PDA

View Full Version : Cool things in Blender that aren't so obvious

Apollux
03-28-2003, 03:41 AM
I got inspired by a similar thread on the Wings forum. This is a place for posting things included within the program that:

A.- Are really hard to find/notice in the documentation.

B.- Are undocumented at all.

C.- New creative uses for things already present in the program.

Apollux
03-28-2003, 03:46 AM
I'll get it started with:

You already know that Numpad 1, 7 and 3 puts you on front, top and left view, but did you know that Ctrl+1, Ctrl+7 and Ctrl+3 puts you on back, down and right view (the opposite views) ?

----

Also, did you know that once you have added a lamp or a world, by placing the cursor over the corresponding icon at the bar (the bar for switching what type of button you see on the buttons window) and pressing the I (i) key you can insert key frames for settings such as light intensity and horizon color?

Apollux
03-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Another one:

You already know that Blender can load plug-ins for texturing, secuence editor, etc. etc. etc.... but did you know that Blender comes with a few of such plugins un-compiled?

In Linux they are located on the plug-ins sub-directory of the default Blender install, and all that you need is a Make command to compile them. I don't know how to compile them in Windows, but there they are, just waiting for you to awake them!!!

harkyman
03-28-2003, 11:17 AM
When you're mesh-editing, alt-S will shrink/fatten the mesh selection in the direction of the vertex normals.

Apollux
04-01-2003, 03:54 AM
COME ON GUYS!!! there must be other cool stuff hidden in our beloved Blender. Why not to share them?

Here is another one: Vertex Parenting

Ok, I can't remember where I learnt this in the first place, but it is hidden in Blender AND IT WORKS.

You can parent object to a Mesh, in that case you are parenting to the center of the mesh.. BUT if the mesh is translated somehow (lest say by an armature's pose) the center remains in the same spot, and thus the child object doesn't receive any transformation at all.

To solve this, you can parent the child object to a vertex (or a face) within the mesh, and any transformation that the vertex receives is passed to the child.

There are only 2 options, to parent to any 3 vertex withing the mesh or to parent to just one vertex. If you parent to 1 vertex then only location information is passed, with 3 vertex all transformations (rotation, location and size) are passed to the child.

How to do it? Starting out of edit mode select the child(s), hold Shilf and select the parent, enter edit mode, select one or tree vertex, press Ctrl-P. That's it!

theeth
04-01-2003, 05:26 PM
fly mode

enter camera mode and press Shift-F
move the mouse slowly
space to keep the orientation
escape to cancel fly mode

Martin

Apollux
04-03-2003, 02:55 AM
Here are some more usefull tricks, related to the view ports and the render buffers.

First. Switching among screens

So you have your screen made off the 3D window, the buttons window and the info window... but you are doing some fine tunning to the mesh in two places simultanesly, and they both need to zoom in the 3D window. You could scroll or zoom out, translate the view and zoom in again. None of them an elegant solution.

Another situation. You are working on a model and are using an image for reference. You are not tracing over the photo, just take a look at it often to make sure you don't deviate to much from the concept. So you open the photo in a 2D program and keep swichting back and forth from Blender.. or you have the photo open in an image window and keep maximizing and minimizing the window... another hastle :annoyed:

Wory no more!!! :p Blender can handle multiple virtual screen (ala Linux) and you can come and go from them with just one key stroke.

Just press Ctrl+Left Arrow or Ctrl+Right Arrow and you are switching screens. Go ahead! By default EVERY .blend file comes with 3 screens ... and of course you can add/delete as many as you see fit.

** Edit: the magic button to add or delete screens is right beside the Tools menu, up there in the info window.

Apollux
04-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Don't know if this qualifies as a 'not so obvious' feature because it was clearly explained in The Tutorial Guide #1 (currently ouf of print), I just can't find on wich page right now.

Using the render buffers

Ok, so you set your scene and press RENDER, a nice window comes up and you see your hard work comming to existence (that's the default behavior, if your change it on the display buttons then this may not work for you).

Do you realize that the window containing your render image is also a render buffer? Actually they are 2 buffers for your to play with. Whenever the render window is open (and you can re-open it by pressing F11 without having to wait again for the render) if you press the J key you can switch from Buffer A and B. (the last active one is what you save when you press F3). You can even swith buffers in the midle of a rendering (but I advice agains that when rendering very complex scenes, you have been warnned!)

The cool thing about having two separete render buffers is that you can have instant before-and-after images for things that you change in the scene. For example you are searching the perfect position for a light source in a scene, you place it and do a render, place the ligth in another positon, switch to the second buffer and do a new render. Now, with the render window open, just press J to see how the change on the light's position influence your scene and that makes your decision easier.

By the way, the render window can be zoomed (by the normal ways or by pressing Z ) to do a closer inspection of the image.

RISKBREAKER
04-03-2003, 04:16 AM
Ok how about this.

Work around to welding Verts:

For Edge loop (verts) position both loops together as close as possible then hit W then 4 (not on numkey pad). You can adjust how far the effect of collapse can go in the Edit window (a button on the right labeled Limit: ***, where * is a number).

As for individual verts, eg. Two vertices welded to become one, select both verts, scale until they are very close then hit W then 4.

theeth
04-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by RISKBREAKER
As for individual verts, eg. Two vertices welded to become one, select both verts, scale until they are very close then hit W then 4.
you can also do that with the snap combo

select the vertice you want to weld together
Shift-S, Cur -> Sel
Shift-S, Sel -> Cur
W, Remove Doubles

Also, whenever Blender pop up a menu with different options, you can just type in a number to choose one of the options (use the numbers not on the numpad).

Martin

Apollux
04-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Animation Preview in all windows at the same time

It is well known that Alt-A is for previewing an animation on the 3D window. But that's not all of it. Divide your screen into multiple 3D Windows, each from a diferent point of view.

Press Alt-Shift-A

Enjoy!!!

If you have an Action/Ipo Window and 3D windows open, and you issue the Alt-Shift-A command from the Action (or the Ipo) window, it will animate both (the action and the 3D) in sync!! Great for visualization of Ipo's efect on your model.

Apollux
04-06-2003, 03:34 AM
Ever wondered what the RGBA (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha) values of certain image are?

When the render window is open, click and hold with the left button of your mouse. Drag the mouse around and there you go!!

artificial3D
04-06-2003, 05:49 PM
"truck" the camera in camera mode:
1) go into cam mode with NUMPAD 0
2) move the camera with pressing Gkey
3) press the middle mouse button
... and tadaaa!!
[i hope this was clear :p ]

Apollux
04-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by CubeFan973 at elysiun

The Monkey!!!! :curious:

For those who may not know it yet (is that possible?) all Publisher versions had been shipping with a Monkey mesh called Suzanne. Just open the main tool box (Space Bar) -> Add -> Mesh -> and right below the other primitives you'll see the Monkey.

Why/What it is for? Only NaN programmers know. It is supposed to be a private joke among the blender developping team.

By the Way, Suzanne isn't the only joke included... but I won't spoil the surprize. You will bump with them on your daily work, that is for sure.

valar_king
04-08-2003, 06:59 PM
I don't know how many people know this but, if you select certain objects and press CTRL-0 it will make them the camera. I use it all the time to align spotlights.

Tommi
04-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I just checked the Monkey out... weird... Blender seems to be a comedy 3D app... :surprised
By the way, I'm not sure about that, but many of the summed up unobvious tricks in this list I know from the printed Blender manual of version 1.5 (?)... Did anyone buy this book, too?

Apollux
04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tommi
I just checked the Monkey out... weird... Blender seems to be a comedy 3D app... :surprised
By the way, I'm not sure about that, but many of the summed up unobvious tricks in this list I know from the printed Blender manual of version 1.5 (?)... Did anyone buy this book, too?

I don't have the 1.5 manual (it whent out of print more or less at the same time that I was introduced to Blender) but I do have the 2.0 manual and that is where I'm getting most of the tricks... they are 'documented' but they don't even appear on the book index :hmm: ... so that makes them really hard to find.

Da Bourz
04-10-2003, 06:52 AM
I got the 1.5 manual, I'll see if I can find some interesting ones ...

Apollux
06-24-2003, 05:20 AM
This was mentioned on the first ever tutorial I read about the new armature system (got there trough a link on the really old community site). The tutorial went off-line short after and nobody have never mentioned it again.

When setting up the skinning of your meshe and you are ready to create the vertex groups... it is worth some beforethough on the order you use to create them, because once they are created there is no way to re-arrange them on the vertex-group list.

That means that if you are a ultra-by-the-book person and you would like the vertex group alphabetically orded on the list them you must create them alphabetically.

.. Or, if you would like them to be ordered acording to theyr function (shoulders, then arms, then forearms, then palms, etc. etc. etc. you must create them on that order on the first place.

This may all sound like a stupid thing to care about, but I have a character with 39 vertex groups and finding quickly the one that need fixing is a little difficult since I created them just as they came to my mind.

Apollux
06-25-2003, 04:42 AM
Regarding UV maping and Face Gruoups Selections there seems to be the general misconception that you can't save your face groups selections on Blender.

Must people already know that from within the Face Select Mode (Potato Mode) you can switch into Edit Mode and whatever selection you do while in Edit Mode is passed back to Face Select Mode when you exit the Edit Mode.

Well... Did you ever wonder why Material Index Groups (that are nothing more than face groups with a common material on them) have those little 'Select' and ´Deselect' buttons there? Sure they come handy for later modification of the material index but that is not all about them.

Do this: Before starting the UV unwrapping job, cut your mesh by creating as many material indexes as you need, you can even assing each one a different color so you can be shure that there is no face orphan. Once you have the mesh all cut and sliced (so to speak) you enter in Face Select Mode, then switch into Edit Mode, selec the index containing the faces you want to unwrap, press 'Select', leave Edit Mode and VOILA!!! there you just have an entirely usefull face group waiting for you to unwrap. No more manual (and unprecise) face selection is needed.

