PDA

View Full Version : Animation Acting Challenge #10: Progress Thread: August 2 - August 28

SirRon
08-02-2007, 10:15 AM
The winners of the Animation Acting Challenge #9 are...

Audio:
Ramtin (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4550567&postcount=15)

Non-Audio:
bubai (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4545418&postcount=4)

Animation Acting Challenge #10

There are two topics to choose from

1. Drinking Poison

Or

2. Audio Clip from Wedding Crashers
Link (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Wedding_Crashers&quote=withmyma.txt&file=withmyma.wav)

John: "Is this your place?"
Chazz: "No. No no no no no. No, I live with my Ma."
John: "Oh."
Chazz: "Yeah. You hungry? Hey, Ma! Can we get some meatloaf?!"

Rules
Read me!
- Have fun animating!
- Use any rig and any animation software you like.
- Animate with any medium (3D, 2D, or stop-motion)
- You're open (and encouraged) to post your progress here if you'd like any comments and critiques.
- No time/frame restriction on the animation. Just remember that the more complex it is the longer it will take to finish. Make it by the due date!
- You can do both topics if you have the time. Either separately or as one animation if possible.
- You may add time before and after the audio clip, but please do not change the timing of the audio.
- A separate final submission thread will be created. Post your final animation there. I'll make the thread a few days before the deadline.
- Textures and lighting are optional. Playblasts are acceptable. Just make the acting clear and easy to see.
- Use any resolution and aspect ratio... but keep the file size manageable. As for codecs, preferably one that's common like quicktime or windows media. My recommendation would be Quicktime.
- When posting for final entry please state which topic you are animating.
- Adding music is optional, just don't make it distracting.

We'll do this for about a month (August 2nd - August 28th). Then we'll vote (August 29th - August 31). We'll vote for the best animations AND suggest topics for the next challenge in that time.

Feel free to ask questions about the challenge. We're still looking to improve how the challenge is conducted, we're open to suggestions.

Tips:
-Don't know where to upload your final animation or WIP? I recommend using www.vimeo.com. Free to register. You get to watch a streaming flash video and if you're registered, users can also download the original video source.
-The audio can also be set to mono instead of stereo, that may help keep the file size down.

anmKevin
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm in! Maybe I'll try the audio one this time.

JamesLane
08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm gonna give this a shot....I am headed on a "no computer" vacation at the end of the month so I'll try to have it done before that. I think I'll attempt drinking the poison.

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Coolness. I really wanted to participate in the last challenge but I found out about it too late. I think I might do this one, the poison and do the stepping in something gross on my own later. I have that one storyboarded out and what I want to do with it will make it a bit complicated.

The poison one sounds pretty easy enough.

Can we do both topics if we so choose?

SirRon
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Can we do both topics if we so choose?

Yep.

- You can do both topics if you have the time. Either separately or as one animation if possible.

Remember, sometimes simple is the way to go ;)

zerotwoadd
08-04-2007, 11:18 PM
This is just some rough animation. Is this a good way to start or is there a better way? I'm new at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7TqLL5gys

anmKevin
08-05-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm trying to offset the audio at the beginning, but right as the audio starts you can hear that pop like a mic was turned on. Is there a way to get rid of that?

SirRon
08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm trying to offset the audio at the beginning, but right as the audio starts you can hear that pop like a mic was turned on. Is there a way to get rid of that?

Hmm... I don't notice the audio pop you mention. Have you tried using http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to adjust it, maybe set the volume lower on the section in question?

Apologies on not having the winners announced and a front page plug yet. [insert work and life related excuses] ;)

anmKevin
08-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I think its a software issue because there are 2 pops. one at the beginning of the timeline and one right as the audio starts. Maybe a bug in maya 8.5? what are you using?

SirRon
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
An overdue congratulations. Clap your hands together for these animators :applause:

Audio:
Ramtin (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4550567&postcount=15)

Non-Audio:
bubai (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4545418&postcount=4)

Very nice work you two! Great look on your animation Ramtin, demo reel type stuff. And bubai, you were able to do BOTH categories, that's admirable :thumbsup:

I think its a software issue because there are 2 pops. one at the beginning of the timeline and one right as the audio starts. Maybe a bug in maya 8.5? what are you using?
I use Maya 7 and I don't hear the pops if I only play within the audio (24fps, frames 1-217). But I do hear pops in the beginning if the animation starts before the audio, I'm guessing you want to animate something before the audio starts?

You may have to live with the pops as you animate to the audio in Maya. Hopefully the pops don't come back if you add the audio after you render your frames. Bring the audio in during post-production using another program like Adobe Premiere or After Effects and listen if they come back.

anmKevin
08-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Oh ok. Thanks!

