PDA

View Full Version : XSI Texture Limit

intrikit
08-04-2007, 10:53 AM
is there a limit as to how many texture maps one can apply to different objects in one scene?

ive been texturing with high res textures with a number of different objects and it has been rendering properly until now. yesterday i applied another texture to an object and the render region would just sit there and do nothing until i remove textures from one object.

it seems like i've exceeded the limit. is there such limit?

any suggestions as to how i may get around this problem? i've tried the "delete cache after render region" option but that hasn't worked.

by the way i've got final gathering on. when i work with normal spots, it renders ok.

KarelVR
08-04-2007, 01:07 PM
There's no real limit in the software afaik, but know that all your textures are gonna be cached in your ram, so probably the bottleneck lies there.
What you should try is to convert your texture files to the mental ray .map format (that way they're read from your HD when they're needed) and see what happens.

KarelVR
08-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I just reread your post and saw the FG thing.
Another thing you can try is optimise your FG calculation using the ray_type (or ctrl_rays) node.
Plug a simplified material (smaller/no texture maps, no blurred reflections, etc) into the FG port of the ray node to make the FG calculations a lot lighter.

intrikit
08-04-2007, 08:45 PM
thanks karelVR!

sounds like good ideas..but...how do i apply them exactly?

i know that in the preferences folder there is the option "automatically convert images to .map files". will that convert my textures automatically?

also, how do i apply the ray_node? can you give me step by step examples as to how i can do this?

thanks so much!

KarelVR
08-04-2007, 10:38 PM
.map files:
Yes, you can set it in the preferences, or better: at the bottom of the optimization tab under your render/regionrender settings you can set the automatic .map generation on.
You'll see it will automatically call the imf_copy program to convert it and it will put the new .map files in a mr_map folder.

ray type:
here's a simple example:

http://www.vrlabs3d.com/xsi/ray_type.jpg

You have the complex material plugged into the eye port of the ray_type node, and a simplified version (in this case no texture maps) in the FG port.
Take care that you set the FG option in the ray_type node to "use FG port" instead of the standard "use eye port".
Depending on what you need/can get away with, it can speed FG calculations up tremendously.

Good luck!

intrikit
08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
dude!

you're awesome. your fg trick worked! it renders very slowly but im happy that it actually renders! do you have any other specifics that you think might help?

thanks ALOT!

KarelVR
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
You're welcome ;)

The only thing I can think of right now that could possibly speed up your renders too is tweaking your bsp settings. There's some info about it on the lamrug.org site, also there's the useful pdf by dave lajoie (but can't find it at the moment).

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.