If you later need to change the mapping of those faces don't fear, just make shure there isn't any face selected on Potato Mode, do as you did first (enter edit mode, select the index, exit edit mode) and there are your very same faces selected again with the UV mapping you already assigned to them.

-----
Edit:

Another benefic of have precise face selection groups is that, inicially, you don't have to worry about UV coordinates overlapping, since you know have the way to selec ONLY the faces you whant to. For example, you unwrap all your faces by groups and when you are done you can start thinking about scale and position withing the texture map, not like before when you have to solve those things as you go.

KotsVlok
07-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Don't know if this has happend to some other Blender users before but, once i was doing allot of stuff in Blender, and suddenly i got that little window that said this:

'CRASH?
Yes, Please!'

So i had to click on the 'Yes, Please'...and there goes my work without saving, stupid me :hmm:

Modron
09-24-2003, 05:05 AM
Four rather obscure hotkeys:

-Shift V: Position camera along face normal,
-T in IPO window: Choose animation mode, ie., linear, bezier, constant
-Alt S: scale selected vertices along face normal
-R in IPO window: Record mouse movements, and convert to IPO

sonix
09-25-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by KotsVlok
Don't know if this has happend to some other Blender users before but, once i was doing allot of stuff in Blender, and suddenly i got that little window that said this:

'CRASH?
Yes, Please!'

So i had to click on the 'Yes, Please'...and there goes my work without saving, stupid me :hmm:

This happens when using the beauty fill function in Edit mode for a mesh when using Shift F or CTRL F. There's some mad Bunny rabbit error message too, but I haven't come across that one yet.

If you go to the temp folder where you have Blender save it's temp .Blend files, reload the most recent one and this will save you losing the whole of your work. You don't even need to save a .Blend file for this to work. You can change the settings for this in the tool window at the top of the Blender screen.

When zooming into the render window, using Z key, Left click will reveal the colour numbers for the pixel below the mouse cursor. ie R 127, G 255, B 13.

Sonix.

Modron
10-06-2003, 12:46 PM
To animate procedural textures, press 'I' with the mouse pointer in the materials window, and select the type of keyframe you wish to set in the pop up menu. advance a few frames, tweak your materials, and set another keyframe. yup.

djcapelis
10-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Do not watch blender while it renders, go to a different vitual desktop. Blender doesn't have to keep X informed of what's going on and rendering speed increases by about a factor of 5.

jeaninmontreal
10-18-2003, 01:04 AM
I like border rendering.

In the rendering buttons find the ones marked "Border" and "Crop".
If you depress "Border", you can get a rendering of any part of what the camera sees you choose : go into a camera view using NumPad 0, press Shift+B, then mark the limits of the rendering as you want them using LMB.
Next render the usual way and the section you marked will be rendered first, then it will be integrated to the complete rendering.
If you wish that *only* the chosen section would be rendered then click on the button marked "Crop" also.

Jean

jeaninmontreal
10-18-2003, 02:33 AM
I like the fake user that allow to keep useful data blocks (materials, textures, base meshes) at hand even if they are not linked to an object.
I used it to set a default material that would have the shader I like best set rather than Lambert & Co.

Jean

Apollux
10-18-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by jeaninmontreal
I like the fake user that allow to keep useful data blocks (materials, textures, base meshes) at hand even if they are not linked to an object.
I used it to set a default material that would have the shader I like best set rather than Lambert & Co.

Jean

Speaking of the Fake Users, pressing Shift-F4 will turn the window into a ¨Data Select Window¨ where you can assign and de-assign fake users to almost everything.

jeaninmontreal
10-18-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Apollux
Speaking of the Fake Users, pressing Shift-F4 will turn the window into a ¨Data Select Window¨ where you can assign and de-assign fake users to almost everything.

By selecting by name and pressing Fkey I'd bet ;)

JM

polygnome
10-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Now something about editing:
When moving verticies by the x or the y axis press middle mouse button (MMB?) and it will move only along x or y axis (depends on current position of the vertex).
I don't know does it work with surface CVs.

jeaninmontreal
10-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by polygnome
Now something about editing:
When moving verticies by the x or the y axis press middle mouse button (MMB?) and it will move only along x or y axis (depends on current position of the vertex).
I don't know does it work with surface CVs.

Yes and soon you'll simply have to press Xkey, Y or Z, once to lock to global axes, twice to lock to local axes.

Jean

Apollux
10-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by jeaninmontreal
Yes and soon you'll simply have to press Xkey, Y or Z, once to lock to global axes, twice to lock to local axes.

Jean

Those Hot-Keys are already working when rotating bones.... real time savers !:buttrock:

sonix
10-26-2003, 12:25 PM
This is probably know by all of you, but I found a very useful tool for texturing.

If you have a scene with a hundred mesh objects, say 50 of them have one texture and 50 of them have another.

Say you want to change the texture to the first 50, but don't want to change each individually. Add a Plane out of the view of the camera. Add your new texture (Material) to the plane. Then use the Copy to material Buffer button in the header of the Material buttons.
Select one mesh object of the same sort that you want to change, open Material buttons and Paste from Material Buffer.

All the mesh objects with the same texture will now have the new texture.

I only add this as a tip because I used to change them all individually, which is very time consuming. This above method, is so much quicker.

Sonix.

Apollux
10-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Good one Sonix!!! That is totally new for me (and a real time-saver) :beer: :applause:

Apollux
10-28-2003, 04:35 AM
This one is REALLY cool.

Say you have a sub-surfed mesh.. did you know you can turn THAT sub-surf mesh into a normal mesh? Yeap, a mesh without sub-surf but that has the same density as the sub-surfed one!

Just select the sub-surfed mesh and press Alt-C (Conversion).

polygnome
10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
or this one: if the subsurfed mesh becomes (numb:)) black on s ome places, that's becouse of the normals. select all and press ctrl+n and then confirm. now it should look prettier!

Apollux
11-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Since the few last versions (since 2.28 I think) blender has a built-in all inclusive hot-key list.

Just open a text-editor window, and right besides the option to create a new text-buffer there is a menu option called ¨KEYLIST.intrr¨. Select that option and the full list is loaded in memory :p

--Edit: There are many hot-keys missing, specially the newest ones, like M to mirror a mesh, K for the Knife tool, Alt-Z for texturized view... but the list is a good start at least.

sonix
11-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Sometimes, accidental pressing of the F Key will result in a shaded mesh becoming completely black.

To rectify this problem, save your Blend file, Quit Blender then restart. Use CTRL O to open the last file and your mesh will have returned to correct shaded state.

Sonix.

sonix
11-13-2003, 12:12 AM
I want to mention a funky tool that's often missed in Blender.

Negative Metaballs. Add>Metaball as usual. Exit EDIT mode and Add>Metaball. This time before you exit EDIT mode, hit the Negative button in the EDIT buttons window. Then leave edit mode.

If you move the negative Metaball around, you can see the effect it has on the positive metaball.

Be careful though as negative metaballs are not displayed in the same manner as positive metaballs, you will only see the Pivot point not a meta-mesh.

This is a little test you can try to see the amazing effects negative metaballs can produce.

Make 1 Metaball, make it big.

Place three spheres (UV) inside, make them emit particles, one 100, one 200, one 300 particles.

Parent three negative metaballs, one to each sphere, and use duplivert on each sphere.

Make the 100 dup metaball quite big, the 200 medium and the 300 small. Hit ALT A to run animation in 3D window.

Sonix.

(Thanks to S68 at elYsiun.com for the example method. Click here for his negative metaball thread @ elYsiun. (http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14058&highlight=metaball) )

Modron
11-18-2003, 07:29 PM
I stumbled upon an interesting technique this morning that also involves particle emmitors:

Render some particles, and make the pic into an alpha mapped tga in gimp, load the image onto a plane, adjust the alpha settings accordingly, parent the plane to the emittor, press dupliverts, and you have one hell of a cluster of particles, and it takes relatively little time to render. Of course it doesn't have to be an alpha map of particles. That's entirely up to you.

iluvblender
02-07-2004, 01:51 AM
on windows, blender usually starts in windowed mode. You can make it open in full screen by :

1. pressing ALT+UP_ARROW_KEY or

2. clicking an icon (kind of like inverted ^) located at extreme right of the User Preferences window.

then press CTRL+U to save user preferences.

NOTE:
to come back to windowed mode press ALT+DOWN_ARROW_KEY

JanSan
02-16-2004, 12:26 AM
hi guy If you place the cursor in the object target, you choose rotate on pivot and rotate camera you emulate camera target of Max
Jansan

RISKBREAKER
02-17-2004, 11:52 PM
alternatively, add an empty, set the camera to track the empty with CTRL+T. Fix the axis tracking in animations window. Now the camera will look at the empty where-ever it moves. So move it to a target.

Usagi
03-24-2004, 01:52 PM
You can weld vertices by selecting them in edit mode and pressing Alt-M.

kramer3d
06-13-2004, 11:44 PM
LOTS OF COOL THINGS :eek: wish i had known earlier (like the fly mode)
:cry:
anyways... heres one of my favorites
to view wireframe of hidden verts, makesure you are in WIREFRAME MODE and then turn subsurf on and change the level to 0
If you already knew about this then :thumbsup:

Phl33t
08-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey, first post here.

Just somin I found kinda funny. When I was trying to boolean a converted subsurf it gave me an error saying "Internal error -- Sorry!"

|----------------|
- Phl33t -
|----------------|

JanSan
09-30-2004, 07:44 PM
New shortcut is Shift + Alt + right Button of the mouse, serves to select true loop, in vertices as in edges like in faces.
JanSan
Download http://web.netrevolution.com/gbeloin/elysiun/build/blender-windows20040929.zip

Dirkalo
10-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I stumbled across this one.