And congragulations guys!

animking
08-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks everybody who have voted me and all of you for joining this contest.:thumbsup:

animking
08-06-2007, 04:09 AM
congrats ramtin:thumbsup: for your great stuff, I like it more and definitly for your great rig. I wish I will use it lots of more time, it is really good.:love:

MarlonPerez
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey guys I think I want in on this one. But anyone know where I can get some basic rigged characters? I don't think I would have to time to model...

Thanks in advance.

-Marlon

blurgh
08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,

Im back in the game :p

havnt been round for a while been busy fnishign at college and stuff.

Will definatly be giving this one a go i think :)

-Darken

Ramteen
08-06-2007, 06:53 PM
congrats ramtin:thumbsup: for your great stuff, I like it more and definitly for your great rig. I wish I will use it lots of more time, it is really good.:love:

Hey guys
I really appreaciate what you`v said about me, and whoever have voted me in this :D it feels wonderful. I`v got so motivated by reading the posts just now. what I can say is to wait for the fourth one. I mean Moom V4.0 :D great great great .... :D:D

you, keep on the good work Bubai :) and thank you Siron for calling the animation as a Demoreel stuff. encouraging me so much :)

c ya around evey bodyD

anmKevin
08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey guys I think I want in on this one. But anyone know where I can get some basic rigged characters? I don't think I would have to time to model...

Thanks in advance.

-Marlon

Highend3d.com

WesleyChandler
08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum, and I've been looking at the past challenges and topics. I'm right now learning 3D animation at the Art Institute of Vancouver. The challenges seems like a fun thing to try, but I'm not sure how much animation experience do we need to participate?

actionbrad3d
08-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Hello Wesley!

As far as I know- the challenges are set up specificly so we can hone our animation skills by being critiqued and critiquing eachothers work.

I would say (please correct me if i am wqrong cg talk) that you dont need any experience to participate - just any experience you have will be benificial.

So, as long as you have the time, just jump on in and give it a go. every bit of animating you do makes you a better animator. (more or less.)

:)

good luck dude.
Brad

animking
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
ramtin, i am waiting for Moom V4.0:wip:

blurgh
08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
yes unlike most things in our industry no expeirence is required ^^

SirRon
08-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum, and I've been looking at the past challenges and topics. I'm right now learning 3D animation at the Art Institute of Vancouver. The challenges seems like a fun thing to try, but I'm not sure how much animation experience do we need to participate?

Yes, we have a STRICT REQUIREMENT that I uphold during these challenges. You won't be eligible to participate if you do not have a monitor, computer, and internet access. If you have none of these then I'll have to deny any of your submissions ;)

Short answer, no animation experience required. I'd be glad to have your participation :)

actionbrad3d
08-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Ok- I'm having a go at drinking Poison. WIP can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTw0CoraFaY just basicly blocked in at this stage. its a fun topic tho!

brad

Frotze
08-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Haha, funny acting Brad. :) I see nothing to critic at this stage. Did you make that character?

actionbrad3d
08-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks mate :) ja i made him. dont know why or who he is. i call him vincent. ;) more to come.

gregoo23
08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
hey Guys.
I'm in for this one and i started with the "drinking poison" option.
here is my blocking so far:
http://gregory.naud.free.fr/videos/poison_tk02.mov

I don't like the last pose so i'll definitely adjust it. It would be nice to have some feed back for the rest of the animation. Thanks ;)

big thank to Ramtin for his really cool Moom !! great character to play with!

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-10-2007, 01:48 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_HPmh5clVnU

Here is my blocking shot. Very, very rough though it did open up some ideas as for what I want to do with the animation. It'll probably end up longer. I just hope I'll be off of overtime soon in order to do more work on it.

animking
08-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Hey gregoo23, i think your animation is superb:scream: , keep it up, may be i will post something on this month contest.:wise:

And
Guy In Rubber Suit,actionbrad3d, i have nothing to say at this stage but i think it will going a tough contest though the topic is simple.:thumbsup:

Hey every body, is anybody working on the audio clip?:deal:

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Hey gregoo23, i think your animation is superb:scream: , keep it up, may be i will post something on this month contest.:wise:

And
Guy In Rubber Suit,actionbrad3d, i have nothing to say at this stage but i think it will going a tough contest though the topic is simple.:thumbsup:

Hey every body, is anybody working on the audio clip?:deal:

Thanks. Yeah it will be tough. We sometimes take the simplest of ideas and make them overly complicated.

I really liked your WIP actionbrad. I can't wait to see the finished product there.

gregoo23
08-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks bubai and congratulations for the last contest ;)

gregoo23
08-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey,

A little update on the blocking. I'm now working on the breakdowns and timing. Let me know what you think:
http://gregory.naud.free.fr/videos/poison_tk03.mov

Greg

Frotze
08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi greg!

