PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic IK for hoses and ropes in MB?

danb
08-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to make hose and belts in Motion Builder?

brekel
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Depends a bit on what you wanna do offcourse.

If it's a joint chain with some basic jiggle/lag you're after you can use the damp boxes in the relational constraints to your advantage.

For a very basic setup:
Create a relational constraint, drop all your joints in as both senders and receivers.
Get a bunch of damper boxes.
Connect it so that each objects sends it's position and/or rotation into the damper and then receives it again.
OBJ-->DAMPER--OBJ

I know this sounds like a loopy and pretty nasty thing to do, but hey it works! :)

More advanced setups can use this technique on an IK effector or aim constraint on the chain to get different behaviours.

The big disadvantage is that this will never give you real dynamics with collisions and forces (unless you build REALLY complex relations)

If that's what you're after the only other option is custom programming a dynamics constraint for now, which I've been attempting using the Ageia engine. (see my site)

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.