PDA

View Full Version : Shake compared to After Effects

LukaStellwag
08-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Hello,
I have recently bought a MacBook Pro.

Since I'm on mac now I thought shake is a great deal. How is it compared to After Effects, which seems to be more distributed? I have basic skills in After Effects so far, never done anything in Shake before.

Bye,
Luka

RiKToR
08-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Well I will say that shake is a different beast... its main difference is the node base compositing which changes the way you look at how to composite since after effects is layer based. For the me the interface makes more sense the AE, I guess the real test would be to look for the demo of Shake. Know this though node based compositing seems to be the way of the future with apps like Toxik, Nuke, and Digital Fusion leading the way. Though shake is officially a dead program with no support and no expected release for a long time for its next generation film compositing tool its still a great program... there are reasons why vfx houses use shake alot... some use it exclusively... and after effects though good at what it does and getting better with CS3, just can't answer the call of a film pipeline.

WmH
08-04-2007, 07:17 AM
RiKToR sums it up pretty well. I would add that AE seems confining to me now (I started years ago with AE and Commotion) AE is good (quick and easy) particularly with canned (effects) plugins, but the layer structure can become unwieldy when things get complex and it can be difficult to figure out where the logic of your manipulation is falling down (when it inevitably does) Shake, on the other hand, has few complete effects plugins but rather relies (even encourages) the lacing together of many operation nodes to achieve what you want in any way. It is not restricted to a single image hierarchy, which AE (mostly) is. In Shake it is (very) easy to see exactly what is happening in any part of your schema at any time, so I don't hesitate to attempt things in different (even very complex) ways when the shot calls for it.
Shake is a top shelf compositor, very open ended limited only by my understanding of how to achieve what I need to do. AE is a great titler and has a huge number of preprogrammed plugins that allow users familiar with Photoshop layers (and plugin strategies) to quickly and simply create comp/effects/motion graphics clips.

Shake is one of the only high end compositors that covers the entire spectrum. It is equally suitable for both large high-end digital effects companies with custom pipelines and Indie filmmakers and independent (ie one man) effects contractors. That you can now get it for $500 makes it nearly irresistible.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2007, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.