If you have more than one object in a single mesh, in Edit Mode, you can place your mouse cursor next to one of the verts in the desired object, then press the "L" key to select all of the verts linked to that one. "Alt+L" deselects in the same manner.

tikson
11-24-2004, 02:42 PM
I recently discovered that Shift+M selects all edges/vertices around holes in mesh. It is not in a hotkey and mouse action reference.

Bmud
11-26-2004, 06:26 AM
I recently discovered that Shift+M selects all edges/vertices around holes in mesh. It is not in a hotkey and mouse action reference.
That's awesome.. Then all you have to do is hit SHIFT-F to auto-fill those holes with "beauty fill". That's the coolest..

ilac
01-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Shift+M is an alternative shortcut for 'Select Non-manifold'. You'll find this in the select menu when in mesh edit mode. The listed short cut there is 'Ctrl+Alt+Shift+M'. 'Shift M' is obviously a lot more comfortable on the fingers though! :)

Note that it selects 'Non-manifold' which is not necessarily only holes eg, an edge with three faces coming out of it is also a non-manifold edge!

GuyGrr
01-29-2005, 05:24 AM
I don't know how old this is (or whether it's been mentioned before) ... but I just discovered it. Say you are in front or side view and you want to select an object, but it is hidden behind other objects. If you press Alt RMB over a group of objects, a menu will be displayed in the 3D window allowing you to pick the object you wish to select.

By the way ... this is my first post here :)

shadowdragon
02-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey cool I didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out :D

A2597
02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
to fill in four or fewer vertexes:

select the vertexes and press "F", this will fill in the empty space around them

to clean up a filled in space, select all the vertexes for the area, and press F. choose OK to make FCon
(And example of what I mean, add a plane in wireframe mode, extrude it several times, select all vertexes, then hit F.

Blender has a photohop-esque color picker. Simply click on the color preview next to the sliders to use it. Hit enter when you have the color you want.

GuyGrr
03-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I'll try that fgon technique. :)

Johan Auster
03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
In the material editor, hold down the ctrl-key while moving the sliders. This will make it jump +/- 100. Then, when usind shift, you it will do a +/-1, instead of jumping some values over, like in standard mode (without pressing anything). Of course, you can also just change the value by pressing the number.:)

Joat
03-18-2005, 02:15 AM
This might also be common knowledge, but I found it today and find it really useful:
When cut & pasting stuff from render window to {insert your fav image editor here} using alt+ PrtScr, cut and paste the render first, come back to render window and press "A". It changes the wiew to alpha and you get black & white mask to cut the background nicely in the {again, favourite image editor}.
Nice when you do testing in low res.

raythex
03-20-2005, 03:47 PM
i've had trouble with my objects randomly turning in to hte camera when i use that trick and i dont know how to make it so its not the camera

shadowdragon
03-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Select your camera and hit Cntrl numpad 0 to make it the active camera again.

2eXtreme
03-26-2005, 02:37 PM
wat are the other surprises as well as the monkey?

Room335
03-26-2005, 10:23 PM
New shortcut is Shift + Alt + right Button of the mouse, serves to select true loop, in vertices as in edges like in faces.
JanSan

Really cool, didn't know that. I just found this one I think it may have been mentioned before.

In edit mode when moving a vertex (G key) if you move it on the global X axis (Up/Down) then press the MMB it will be constrained to only move in that axis, or if you move it in X or Y axis then press MMB it will be constrained to move only in that axis.

You can always use the X, Y or Z key in grab mode, pressing once is global axis pressing twice is objects x, y or Z axsis. But I really like this MMB feature. Anything to speed up modeling is a plus!!!

Room335
03-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't know if this is commanly known or not, it's just that I've always used it and I don't remember where I learned it.

Edit mode, when you click the RMB near a vertex that vertex (face or edge)will be selected, RMB again will unselect. By holding the shift key this will allow you to add each selected vertex (face or edge) in that highlighted group.

Room335
03-26-2005, 10:54 PM
another one,

After you have saved a blend file or an image you can then save it in progression that is:

car .blend. or car .JPG

Next time do "Save As" then press the + (plus) key which will advance the blend file by 1 every time it's pressed. example: car .blend becomes car 1.blend. press again car 2.blend and so on.

The - (minus) key will subtract one. I've gotten into the habit of saving frequently. Yea I know there is now the undo feature but I like this better because it gives you a history in case you need to back a few levels of a build. You get a sved version at the level you choose.

JanSan
03-31-2005, 12:10 AM
On the window render (open), you press "A" Leaves the channel alpha the render thing in screen.
JanSan

GuyGrr
04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
With the window to render open, you press "A" Leaves the channel alpha the renderizado thing in screen.
JanSan

What? (Now I have to type to get to 10 characters ... :banghead: )

GuyGrr
04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's one that I have never heard anybody mention:

Let's say you have layers 1, 4 and 5 selected. If you press ~ (tilde), then all layers are visible. This I think everybody knows. But if you press Shift ~, then only the previous layers that you had selected will be visible. You can use Shift ~ to activate all, or show what used to be selected.

Pretty neat, huh?

meshula
04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
try blender -Y from the command line. There's other animals than monkeys hidden in Blender.

GuyGrr
04-12-2005, 05:40 AM
Interesting. How in the world did you stumble on that one?

meshula
04-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Programmer Trickery :-) I was trying to find out what the Python start up options might be.

djtrousdale
04-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Weird, I tried that but all it did was talk about a python's tongue in the command prompt. Do you mean that's it? Or are there other animal meshes in Blender and how do you get to them?

Room335
04-13-2005, 04:12 AM
I tried -y too and could not find anything else. Where do you look for them?

FYI try -Y (capitalised) you's get an explanation

fakeplastic
04-13-2005, 08:26 PM
try blender -Y from the command line. There's other animals than monkeys hidden in Blender.

Hmmm, I can't seem to find anything different. Just where are these other animals?

Is it specific to a certian version?

GuyGrr
04-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Hmmm, I can't seem to find anything different. Just where are these other animals?

Is it specific to a certian version?

Ok, maybe this will clear this up once and for all. There are no other meshes. This is just an Easter Egg ... text ... a programmer's whim. I think it's pretty cool. I always like these kind of "hidden" things. Sorry that there are no additional meshes ... to my knowledge. :)

fakeplastic
04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks,

I thought that i would have heard it before if there was additional meshes, but the above post made me wonder.

Glad to hear I am not as out of the loop as I though I was for a second.

coolwizj
04-26-2005, 03:01 PM

What do you mean -Y ? I'm confused... what command line? Be more specific... I wanna see the other animals...

- Ian

sonix
04-26-2005, 11:32 PM
What do you mean -Y ? I'm confused... what command line? Be more specific... I wanna see the other animals...

- Ian

Either open a dos window for Windows, or a console for Linux. Find the directory with Blender.exe, so you have something like this:- c:\Blender> At this prompt type ' blender -y ' then check in Blender's console window when it opens, for the message.

Or// At the Windows Run command, type ' blender -y '

The Y looks like the tongue of a Python, Blender uses Python code, hence the 'pun'.

There aren't any extra animal meshes in Blender, just the monkey head. :sad:

In the same way you can type blender -h to get a display in the Blender console window, of all switches to control Blender from the command line. Useful for rendering without Blender running.

Hope this clears it up.

Sonix.

fakeplastic
04-27-2005, 12:16 AM

- Ian

There are no additional animals to see. The other animal he is talking about is the mention of a python and a link to a website (which seems to have changed since then) for a picture.

To see this, for Windows, go to Start->Run and tye in CMD. Then, navigate to your blender directory, and once there type "blender.exe -Y"

Gonzo2305
05-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm extensively using this technique to model my stuff, learned it from the Tutor Guide #1:

If you want to perfectly align a selection of vertices on a plane, you just have to follow these little steps:

1.) Before you are selecting the vertices you want to align, position your 3D cursor in the plane that you want to align to (you could select the 4 vertices of a big plane and hit Shift+S / Cursor->Selection for example, but you can position it anywhere)

2.) Now select those vertices you want to align

3.) Choose "3D Cursor" under "Rotation/Scaling Pivot"

4.) Now with the S-key start scaling mode, hit the key of the axis you want to move the vertices on (X,Y,Z)

5.) Holding down the CTRL-key, you can now move the vertices in one line towards the cursor, until the value for the chosen axis is 0.000.

6.) Hit LMB. The vertices are perfectly aligned along a plane through the 3D cursor.

This even works very well while in perspective view mode, so you can align on the fly and don't have to switch to front/side/top view all the time.

Cheers

Gonzo

sonix
05-02-2005, 11:43 PM
UV mapping tip.

When you have the UV image/editor window open and have loaded an image you want to UV map to a mesh, click on the UV tab in the header bar and turn off 'Snap UV to pixels'.

This will help to maintain the UV layout when moving/scaling/rotating UV co-ords.

Sonix.

NeOmega
05-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Next time do "Save As" then press the + (plus) key which will advance the blend file by 1 every time it's pressed. example: car .blend becomes car 1.blend. press again car 2.blend and so on.

The - (minus) key will subtract one. I've gotten into the habit of saving frequently. Yea I know there is now the undo feature but I like this better because it gives you a history in case you need to back a few levels of a build. You get a sved version at the level you choose.

I just wanted to add, Blender automatically detects the number... meaning it does not need to be in any position. For instace: If you have a file named 001starport.png or .blend or whatever, pressing the + (plus) key will automatically name it 002starport.png. If you want to name it starport1.png, it will change it to starport2.png.

