PDA

View Full Version : After Effects rendering problem

lossy
03-28-2003, 05:26 AM
I've been having this problem every since I reformatted my machine. Anything I render in After Effects plays back at what looks like 15 frames per second. I've tried mutliple projects, and it always gives me the same result, be the original footage a quicktime, targa sequence, whatever, the final quicktime (I've tried mulitple compressions, NTSC, Sorrenson, etc) is always jerky. I've looked at all the obvious things, I make sure every setting in the render que is set at 30 or 29.97 depending, and the original material is always at the desired frame rate.

Anything I render to a RAM preview plays back fine. I've just re-installed After Effects with no result. (I'm running 5.0).

Anybody ever run into this problem?

1armedScissor
03-28-2003, 05:00 PM
just an idea, but my guess is that the footage you are working with is actually 15 fps. Check it out. just a guess.

lossy
03-29-2003, 03:51 PM
oh no, I've made sure of that...none of my teachers can seem to find the problem either...it is just plain bizzare. I guess I'll have to reformat my machine again and hope for the best.

fred
03-29-2003, 04:49 PM
what happens when you render a image sequence and import it into another app on another system?
does this problem only occur when ram-playing or also when rendering a quicktime/avi?

arvid
03-30-2003, 01:36 AM
formatting the system seems like the very last resort :D
Like Fred said, there's a lot of things you can try before formatting and wasting half a day on reinstalling everything

Phred42
03-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a single stream of NTSC video take around 25MB/sec (around 30 MB/sec if you have audio I think?) Unless you have the disk speed to support it (like a RAID), Quicktime is going to play back jerkily if you try and make it do full-res 720x486 @ 29.97. Or are you saying that you can't play back a 160x120 movie any faster than 15fps? If RAM preview is working, it sounds like AE is working fine. Or did you used to be able to do what you're trying to do now?

beaker
03-31-2003, 05:50 PM
What's the rpm speed of your hard drive? Make sure you have DMA on. 5400 rpm might be a little on the slow side. Also look at your video drivers, though I doubt that is the problem if ram playback is fine. The newest drivers are not always the best.

lossy
04-07-2003, 09:53 PM
thanks for all the feedback, been to busy to post. my hard disk is a 7200 rpm IDE, and I never used to have this problem. slower computers at school can play back quicktimes fine as well, and most of them are all IDE as well, so I doubt that's a factor.

after running a variety of diagonstic tools, I've discoverd my drive is full of bad sectors, and is most likely to blame. Probably the reason windows media plays back full of jumps and skips, and i can't play mp3's while running any other apps without skips gallore. Funny thing is, a project I originally rendered out prior to reformatting still plays back fine, and that is a full res NTSC render, and I was trying to play back a lower res movie with this problem.

ugh, this is the second drive in less than 2 years to go bad on me...almost enough to make me want to go SCSI, or serial ATA, but the price/performance ratio just can't be justified with my limited budget (to many mp3's and episodes of family guy, futurama, and space ghost to keep my space needs forever large.)

so, it's time to swap out my drive, and wait a very painful and unproductive wait untill the replacement arrives.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.