PDA

View Full Version : MOCAP available to the masses.

Flog
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
A Complete Tracking Solution

OptiTrack cameras work with a range of software toolkits, all the way from Point Cloud tracking (http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/products/point-cloud.html), Rigid Body tracking (http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/products/rigid-body.html), up to Full Body Motion Capture (http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/products/full-body-mocap.html). In addition, stop the fastest motion with high-speed grayscale video at 120 FPS. OptiTrack provides the tools to create your ideal solution.

Yes they finally are releasing it this month. Naturpoint is releasing an entire mocap system with software for $5,000.

This will open the way for many to be able to get into motion capture. I'm just waiting to get mine! :)

twidup
08-02-2007, 05:38 PM
100 fps (according to thier site) is not actually fast enough to capture some motions.

On the hockey and tennis shots I have done, even at 120 fps, we were loosing the stick and racquet motion at the apex of the swings because of speed.

as for how good the system is, I will believe it when I see.

I have used a system very similiar to this in the past, and I have to say, the system was good, but required about 30+ cameras to be real effective, as all of the performance of the system was in the software.

The highest resolution you can get with these camera from NaturalPoint is 640x480. and only a 20 ft range for a 1" marker...more than that and you have to go to active LED markers. not too impressed, though for indy operations and small studios, it may not be too bad. a 20 camera system and software will be about 12k USD, add in about another 5k for mounts and rigs, under 20k for a usable system is not too bad.

for 5k, it sounds like all you get is their software and then maybe 4 to 6 cameras. you still need motion buidler to retarget with, and with only 6 cameras, you are not going to get anything usable other than locomotions and some simple acting. no fighting for sure

-todd

Dennik
08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
100 fps (according to thier site) is not actually fast enough to capture some motions.

On the hockey and tennis shots I have done, even at 120 fps, we were loosing the stick and racquet motion at the apex of the swings because of speed.

-todd

I'm sure you can find a starving animator that can do a decent inbetweening for the fast motions that can't be recorded accurately. I'm also sure he can prove to be more efficient than any expensive mocap system with an operator that expects to press 2 buttons and be done with it.

twidup
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
not going to get into that side of things Dennik, just stating what this company is promising, and what most people expect from mocap are totally different things.

People see mocap studio for 5k and they expect to be able to capture golum like performances, and that is not going to happen.

SheepFactory
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
People see mocap studio for 5k and they expect to be able to capture golum like performances, and that is not going to happen.

Oh man let em find that out themselves after spending 5k on it. :D

markdc
08-02-2007, 08:11 PM

I have used a system very similiar to this in the past, and I have to say, the system was good, but required about 30+ cameras to be real effective, as all of the performance of the system was in the software.

The highest resolution you can get with these camera from NaturalPoint is 640x480. and only a 20 ft range for a 1" marker...more than that and you have to go to active LED markers. not too impressed, though for indy operations and small studios, it may not be too bad. a 20 camera system and software will be about 12k USD, add in about another 5k for mounts and rigs, under 20k for a usable system is not too bad.

for 5k, it sounds like all you get is their software and then maybe 4 to 6 cameras. you still need motion buidler to retarget with, and with only 6 cameras, you are not going to get anything usable other than locomotions and some simple acting. no fighting for sure

-todd

On their site they have sample data of tennis and boxing mocap and they both look fine. Download the bvh files and try it yourself. I didn't use this system but I mocaped a fighting scene using a system that was running at 60fps (6 cameras) so I disagree that 100 fps is not fast enough. Of course I had to tweak an filter the data but you have to do that with every mocap system.

Flog
08-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I've seen the system in action and it's pretty good, even with the raw data.

It's not a 200,000 system but it gets the job done. Plus when it comes to technology does it really matter how much it costs to be good?

Maya vs Softimage vs Lightwave vs XSI vs Blender(free) vs Animation Master vs C4D.

At the end of the day, no matter at what price point you bought it at they are all pretty much capable of creating simliar or the same results. Power is in the artist itself.

A $5,000 dvd player is more than likely no better aside from a few extra functions than a 50 dollar one. They both play DVD and I can watch my movie.

I think this system can do good for the indie guys. May not capture the best motion but I bet you it gets the job done. Plus it puts pressure on everyone else to lower their price.

Dang Markus I didn't know you were at COMICON. I would have loved to have met you!

SheepFactory
08-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Maya vs Softimage vs Lightwave vs XSI vs Blender(free) vs Animation Master vs C4D.

At the end of the day, no matter at what price point you bought it at they are all pretty much capable of creating simliar or the same results. Power is in the artist itself.

A $5,000 dvd player is more than likely no better aside from a few extra functions than a 50 dollar one. They both play DVD and I can watch my movie.

http://theshortguys.com/laugh.gif

cresshead
08-04-2007, 02:38 PM
so what's the dude with the green bg all about then?

markdc
08-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I got a chance to see a live demo of the system today at Siggraph. It looks like it works well to me. If you're at Siggraph go and check out their booth.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2007, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.