Two rules:
The filename has to have a number. It can be 0, or 1, or 3.141569.

If the file number is a negative, pressing + (plus) key will increase the "magnitude" of the negative number. I may have used magnitude wrong, if so, I mean pressing the + (plus) key will make -0.04 drop to -0.05. The - (minus) key will bring you only to 0, and then it will start to eat itself up. :)

Thanks for the original tip Room335, this is going to save me alot of work.

--Neo

MikeMLP
05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Room335 Wrote:
I don't know if this is commanly known or not, it's just that I've always used it and I don't remember where I learned it.

Edit mode, when you click the RMB near a vertex that vertex (face or edge)will be selected, RMB again will unselect. By holding the shift key this will allow you to add each selected vertex (face or edge) in that highlighted group.

Anyone know if there is a way to deselect vertecies you've already selected using the shift+RMB method? That is a problem I often run into-selecting a vertex accidentally that I didn't want and having to start my selection process all over again....

shadowdragon
05-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Just Shift+RMB on the bad vert. Unselecting works the same as selecting.

sonix
06-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Room335 Wrote:

Anyone know if there is a way to deselect vertecies you've already selected using the shift+RMB method? That is a problem I often run into-selecting a vertex accidentally that I didn't want and having to start my selection process all over again....

Pressing the U key (Undo in Edit mode) will also remove the last selection you made.

Blender 3D 2.37 has been released and is now available from www.blender3d.org (http://www.blender3d.org/)

Sonix.

kargath64
06-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Here's one that I have never heard anybody mention:

Let's say you have layers 1, 4 and 5 selected. If you press ~ (tilde), then all layers are visible. This I think everybody knows. But if you press Shift ~, then only the previous layers that you had selected will be visible. You can use Shift ~ to activate all, or show what used to be selected.

Pretty neat, huh?

Damn, that's a nice one. Very useful for my "turntable" project.

Sometimes, when trying to use a boolean on a tri-based mesh, Blender gives the prompt:
"Wanna Crash?"
>Yes Please!

... but clicking it doesn't crash :/

gabio
06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
you can zoom the floating panel in 3dview by having the mouse cursor over one of the and pressing (-)(+). I always keep some floating windows in the 3d view while modeling, but some time they are taking too much space and I can hide it, as i need to see the adresse of the vertex.

sonix
06-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Damn, that's a nice one. Very useful for my "turntable" project.

Sometimes, when trying to use a boolean on a tri-based mesh, Blender gives the prompt:
"Wanna Crash?"
>Yes Please!

... but clicking it doesn't crash :/

Blender is a lot more stable now compared to when that 'crash' request was coded. It also used to appear when using beauty fill after face fill. (Ctrl+F in edit mode)

Blender 2.37 now has a 'widget', which replicates the red/blue/green axis symbol in 3DSMax in the 3d windows. Rotation scaling and movement of objects/verts/faces etc, can be manipulated using the widget, or in the usual manner of earlier versions of Blender.

Sonix.

Haunt_House
06-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Whenever you are loading images as a texture, you can hold down Ctrl while clicking on the 'load' or 'open' button and the original preview window will appear. But be careful. The preview does not like certain file types and may crash. That is the reason why it is hidden (:

Haunt_House

Haunt_House
06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Here is another one. When you are inside a file browser for loading or saving something and you want to create a new directory, just add the name to the path on top of the window and confirm 'Makedir'.

Isn't that convenient?

Haunt_House

gabio
06-12-2005, 05:08 AM
Here is another one. When you are inside a file browser for loading or saving something and you want to create a new directory, just add the name to the path on top of the window and confirm 'Makedir'.

Isn't that convenient?

Haunt_House
you can also delete(x), move(m), or rename(n) a file. you can do action on multiple files by seling with right click

Room335
06-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Well I accidently discovered these today, not sure it it's new to 2.37 or earlier versions.

In edit mode:

Holding down the CTRL key and holding the LMB drag the mouse, it'll allow you select vertices in a free movement versus the B button. (Included the shift button to deselect. Try it, it'll make more sense.

Hold down the CTRL & MMB, move your mouse vertically and you can get a more controlled zoom versus scrolling the MMB wheel.

3DPRINCE
06-16-2005, 04:07 PM
to make screen saver !
rename the EXE file into SCR and right click it and install !

Dimos
06-20-2005, 03:34 AM
In Edit Mode and having selected only one vertex, pressing "E" will add a vertex, on a freely defined place, connected to the selected one (2.37a release).

sonix
06-20-2005, 09:17 PM
In Edit Mode and having selected only one vertex, pressing "E" will add a vertex, on a freely defined place, connected to the selected one (2.37a release).

As will holding CTRL and left clicking the mouse where you want the new vertex to be positioned.

Sonix.

Haunt_House
06-20-2005, 09:38 PM
If you hit ctrl-alt-shift-Tkey in a window, Blender will tell you with how many fps the graphics card can redraw that window. Valuable Benchmark

Haunt_House

gabio
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
ctrl-d in 3dview can show alpha texture as wire.
very usefull for preview without rendering.

Haunt_House
06-23-2005, 12:19 AM
this one fits to the ctrl-D tip of Gabio:

If you have an object (works best on a mesh plane) with an image texture, you can use alt-Vkey outside editmode. This will adjust the object's size values so that the image won't be stretched when projected.

Haunt_House

SanderWit
06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
How can I make a render wich shows the distance of object to camera as colours (b/w)?

I think it is also called Zbuffer. I want to have a render of a scene where black is the object far away and white is near the camera.

Does anybody know a way to achieve this?

sonix
06-27-2005, 11:27 PM
How can I make a render wich shows the distance of object to camera as colours (b/w)?

I think it is also called Zbuffer. I want to have a render of a scene where black is the object far away and white is near the camera.

Does anybody know a way to achieve this?

There are several threads on this topic at Blender's user forums. http://www.elysiun.com If you can't find the threads immediately, use the search function.

Sonix.

SanderWit
07-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks Sonix, I found a script that makes it possible to save these depth renders.

shadowman99
07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
ctrl-d in 3dview can show alpha texture as wire.
very usefull for preview without rendering.

this doesn't seem to work in 2.37a

Rhellik
07-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Room335 Wrote:

There is another way. Press B and then draw a box with MMB. Anything cought in the box will be deselected. Also works with BB and the draw selection. Draw with MMB and you deselect.

fligh
07-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Shadowman:
this doesn't seem to work in 2.37a

Must be an Image texture and in wireframe to see it.

Robert-Fletcher
08-10-2005, 09:59 PM
CTRL-Up arrow maximises your view.. god i used to know so many of these. Havent used blender since 2.1

oooh The strokes interface, Left click n draw a Z shape to engage scale mode, A C shape engages rotate mode and an I shape ingages move mode. its un predictable tho

gabio
08-11-2005, 01:31 AM
rt']CTRL-Up arrow maximises your view.. god i used to know so many of these. Havent used blender since 2.1

oooh The strokes interface, Left click n draw a Z shape to engage scale mode, A C shape engages rotate mode and an I shape ingages move mode. its un predictable tho
It go like this:
-a straight line: move.
-a circle: rotate
-a V: scale

Robert-Fletcher
08-13-2005, 10:46 PM
It go like this:
-a straight line: move.
-a circle: rotate
-a V: scale

lol oh well its been years just thought i'd try n help

tikson
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
I found this pretty useful:
using construction widget press Shift and then you get precision mode for fine tuning. Then release left mouse button (LMB) and holding Shift down press it again, then you'll get moving along another axis.

Inktvlek
08-23-2005, 10:07 AM
If you have a material that you want to apply to a lot of objects at once:

1. Select all the objects you want to apply the material to.
2. Apply a material. (this only applies to the last selected object)
3. press CTRL+L > Materials. (this links the material of the last selected object to all the other objects)

very useful trick if you ask me!

fligh
10-07-2005, 04:29 PM
In 2.38... Ctrl-Alt-Scrollwheel and Shft-Alt-Scrollwheel

Inktvlek
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
In 2.38... Ctrl-Alt-Scrollwheel and Shft-Alt-Scrollwheel
Works in 2.37a aswell!
(for those that are wondering now: this pans or tilts the view!)

soriyath
11-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I am not sure whether this has already been posted, but I didn't want to go through all the eight pages and these last hotkeys helped me a lot.

CTRL + N = Recalculate normals outside (you might have to select faces before doing so)
SHIFT + CTRL + N = Recalculate normals inside

These last two hotkeys are useful when you extrude some edges and see a kind of seam in between (due to normals pointing in different directions).

Then, after selecting an edge, CTRL + NumPad+ selects the face associated with this edge. CTRL + NumPad- unselect the face.

Alt + J when having two tris selected makes a quad.

Everybody knows about the Remove Doubles option (hotkey: W), did you know that in editing window under the mesh tools panel, you can adjust the "limit" option so that "Remove Doubles" has more or less tolerance (i.e. weld vertices that are further?)

After rendering, you can use hotkey J to use a spare render. After the second render, you can use it again (hotkey J) to jump back to the first render, and then back to the second, thus making it easier to compare slight changes.

Last one maybe would be the X, Y, and Z hotkeys. After S (for scaling), R (rotating), G (translating, grabing), you can use X, Y or Z to constraint the transformation to the X, Y, Z axis, respectively. I have seen somebody constraining transformation to a plan (XY, XZ, YZ) But I don't know how he did it.

