PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Deformers???

RavenEye
08-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello All,

Currently using a wrap deformer on a few characters and a problem keeps occuring with them. The problem are vertices spiking out of the wrap mesh. Both meshes are identicle in build so I'm wondering why is it occuring and the best way to fix it. I hope someone can assist with this.

BoostAbuse
08-04-2007, 01:27 AM
You'll need to adjust the tolerance of the wrap deformer to best represent the density of your mesh. The smaller the value the tolerance is, the more precise your wire deformer will be but the more your performance will suffer.

-s

scroll-lock
08-06-2007, 07:46 AM
yes... Shawn already said it... you should check your settings on the wrap deformer - lower is better, but slower :)

BoostAbuse
08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
global proc sm_wrapSetDistance ()
{
string $selected[] = `ls -sl`;
for ($select in $selected)
{

string $shape[] = `listRelatives -c $select`;

string $wraps[] = `listConnections -type wrap $shape[0]`;
for ($wrap in $wraps)
{

setAttr ($wrap + ".maxDistance") .1;
}
}
print "All selected wraps set to .1\n";
}

Just a quick snippet of code, feel free to adjust the values for the maxDistance attribute in the script to what you require. I use 0.1 for most of my stuff so give that a shot.

-s

RavenEye
08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I normally keep the wrap deformer on its default tolerances. Nothing seems to happen when I lower the Max Distance to .1. I still have that spike happening regardless of what I do with the controls. I'm posting a picture of the spikage up, so you can see what I'm talking about. These vertices only shoot out at a specific point and once past that point they go back to normal. Those numbers from start to end -.57 thru -.607 on the eyelid controls. Before and after those numbers the wrap works fine. I want to start thinking that it is the model itself or the way that it was modeled. I really appriciate your assistance.

BoostAbuse
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Just a quick thought but go into your Edit Membership tool and check to see if that vertex is fully attached to everything. Strays like that can sometimes be a bad vertex that slips outside the given influence. If your distance attribute isn't helping I'd say maybe check that, or also look into what measurement units you are using in your settings as Maya does have a limit of how far an object can travel before it begins to choke on the matrices. That doesn't happen until many thousands of units though.

-s

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.