PDA

View Full Version : Question on deadlines and quality animation

Hyphen
08-05-2007, 07:07 AM
I have question for all you professional animators... how much is too much?

I've been called in for a freelance gig with pretty good compensation. However, I feel that this project is going to require a lot of effort. Between two people, how much animation do you think is possible in a 7 day week? Do you think that 50 seconds of animation per week per person (with 8 hour days) is possible?

Granted, it won't all be overly complex scenes, but there will be a lot of interaction involved. This seems like a lot of work and I'm wondering if 2 people is going to be enough.

ErikSvensson
08-05-2007, 09:15 AM
It really depends of how skilled you are and if you get the right ideas spot on, blocking out, smoothing out the animation and so on. 25 second/person a week sounds like a lot indeed, it is possible, but it may not be top notch final looking I'd say. but 15 second of pretty high quality should you be able to do, if you work focused and get it right directly. :)

Erik

Hyphen
08-07-2007, 04:31 AM
It really depends of how skilled you are and if you get the right ideas spot on, blocking out, smoothing out the animation and so on. 25 second/person a week sounds like a lot indeed, it is possible, but it may not be top notch final looking I'd say. but 15 second of pretty high quality should you be able to do, if you work focused and get it right directly. :)

Erik

not 25 per person, 50 per person! with the deadline, it's estimated that we'll need to push out about 100 seconds of total animation per week (possibly more). very discouraging when looking at all the work that needs to be done, seeing as how the characters aren't even rigged yet nor the sets built.

ErikSvensson
08-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Sorry, I seems to have read it all wrong then.:shrug: well i do not beleive its possible to do 50 second of quality animation in 40 hours a week. But hey, it all depends of your skills i'd say. Just work work work and see. There are no real "estimates" that are correct for every person. :thumbsup:

Erik

alec.tron
08-07-2007, 09:27 AM
not 25 per person, 50 per person!
To be honest, I was laughing out loud when I read that....

very discouraging when looking at all the work that needs to be done, seeing as how the characters aren't even rigged yet nor the sets built.
So that would be ontop of the animation within the same timeframe...?
Have fun, you should find a cloning facility fast...
Sorry for the sarcasm....but this is just far out...
c.

Hyphen
08-08-2007, 08:13 AM
To be honest, I was laughing out loud when I read that....

So that would be ontop of the animation within the same timeframe...?
Have fun, you should find a cloning facility fast...
Sorry for the sarcasm....but this is just far out...
c.

yes, so what needs to be done in 1 month is:

sets modeled + textured
characters rigged (i have a shortcut for this)
100 seconds of animation a week (possibly split up between 3 people now)
scene needs to be lit and rendered

granted, it's only 1 set, bg is to be toon shaded and characters don't need realistic texturing... but still...

ErikSvensson
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh my ... Well i can just wish you guys good luck and is it possible to share the results later on or is it NDA stuff? :thumbsup:

Erik

Hyphen
08-08-2007, 09:11 PM
we'll need a lot of luck. i'm currently under an NDA. but afterwards, if this project gets completed and the nda is lifted i'll definitely try to show what i can.

ErikSvensson
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds awesome :) i'm looking forward to see things when you get rid of the NDA stuff. :thumbsup:

Erik

switchblade327
08-11-2007, 11:25 PM
400 seconds (~7 minutes!) of animation, plus characters, sets, lighting in a month?

Wow dude. I hope you have your own sweatshop.

It of course depends just how fast you are and how organized they are/if they have ironclad preproduction (I can make a pretty good guess at the latter...) but that sounds like a client with a pretty ridiculous expectation.

I think it could be possible depending on the style and action required. I assume 3d biped characters. South Park style or Flash animation would be much different. The quality will suffer and if you work straight through the month, so will you. I hope the money is ridiculous because it ain't gonna happen in an 8 hour day.

Actually, as an animator I hate to suggest this but it sounds like they have more money then time. I'd seriously look at mocapping the whole thing.

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2007, 11:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.