Hope it helps.

toomuchcookies
11-27-2005, 08:47 PM
I have seen somebody constraining transformation to a plan (XY, XZ, YZ) But I don't know how he did it.

ok, that's even more incredible:
G, then Shift-X means moving in the Z-Y-Plane. Analog: Shift-Z=XY, Shift-Y=XZ... Works with scaling. with Rotating it's the same effect X=Shift-X=rotate around X-Axis.

enjoy

(this is my first posting here, so be gentle with me.. ;))

blenderman
12-23-2005, 01:11 AM
toomuchcoockies wrote: (this is my first posting here, so be gentle with me.. ;)

the last hotkeys are very useful and totally new for me thanx a lot .:thumbsup:

sonix
12-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Combining edit levels on a mesh.

When in Edit mode for a mesh (TAB key) you can choose the level that you wish to edit at. At the bottom of the 3D window, there are four buttons. Vertex, edge, face & backface cull.

By default the vertex level is selected, if you hold SHIFT and press the edge button, you can use both at once.

Sonix.

toomuchcookies
12-23-2005, 09:46 AM
How about this one: I just found out, that to change select mode (vertex, edge or face) you can press Ctrl-Tab. But this way you can't use the Shift-Key to ADD the select modes.. Still could be useful, if you don't have a header for the window you're working in..

toomuchcookies

AD Edge
12-27-2005, 01:21 AM
fly mode

enter camera mode and press Shift-F
move the mouse slowly
space to keep the orientation
escape to cancel fly mode

Martin

By pressing the LMB you can move forward - pressing the MMB puts it in reverse....

AD Edge
12-27-2005, 01:28 AM
I'll get it started with:

You already know that Numpad 1, 7 and 3 puts you on front, top and left view, but did you know that Ctrl+1, Ctrl+7 and Ctrl+3 puts you on back, down and right view (the opposite views) ?

Very helpful. I'm sick of having to press 4 or 6 to rotate around to the oppisites. Did you know that pressing Ctrl+4 moves the screen left while Ctrl+6 moves it right. The same for Ctrl+8 and Ctrl+2 - moving the screen up and down (easyer done with Shift+MMB).:thumbsup:

AD Edge
12-27-2005, 01:30 AM
:twisted: Pressing Ctrl+Left Arrow moves to the next screen selection. Ctrl+Right Arrow moves to the previous...:twisted:

toomuchcookies
12-27-2005, 06:57 AM
:twisted: Pressing Ctrl+Left Arrow moves to the next screen selection. Ctrl+Right Arrow moves to the previous...:twisted:
Does anyone know how to change scene with the keyboard?

toomuchcookies

SylvanMist
12-27-2005, 07:30 PM
ctrl + uparrow/downarrow

toomuchcookies
12-27-2005, 09:09 PM
ctrl + uparrow/downarrow
That doesn't change the current scene! It maximizes, restores the frame, in which the mouse is..

toomuchcookies

harkyman
01-07-2006, 04:19 PM
In the text window (where you load and write Python scripts), if you have a line that extends off the end of the screen, you can middle-click-drag the screen left and right, as there is no left<->right scroll bar. Been using Blender for years and just learned this the other day!

hano
01-09-2006, 04:39 AM
measuring, length, distance on an object.

Hit "F9" (editing), you should have split (2) windows. One "3d" the other "buttons"
go to the Mesh Tools 1 panel and press the Edge Length, Edge Angles and the dimensions will appear on your selections in the 3d view.

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9269/measure0cl.th.jpg (http://img480.imageshack.us/my.php?image=measure0cl.jpg)

BeBraw
02-18-2006, 12:35 PM
1. You can use right mouse button to select multiple items to append. Doesn't seem to work with files.

2. You can scale simultaneously on two axis' this way:
For widget people:
Select scaling mode and select the axis not to scale with selecting button at the same time as you hit shift.

For non-widget people:
Hit s, hit shift and the key of axis not to scale. You can hit it again to scale on special axis (global, local, normal, view) selected by alt-space. Normally it is local.

karthikarctic
03-15-2006, 05:07 AM
are there any shortcuts for toggling vertex, edge and face mode. I thinkl i could be a boon while modelling. pls suggest.

iluvgfx
03-15-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi Karthik.

In edit mode use CTRL+TAB to toggle the modes from the menu.

Cheers,
Satish.

Milky
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
I started a wikipage in the Blender 3D noob to pro wikibook with these things. I only wrote in one thing for now, I hope you'll fill in too!

Here's the link, I put it under the Miscellaneous tutorials section:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Cool_Things

jimmac
05-21-2006, 10:23 PM
One thing that's extremely useful but wasn't so obvious to me was a method to align selected vertices onto a plane. It's done simply by using scale transformation and restricting the axis complementary to the plane you want to end up with: S,X (for ZY plane), 0. And voila! your vertices are nicely aligned onto a ZY plane.

Milky
07-14-2006, 05:24 PM
One thing that's extremely useful but wasn't so obvious to me was a method to align selected vertices onto a plane. It's done simply by using scale transformation and restricting the axis complementary to the plane you want to end up with: S,X (for ZY plane), 0. And voila! your vertices are nicely aligned onto a ZY plane.
Yeah this is a good one, I use it all the time.

theshearrod
07-17-2006, 07:28 AM
sorry dont mean to rain on anyones parade but alot of the stuff I have read can indeaded be found in the the 2.3 manual, There are a few things that were left out of the printed manual but they can be found in the wiki online version. Under help in blender 4.2 go to maual and it will take you there

tcsavage
08-06-2006, 10:48 AM
If you hold Ctrl when clicking on 'load image' or a similar button it uses the image browser instead. This is undocumented because it is an unstable feature.

iluvgfx
08-18-2006, 01:10 PM
If you hold Ctrl when clicking on 'load image' or a similar button it uses the image browser instead. This is undocumented because it is an unstable feature.

Thats neat.

MichaelR
09-09-2006, 09:48 AM
yeah thats a really cool feature :)

OpenDut
09-28-2006, 04:12 PM
sorry dont mean to rain on anyones parade but alot of the stuff I have read can indeaded be found in the the 2.3 manual, There are a few things that were left out of the printed manual but they can be found in the wiki online version. Under help in blender 4.2 go to maual and it will take you there

Wow, threshearrod, can you send me a copy of Blender 4.2?

If you have Ton's number, give him a call and tell him you have Blender 4.2. I'm sure he would love to try out a version of Blender which he hasn't even made.:D

dreemy1
10-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I am new to all this and having trouble understanding the very basics of where to even load files from yafray and blender. Have had no training and am trying to teach self as am on a limited income. Any tutorials on the very basics? Thanks for any help.

Room335
10-18-2006, 06:12 AM
First, this is the wrong thread for asking questions.

Second - try here http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

third - You'll find a lot of inforamtion at http://blenderartists.org/forum/ and http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

And for Blender related news and tutorials http://www.blendernation.com/

Welcome and Happy Blending

Noodlesgc
10-20-2006, 04:11 PM
shift + c resets the 3d cursor. however it doesnt align you to it you have to the press C

TRexian
11-20-2006, 08:52 PM
I have only recently started using 2.42 (was on 2.37 IIRC before that) and found the Preview button - shift-p in object mode. Rather than rendering the entire scene, I can focus on just the parts I was recently modelling and see what it will look like rendered. Plus, the window is scalable by tugging on the bottom right corner, and "minimizable" so I can move it out of the way, but still have it near.

VERY neat feature IMHO.

(Post #2 here, so hopefully this will validate.) ;) :)

marlu
11-25-2006, 01:54 AM
hi, im new to blender and python, i want to learn them. can you give me an idea if say example, we have finished already the design but we need to put a button that will trigger the zoom view or distance of the camera, can we do it automatically with blender or we need to code python scripts for it to work?

Let say the design is done and saved already in blend file, now how can we make it zoom in to a certain area by using the mouse or a generated button, that the viewers will need to press if they want closer view to our artwork/design.

any idea about it?

marlu
11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
any one pls. explain the idea on how we can make a design interactive

kitsune_e
01-21-2007, 01:15 AM
I think the game engine is what you are looking for, but you will still probably need some python to do what you want. There was a (fairly old) book on the Blender game engine released by NoStarch publishing - it should still be relevant if you can find a copy. Also there are a bunch of resources in the Blender manual, the wiki, and at the Blenderartists forum. Google is your friend :)

BTW: This thread is for sharing Blender secrets you know, not asking for things you don't know about.

Umm... 'f' controls brush size in sculpt mode and 'shift-f' controls strength!
Oh yeah, and 'x' is the better delete button! Much easier to reach from the home row ;)

CaptainBarbosa
04-07-2007, 02:39 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been posted. To constrain a transformation to two axes at once, use Shift+(axis you want to exclude). For example, if you wanted to scale something on the XZ plane, you would hit 'S' to scale, then 'Shift+Y' to lock the Y axis.

gauravanim
04-08-2007, 06:55 AM
i am sorry if i am duplicatin the tip

but i want to repeat its great

in edit mode
to hide the vertices of a 3d object

select the vertices

either by right click , right click+shift, or by pressing B

Press H

waHH the vertices are not visible

to see them all press alt+h

nice one for compliacted 3d stuff

danizzil14
04-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Here's an awsome one! There actually is a function for the RT dialog right in the animations panel!!! And it has absolutly nothing to do with animations!! lol heres the link!!

HEre (http://www.blendernation.com/2007/04/02/history-of-rt/)

Chucker
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
many of you I expect already know this, but I discovered CTRL + T triangulates models so I can joyfully export 'em to Unreal 2004.

iluvgfx
04-28-2007, 05:56 PM
If you have accidentally brought 2 objects into "Local View" mode (NUMPAD / KEY), you can send the selected object out of local view by pressing MKEY and click the popup.

Chucker
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
CTRL + J joins meshes together (much like 3DMax's "attach" in edit poly mode).

