pad's instead of thermal paste to save money and production time.

singularity2006
03-28-2003, 07:17 PM
nah, I'm not talking about the tape, I'm talking about the metallic heat sink block itself... it's got a shiny black coat... not exactly sure what kind of material it is and was just curious about it.

singularity2006
03-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by amygdalae
probably just anodized aluminum, and that was sufficient for a long time... Not every proc needed a $60 copper heatsink.

I'll take transparent aluminum, please.

a plastic HSF?!?!?! HAHAHAHHAHA!!! Maaaan, I opened up this Dell L series one time to fix it up and I found the heat sink ... it looked like .... i dunno.... junk? I never thought Dell would use such cheap material. What it was was a 1mm thin sheet of aluminum that was folded in rectangular blocks like this:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|

with each line being the thin sheet of aluminum with HUGE spacing in between. The fan was a weird tiny plastic thinger placed right on top .... on top. I picked up the heat sink and i pressed it from the two sides and the thing crushed inward.. like aluminum. =D I have since replaced it with something much more powerful.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.