Yes I was a max user, aah the days.

teamcarlisle
05-10-2007, 08:26 PM
this might be obvious, and probably in the manual somewhere, but I discovered by accident that if you hold "shift" while using the Scroll wheel it pans the view up and down, "ctrl" and the scroll wheel pan the view left and right, and holding "alt" while using the Scrool wheel advances through the animation frames

Room335
05-19-2007, 05:59 AM
I don't know how long this has been available but today I discovered by accident that if you hold down either the Left Mouse or Right mouse button for about 2 seconds, it brings up the add dialog. (Space bar)

FreakyDude
05-19-2007, 09:16 AM
so that's why that thing shows up every now and then.
I work on some dense meshes for work, and transforming it can be very slow cause my workpc has a crappy integrated 3D card. when transforming, occasionally that thing comes up. Not too handy really.

drewfarr
05-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, its always annoying when it pops up during a proportional edit, and you accidentaly blow up your models nose or something :)

paulR
05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't know how long this has been available but today I discovered by accident that if you hold down either the Left Mouse or Right mouse button for about 2 seconds, it brings up the add dialog. (Space bar)
so that's why that thing shows up every now and then.
I work on some dense meshes for work, and transforming it can be very slow cause my workpc has a crappy integrated 3D card. when transforming, occasionally that thing comes up. Not too handy really.
Yeah, its always annoying when it pops up during a proportional edit, and you accidentaly blow up your models nose or something :)

Though you can't turn it off completely, you can adjust the time it takes befor it pops up.
Pull down the preferences window and find it under View & Controls. Set it as high as it goes and you should see it less often. :)
( mind that in Left Button mode: RMB == LMB and LMB == RMB )

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4885/buttontboxholddelaybe8.png (http://imageshack.us)

drewfarr
05-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Someting interesting I found out today:

You can have multiple selections modes truned on in edit mode(for meshes).
Have it set to vertex select mode, and just shift click on the face select mode button, and you can select either type....

It works in all combinations, definately a cool feature......

Chucker
05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
iondrewfarr thats a pretty good find there. I just discovered the handy ALT + RMB selects edge loops.

Can anyone tell me how you use soft selection in Blender (I miss it from 3DMax).

drewfarr
05-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Soft Selection, Like brush selection mode?

Hit b once for box select mode(selects all points/faces within box), hit b again for brush select mode, just select like youre painting....(you can deselect with it too)

fktt
05-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Hit b once for box select mode(selects all points/faces within box), hit b again for brush select mode, just select like youre painting....
(you can deselect with it too) just hold down MMB for that. ;)

FreakyDude
05-24-2007, 06:22 AM
That's not what he ment, what he wants is pressing the O button. In in the header of the 3d view as well. several kind of falloff methods to choose from as well.

And if you like the alt rmb edge loop select, maybe you like the ctrl alt ring select as well.
Both these things work on vertex/edges and faces. shift and a combination of these add or removes from the selection.
Also available through either the ctrl e menu or the space>select menu.
Have fun.

Chucker
05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
cheers Freakydude , yeah I always found the CTRL + E menu very useful but Proportional Edit Fallof as Blender calls it is what I was after.

The arc buttons to the right of the main Prp. Edit button (orange circle) are handy, just would be nice if it has the couloured effect that Max has. Still I can CTRL + "+" or "-" a selection which is pretty nifty.

fktt
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
fixed the quote.. :/

CDMJ
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't know if anybody has seen it already, but a very nice combination of the F key is there now:
F for Scale of brush
Ctrl-F to Rotate the brush (cool with procedural textures)
Shift-F to Strengthen th brush intensity

With these, you can do some serious damageleaving your fingers ready on those keys while sculpting. :)

Chucker
05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
CDMJ - I could possibly hug you!!

And now for a blatant showoff moment from the me - your right 'tis very fast along with Multires which stores your sculps no matter what sub-D. Zbrush/Mudbox you better watch out.

CDMJ
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
That's a nice piece of work there,Chucker! Keep going and post it when you're done!
I've been just learning how the new stuff works, and I'm glad it came in handy!
:)
Craigo

MynPheos
06-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Shift+Space and there is no need to stretch for Ctrl+UpArrow

lukasdesign
06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I hate hot keys when I have to get my fingers off my mouse..

Joat
07-07-2007, 09:55 PM
...but can we please keep this sticky thread for what it is intended? It is sticky so people can find it, and cool things in Blender that are not so obvious. Let's keep it that way.

You can start new threads by clicking "start new thread".

Expecially advisable if you want to express your opinions, ask for advice or show your wip:s. People in cgsociety are generally glad to help out. They do not necessarily find your questions or wips here.

If someone cleans up this thread, this message can be deleted too.

NOOBO
08-21-2007, 08:41 AM
when there is too many cubes and you want to choose one of it move the mouse pointer to the Edge and press (L=key)and Enjoy:)XD

tlaiho
08-28-2007, 01:18 AM
I have read these posts and they put me wonder the values and logic of software designers.

I think that "hidden" feature is a no feature at all. I feel that there is lots of work to in order to make software more easier to use. I mean is there any sense to use all your time and effort to think how to use software? There should be another kind of philosophy to design user interfaces as it now seems to be. If it takes too long time to understand from end users how to use the software it is failure of the software designers not the failure of the end users.

The principles should be like the following ones:

1. If more you need to use the manual the less succesfull is the design of the product. The designers should think how to make the software as simple and intuitive as possible. The ideal situation is that there should be no manuals at all. UI should always guide the user to do what he wants.

2. Always assume average IQ of the user. Actually average IQ is too high, maybe a little below it. Most of us have average IQ, you know. If you need astronomical IQ in ordrer to use the software its bad design. Intelligent and creative designers can create user interfaces which are easy to use. It is not impossible at all but perhaps not easy.

3. We have very little time here to learn all things. Life is short. There is no too much time to learn manuals. Look at Apple's OS X or Ipod. Why they are good? Because they are made easy to use. They use lots of time to think how to make the thing as easy to use as possible. That is the key to success. People want to concentrate to content of the design not to manuals.

People often blame themselves that they are stupid because they do not learn how to use some software or hardware. This is usually not true: most of us has at least average IQ. If this is not enough to learn the software it is a designers fault, not the users fault.

Why Gimp is not the grafics people favorite? After all its free? Does it lack some features? Maybe few of them but I think its most flaw is simply its horrible user interface. I believe that people want to pay $999 of Photoshop simply because it is really nice to use. I have used gimp and photoshop and if I had that extra money I would immidiately buy Photoshop. That is because Gimp is simply so horrible to use. I seldomly need something in Gimp which it does not have as a feature. But to do something in Gimp is simply pain - even the most simple tasks. Paint is much, much better in this respect and maybe it will someday be something useful. I hope so.

It seems that people who are good to code software do not have training in actual ui design at all. It looks that these coders always assume that most of the users are Mensa people. They are not. Only 2% can be. The only good thing here is that if you can use some complex software like Maya you may get a job because its so difficult that not everybody can handle it. I think this is not a good thing, you should get your job because you have good design ideas and the question how you can use some software should be rather irrelevant.

I think that the next step should be how make such a 3D software that even a total moron can learn it rather quickly. You already can make lots of thing with existing features of the blender but the bigger problem is how to learn them quicky. Software should be made for people not otherwise.

Chucker
08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
here here tlaiaho.

I agree UI design is something lacking in a great many packages. Take the difference between Maya and max, sometimes some simple operations in Max are so (albeit elegantly) much more complex to me in Maya.

But I feel I must stick up for blender, its not that hard to jump right in there and learn.

tlaiho
08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, sometimes I feel so frustrated with these softwares but I think I am not the onlyone. But it feels nice when you learn something. I just need to get pushing on and learn Blender. It is a grate software but needs practise.

kernond
09-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Here's a cool one that I don't think has been mentioned (I searched the thread to make sure).

When vertex painting, you can sample any color on the screen within the viewport by Right-Clicking. The color palette will update accordingly. This includes sampling a color from any background images, the colors of objects, and even the colors of the Blender UI. This is a great time-saver when used with a background reference image.

I haven't tested to see if this works with all of Blender's color palettes.

Chucker
09-09-2007, 08:44 AM
is that the same with texture painting in the viewport also?

etyrnal
10-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I have read these posts and they put me wonder the values and logic of software designers.

I think that...

I agree very much - INTUITIVENESS.

Even very complex software can be made to be MORE simple.

And yes - some software covers VERY VERY VERY complex concepts and background processes etc.

But it can still be made MUCH MUCH MUCH simpler.

This is why we use computers - isn't it?

And this is why we write a specialized app - to put complex power in a simplifying package... is it not?

After all, while we could type in every single coordinate or parameter of every single element or characteristic... we have the mouse... drag and drop to copy values... drag to adjust values... drag and drop to apply materials... drag to position materials... etc etc etc...

I think what has happend is that the same technically-minded, technically-oriented, concept-mastering software and routine writers make a GUI that makes sense to them, and it makes sense to them... because they can see behind the scenes -- they wrote it.

I certainly hope that i do NOT sound like i'm criticizing negatively... i'm just urging for and pushing for the "even better" -- onwards and upwards...

eliminate settling for "how it is"

fktt
10-29-2007, 11:06 PM
You know, that is an off topic post ;) but anyways: blenders ui IS all the time changing to better, they are little changes but they do happen, youve got to realise that, the developers resources(like time) are limited(btw the devs do know the ui's draw backs, don't worry[some developers even use blender at thir real jobs, Matt Ebb (http://mke3.net/), aka. broken(or brnk on this board) for an example]), and that features are also very important, for me personally blenders ui is good enough(thats just my personal opinion, not saying that it couldn't be better, ofc.) and features are more important, allso note that Ton will be(if not already is?) recoding the events system in blender, so that the ui and some other parts of blender could be customised & tweaked more, and that new features could be added more easily in the future..! ;)

paulo_gomes
02-17-2008, 09:38 AM
i'm using the svn build, and if you set the RT to 1 then a new menu appears, where you can set the amount of subsurf, particles, shadow samples and AO and SSS quality for preview proposes. very cool.

Ayreon
05-16-2008, 02:15 PM
@paulo_gomes:
I saw your post just now and wondered what you meant by puttint RT to 1?
Thanks,

Ayreon

paulo_gomes
05-17-2008, 06:52 AM
in the scene menu (f10), in the right side of play button, bellow the anim button. set the RT to 1 and a tab called simplification will appear :)

toontje
05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned already:
When editing your mesh you can enter any of the vertex/edge/face modes in any combination simultanousely. Just keep shift pressed while choosing the other modes.

Room335
05-28-2008, 01:41 AM
toontje - I didn't know that one. Pretty cool feature.

iluvgfx
07-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Say you have linked an object from once scene to another scene (using Make links menu CTRL+L -> To Scene....). Now the number of users of the object is 2.

If you now delete the object using X-KEY, it will be removed from the current scene and it will continue to exist in other scene. (Number of users becomes 1)

Here is the cool part....

If you want to delete the object from all the scenes that it was linked to, use SHIFT+X. This will erase the selected objects globally.

iluvgfx
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Here is the process

0. Go edit mode and then choose face selection mode.
1. Select the face(s) you want to copy to.
2. Then finally select the face you want to copy UV coords from (rot/scale)
3. Press CTRL+C to get "Copy Face Selected" menu. From that choose, "Active UV Coords"
4. Tada!!!

This process obviously works for faces in the same object and does not work across different objects.

Haunt_House
07-04-2008, 11:23 AM
The shortcut for the selectmodes is Ctrl-Tab in Editmode (doesn't work with armatures, where it switches Pose-Objectmode)

A menu appears and like most Blender menus, you can choose with number keys.

So:

Ctrl-Tabkey - 1 = Vertex select
Ctrl-Tabkey - 2 = Edge select
Ctrl-Tabkey - 3 = Face select

Once you get used to, it's faster than using the buttons. Especially since smaller windows tend to hide the buttons.

Oh, Ctrl-1key, Ctrl-2key, Ctrl-3key and Ctrl-4key add a subsurf-modifier or, if already present, change the subsurf level.

Cheers

Haunt

Loolarge
07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
When you hit the R key, you rotate an object on the view plane. But if you hit R again you can rotate your object freely in the "trackball" mode.

Slider7
08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Offtopic again but kinda on topic I guess :)

I think that "hidden" feature is a no feature at all. I feel that there is lots of work to in order to make software more easier to use. I mean is there any sense to use all your time and effort to think how to use software? There should be another kind of philosophy to design user interfaces as it now seems to be. If it takes too long time to understand from end users how to use the software it is failure of the software designers not the failure of the end users.

The principles should be like the following ones:

1. If more you need to use the manual the less succesfull is the design of the product. The designers should think how to make the software as simple and intuitive as possible. The ideal situation is that there should be no manuals at all. UI should always guide the user to do what he wants.

2. Always assume average IQ of the user. Actually average IQ is too high, maybe a little below it. Most of us have average IQ, you know. If you need astronomical IQ in ordrer to use the software its bad design. Intelligent and creative designers can create user interfaces which are easy to use. It is not impossible at all but perhaps not easy.

3. We have very little time here to learn all things. Life is short. There is no too much time to learn manuals. Look at Apple's OS X or Ipod. Why they are good? Because they are made easy to use. They use lots of time to think how to make the thing as easy to use as possible. That is the key to success. People want to concentrate to content of the design not to manuals.

People often blame themselves that they are stupid because they do not learn how to use some software or hardware. This is usually not true: most of us has at least average IQ. If this is not enough to learn the software it is a designers fault, not the users fault.

Why Gimp is not the grafics people favorite? After all its free? Does it lack some features? Maybe few of them but I think its most flaw is simply its horrible user interface. I believe that people want to pay $999 of Photoshop simply because it is really nice to use. I have used gimp and photoshop and if I had that extra money I would immidiately buy Photoshop. That is because Gimp is simply so horrible to use. I seldomly need something in Gimp which it does not have as a feature. But to do something in Gimp is simply pain - even the most simple tasks. Paint is much, much better in this respect and maybe it will someday be something useful. I hope so.

It seems that people who are good to code software do not have training in actual ui design at all. It looks that these coders always assume that most of the users are Mensa people. They are not. Only 2% can be. The only good thing here is that if you can use some complex software like Maya you may get a job because its so difficult that not everybody can handle it. I think this is not a good thing, you should get your job because you have good design ideas and the question how you can use some software should be rather irrelevant.

I think that the next step should be how make such a 3D software that even a total moron can learn it rather quickly. You already can make lots of thing with existing features of the blender but the bigger problem is how to learn them quicky. Software should be made for people not otherwise.

I agree. Blender WILL be adopted in MUCH MUCH MUCH more places if they just re-did the UI. I am 100% sure of this.

The problem is who do you listen to?
Some people like Photoshop some like Painter.
Some people prefer Maya's UI to Max's and some like the way Lightwave does it.

Personally I think Blender should copy the UI of Cinema4D!! :D

ornitorrincos
09-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Offtopic again but kinda on topic I guess :)

I agree. Blender WILL be adopted in MUCH MUCH MUCH more places if they just re-did the UI. I am 100% sure of this.

The problem is who do you listen to?
Some people like Photoshop some like Painter.
Some people prefer Maya's UI to Max's and some like the way Lightwave does it.

and some people just love blender UI ;)

Green67
10-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Is there a "Blender.py" file I'm missing?
I can do an "import Blender" from within Blender's Python Shell panel;
but Blender is Slow on my machine and I'd like to code & run some python scripts from IDLE (much faster). However the "import Blender" doesnt work from any program outside of Blender.

Any help would be appreciated,
Green
greenlamar3020@yahoo.com
http://greenlamar.fortunecity.com/index.htm
Everybody wants to Rule the World

RendoGog
10-24-2008, 11:15 AM

ooohh that makes me shudder, the idea of getting rid of blenders nice node based texture system and replacing it with c4Ds debacle :eek:

Liquidape
02-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Here is a cool one that snuck into blender just recently (2.48 I think).

To "Snap" the view to the axis views without touching the numpad, start your rotation with the MMB and then press and hold CTRL. When you get near an axis view (front, side, top, bottom, back) the camera will snap into the orthogonal view looking down the axis. Very handy for Tablet users so you don't have to one hand off the pen/mouse.

danielHinton
02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
ooohh that makes me shudder, the idea of getting rid of blenders nice node based texture system and replacing it with c4Ds debacle :eek:

Blender's UI doesn't compare to C4D's. It may be convenient for power users, but it ain't for everyone. I have nothing against Blender, but as a former user I have to say that it has it's faults - one of which is the inability to split the display over multiple monitors, the lack of an option to keyframe every property (including render settings!), the lack of an option to save render presets within projects etc etc etc.

have you ever used xpresso? it's a node-based programming system native to cinema4d that works in exactly the same way as the blender material system....except it can be applied to most if not all of c4d.

RendoGog
02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Blender's UI doesn't compare to C4D's. It may be convenient for power users, but it ain't for everyone. I have nothing against Blender, but as a former user I have to say that it has it's faults - one of which is the inability to split the display over multiple monitors, the lack of an option to keyframe every property (including render settings!), the lack of an option to save render presets within projects etc etc etc.

have you ever used xpresso? it's a node-based programming system native to cinema4d that works in exactly the same way as the blender material system....except it can be applied to most if not all of c4d.

Must admit I haven't I last tried c4d at version 6 so I don't know if this has been added since, or whether I missed it but at that time the default mat system was horrid.

Don't get me wrong I think blender is incredible for the price, but I won't say it's perfect.

danielHinton
02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Don't get me wrong I think blender is incredible for the price, but I won't say it's perfect.

my sentiments exactly! :)

iluvgfx
04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Thank you for that tip Liquidape. :thumbsup:

Here is a cool one that snuck into blender just recently (2.48 I think).

To "Snap" the view to the axis views without touching the numpad, start your rotation with the MMB and then press and hold CTRL. When you get near an axis view (front, side, top, bottom, back) the camera will snap into the orthogonal view looking down the axis. Very handy for Tablet users so you don't have to one hand off the pen/mouse.

iluvgfx
04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
to quickly step through animation frames, use ALT+MMB scroll... (to and fro)

redbyte
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi all!
Given that this thread has reached 13 pages, I thought I'd compile all the best tricks from this thread into an easy to read list:

25 Useful Blender tricks that aren't so obvious (http://www.blenderguru.com/25-useful-blender-tricks-that-arent-so-obvious/)

It includes video and pictures demonstrations to help out.

If you enjoyed the post or think I've missed out something out, feel free to comment here or on my blog.

Enjoy!

Bao2
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I like to model using not the viewport background image but a image in a plane. So I create a plane and then create a material with the image, unwrap the plane and so I can see the plane with the image in the viewport.

Well, select the plane with the image and: alt + v
and the plane adapts to the size of the image. Now scale the plane to the size you want.

Before knowing this I always was creating the plane with similar measures to the image.

dac77
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
When you choose to show in node editor backgroud viewer node, then you can Shift-MMB drag to move the backgroud around.
Maybe obvious but I found it just yesterday.

sonouna
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I found this "discovery" useful:
if you scale in object mode their "scale" value will (obviously!) change, while doing the same in edit mode (i.e. select all faces/edges/vertices and then scale) will leave the object scale to "1"
bye :wavey:

NateMcGraw
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
if you select one vertex and press/hold ctrl and + then your selection area will grow till you have selected the entire connected mesh i hope that was explained well enough and make sure you don't have anything you want to undo first this can take up a lot of your undo slots

danielHinton
02-13-2010, 07:21 AM
I can't help myself:

1. wrong forum.

2. you've quoted yourself in your own signature. Not a good way to attract clients.

3. Neither is asking for donations. Most of the people on this board got where they are by insane amounts of hard work, personal sacrifice and talent - not handouts from strangers.

4. Well done for putting a reel together and getting it online, now you really have to work hard to add (much) more content and really polish it up.

5. following on from that, AFAIK a vfx house might want to show more skills than modelling and animation, typically you'll need to add simulations, compositing, camerawork (including tracking), lighting, on-set supervision...

6. Finally, who do you want to work with? what's your ideal client? My guess is that not everyone is going to want to work the same hours as you. For example corporate clients are likely to work 9-5, and anything with a larger budget will often work 14-hour days for weeks and even months at a time. The point is, you're putting off potential clients by limiting the hours you work to your own "unique" times.

Sorry for the essay..

EDIT: just realised you've spammed other cgtalk forums with this exact same post. good luck with the ban..

EN1GM4
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Is there a way to toggle the OB: boxes like in 2.5 but in 2.49?

or any other box, I mean, toggle it to watch and select all the objects...

Here is mine:

1.When you are going to charge a texture or image you can CTRL+click the "load" button and then you will see thumbnails.

2."I" key over any button and you can animate it values, par example, you can animate the lamp energy values.

MortenE
08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Is it an idea to make a new thread, same subject, but solely for 2.5?

iceycooly
09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't know if you guys know this already. When weight painting, you don't have to exit the mode. Just right-click on another object and start painting.

GFXComplex
02-14-2011, 03:16 AM
in 2.5 there is the new "Duplicate in new window" which makes dual monitors useful.

Prometheus91
03-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you can transform vertices to a spherical shape by pressing "ALT"-"SHIFT"-"S". This is very useful if you need to extrude a round shape and don't want to use booleaning. If you got enough vertices, this works just fine.

oktalWind
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Another trick:

Learn to draw (traditional art) and your blender work quality will increase a lot (modeling and texturing).

Chucker
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Another trick:

Learn to draw (traditional art) and your blender work quality will increase a lot (modeling and texturing).

That's the oldest and greatest trick dear fellow Blender user.

PixelOz
07-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Update: I turned this explanation into a free downloadable PDF tutorial that is more complete with some illustrations and some extra precautions that you have to have in order not to loose your marked sharp edges and/or marked seams.

You can see and/or download it here in Deviantart:

http://fav.me/d590ax0

Or here in Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cuc82t8l3b093

Once there in Mediafire you can find it in the Tutorials folder.

I was looking for a way to do this in Blender a long time ago and I couldn't find how to do it then one day I realized a very simple way and it's very, very useful. Read it carefully, it looks long but you can really learn it fast and it can be used very, very fast:

You can reset the pivot point (object Origin) of an object not just to those 3 alternatives of the Object/Transform menu which are:

Geometry To Origin
Origin To Geometry
Geometry To 3D Cursor

To reset the pivot point to any exact location/rotation that you may want arbitrarily make sure that you are in object mode and create a new plane with the Add Object Menu/Add Mesh/Plane then position that plane to the exact location where you want your other object's pivot point (Origin) to be and then rotate that plane in any axis that you want to the desired rotation angles. Remember that the newly created plane can be anywhere and that means anywhere inside or outside the older object. This is a very good way because a new plane's default rotation can be 0 in all 3 axes (x, y and z) and it is an object that is very easy to manipulate and control toward the desired new Origin position and rotation.

When you are happy with your new pivot point (Origin) position/rotation right mouse click your original object then while holding Shift (for multiple object selection) right mouse click the newly created plane and then press Ctrl+J to join the two selected meshes. Notice that the newly created plane has to be selected last always.

Once they are joined press the Tab key to enter Edit Mode then make sure that you are in face select mode (Ctrl+Tab+3), make sure that everything is deselected first then select only the newly created plane and delete it by using the Del key and then selecting Face. Your old object pivot point has now become the newly created plane's pivot point and Bingo!

A few caveats:

The disadvantage of this is that your old object will become the new object and therefore you may have to do a few things like for example rename it to give the new object the old name it had but it is a very, very useful thing no matter what. Materials are not usually a problem cause the newly merged object will retain the multiple materials assigned to the older one.

I'm quite experienced with Blender now (I can model a helluva lot of things) but I'm not a full expert in it yet and you have to be careful that if you have for example animation keys assigned to the old object that you don't loose that or anything like that and I'm not up to date with the current Blender in the animation department and with a few other things! And I don't know if Blender provides an easy way to assign all those properties of the older object to the new one so be careful with this. Save before you try.

But this is something that you will usually use while modeling anyway and then when you are done with that you can proceed to animate and assign keys and that sort of thing. Use it in the modeling stages of your mesh before you start doing anything else with it. Just learn how to use this and when to use it and it has been invaluable to me in many occasions.

If anybody knows a simpler way to do this and with so many changes in the new Blender 2.5x and newer versions it wouldn't surprise me if there was an easier way to do so, if there is, please post it here for everybody. That's all.

PixelOz
08-14-2012, 03:51 AM
English:

Important correction! - The previous file that I uploaded was the wrong one and it had only 1 page. It was supposed to have 5 pages. Now this is the complete version. It also has now a Spanish version here:

http://fav.me/d59979n

Spanish:

¡Correción importante! - El archivo anterior que había cargado era el incorrecto y solo tenía 1 página cuando se supone que tuviera 5 páginas. Esta es la versión completa.

Español - Hay otra versión de este tutorial en Español en mi galería en Deviantart. Puede encontrarla aquí:

http://fav.me/d59979n

MartinRedmond
12-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Wow, I've learned so much reading this.

I love Blender 2.4x, the hidden interface makes it so instinctive. I've used clunky3dsbabelmax for a decade, and that old version of blender I started learning is like a dream come true. All the operations I had to go through lots of little windows and modifiers to achieve are practically all available to me from the keyboard in Blender 2.49b.

My contribution is Shift+Ctrl+C with a face selected offers that face's orientation as a new orientation system. (or view/Transform Orientations/Add while a face is selected but who has the patience for that? lol just hit shift ctrl c) You can shift through them with Alt+Space.

When editing armatures, if I have bones set at 45 angle or w/e odd angle like for the arms, I rotate the armature to 45 while it's in object mode and edit it flat that way, then reset the rotation and it's back how it was.

BlackStormy
04-01-2013, 06:20 AM
There are so many things that haven't been mentioned in here. Addons! The 2.5 series has heaps of addons that aren't enabled in the shipped binary. File>user preferences (or ctrl+shift+U) and go to the addons tab.

The most useful addon I have found is the 'loop tools'. This is under the mesh menu on the left, or you can search for it using the searchbox up top. Enable it and press 'w' to see a new 'loop tools' menu item there. Use 'bridge' to fill the gaps between edge loops. This has a few limitations but it is one of the most time saving features I have found.

Set custom hotkeys by right clicking on any menu item and selecting 'create shortcut'. I use ctrl+b for bridge (default is bevel but just right click that in the 'w' menu and select 'remove shortcut').

Ctrl+U to save user settings - this includes enabled addons and custom hotkeys.

Ctrl+R to cut along a face loop, mousewheel to change the number of edgeloops you want to make.

Shift+E for edge tools menu and use 'edge slide' to move an edgeloop along its perpendicular edges (give it a go).

Alt+D in object mode to make a data linked duplicate of the selected mesh, then when you go into edit mode on either mesh and make changes, they will be updated to every data linked mesh. Great for instancing or modular pieces.

More addons include the 'cogs' and 'pipe joints' addons for extra meshes to help speed up certain modelling projects. They are awfully highpoly and if you work in lowpoly for games like me then you just have to delete a few edgeloops: alt+RMB on an edge to select the edgeloop, x>delete edgeloop to delete the edgeloop and bridge the affected faces.

There's so much more, I assumed everyone knew all these...

Dobermon
04-05-2013, 09:48 PM
If you link a file you can create a proxy by pressing ctrl-alt-p

ohjin
04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Quick vertex welding
1. Turn on auto-merge editing (Mesh menu)
2. turn on Snap - vertex - closest.
3. select and drag vertex
4. while still dragging vertex, press and hold Cntl
5. Drag to desired vertex.

They will automatically be welded. :)

Quick edge extrusion
1. Select vertex or edge.
2. Hold cntl and click left/right mouse button (whichever you have setup for your default), where you want the new vertex/edge to be.

The new vertex/edge will appear in correlation to your viewing angle. Also it will follow the flow and attempt to blend the previous edge angle.

If you Shift and Cntl, it will not blend angles of the previous edge.

I hope that makes sense.

BluePrintRandom
06-10-2013, 03:32 PM
You can make a skeleton, out of Rigid bodies linked with 6dof joints,
then animate with Torque+forces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ7iI9GhbcA

I will get a tutorial on doing this up eventually :D

:applause:

Beticas
09-15-2013, 05:24 AM
:bounce:

In the combositor:

-If you have you backdrop image you can move that using ALT+ Mid Mouse Button. (you need a viewer node ofc)

- you can connect the viewer node with any other node by using the shortcut SHIFT+CTR+Click on the node you want to connect with the viewer. :cool:

RiViT
10-08-2013, 10:09 AM
if you select one vertex and press/hold ctrl and + then your selection area will grow till you have selected the entire connected mesh i hope that was explained well enough and make sure you don't have anything you want to undo first this can take up a lot of your undo slots

Just a bit of clarification...

It's the '+' key on the keypad that expands selection.

The '+' on the number row of the keyboard (coupled with Ctrl) zooms in; '-' zooms out.