Very nice blocking you got there already, I love the flow. One thing I noticed is that there's not that much of a difference in his pose between when he's thinking(tapping his chin) and when he actually makes his decision (reaches the bottle). One thing you could do is make him tap his chin with his head slightly turned toward us, and then it would slowly lean to the right while he's making his decision and wants to be sure that nobody is watching.

Hope it was clear enough. :) Good luck!

anmKevin
08-10-2007, 10:30 PM
These are all looking pretty good so far. Greg, I like yours, but I don't like the composition that much. I think a lower angle would look better, maybe closer to the guy. Just my opinion. All the blocking looks good though.

Looks like most people are doing the poison one...I'll put up my wip for the audio tonight.

mttjss
08-11-2007, 02:16 AM
These are all looking pretty good so far. Greg, I like yours, but I don't like the composition that much. I think a lower angle would look better, maybe closer to the guy. Just my opinion. All the blocking looks good though.

I agree - the camera angle loses a little of the interest to it. Cameras are just as important to the piece as the animation.

Matt -

gregoo23
08-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey

i made a change on the camera so let me know if you think it works better..
Frotze i see what you mean but not really exactly on the movement..but i'll try to make more contrast between the two poses..
Here's the update:
http://gregory.naud.free.fr/videos/poison_tk04.mov (http://gregory.naud.free.fr/videos/poisontk4.mov)

SirRon
08-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok- I'm having a go at drinking Poison. WIP can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTw0CoraFaY just basicly blocked in at this stage. its a fun topic tho!

brad

LOL, I must say that's a great start.

Keep up the good work everyone. I'm going to miss out on this one too. Wow, what a full-time job can do to me huh? :D

blurgh
08-12-2007, 12:59 AM
lol, I havnt had time to start yet :p what job you got Ron?

-Darken

Siahpoosh
08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
hey ramtin congratulations . i see your animation and its amazing... very funny.
good luck man.

Juzz
08-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Hehee, I already have an animation done for this contest :D

Ok, I am not a good animator, and I can not take part, because this is done over a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QJcGerAf4

nima-raufi
08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi.
Im in.Last challenge was my first challenge.I hope to get better.:thumbsup:

enian82
08-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I really congrads the winners
its an awesome piece
good going and best of luck for the new one tooo
is there a way i could ask u the link of the rig were i can download it
thanks
enian

actionbrad3d
08-13-2007, 02:06 AM
Hey

i made a change on the camera so let me know if you think it works better..
Frotze i see what you mean but not really exactly on the movement..but i'll try to make more contrast between the two poses..
Here's the update:
http://gregory.naud.free.fr/videos/poison_tk04.mov

lol. brilliant! :) yep that camera angle definitely gets more value from the thing. Much clearer sillouettes and nice and close to yor well nuanced actions.

its gonna be good man.

most recent drinking poison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFnsPwgg1I
still a ways to go with weight and followthrough, but most of the performance and timing is there.

and by the way- i forgot to say earlier- bubai and ramtin. excellent work.:) you guys compleatly inspired me to enter this competition. I'll be keen to see whatever you come up with next.
;)

actionbrad3d
08-13-2007, 03:39 AM
I have also found this video on youtuvbe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9YTxff3pHU its a hilarious look at body language, which is not only funny but also a bit useful for animators. :)

SirRon
08-13-2007, 05:56 AM
lol, I havnt had time to start yet :p what job you got Ron?

-Darken

I got a job doing artwork for cellphone and a up coming downloadable game. Don't know what I'm allowed to say. It's a small company so I'm doing a lot of artwork outside of animating. Doing a lot of pixel pushing. The best day was when I had to make an animation because none of the mocap work had exactly what the company wanted. So I was just animating... I had to do some rigging work too but nothing too complicated. Yeah, I'm SO glad I have a good basic grasp of everything so I can be a decent generalist. Of course animation being my strong skill ;)

animking
08-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi everybody, I'm confused right now, because i have got a job offer as a "TRAINEE ANIMATOR" in India (not in my home town). Trainee period is 1 year but they wanted to sign a agreement for a period of 4 years with a huge liability clause. But the company is welknown in India.

I think all of you are my friend, so please give me a suggession what i will do, the time is so closer, please!:eek:

I shall try to submit an entry for this month contest definitly.:scream:

actionbrad3d
08-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi everybody, I'm confused right now, because i have got a job offer as a "TRAINEE ANIMATOR" in India (not in my home town). Trainee period is 1 year but they wanted to sign a agreement for a period of 4 years with a huge liability clause. But the company is welknown in India.

I think all of you are my friend, so please give me a suggession what i will do, the time is so closer, please!:eek:

I shall try to submit an entry for this month contest definitly.:scream:

hmmm... are you saying they will have you on a trainee pay rate for 4 years? if so, that is not so good.

I just changed kjobs mayself, and the main thing i thought of was how this will further develop my animation skills.

if this job will be a nice lace to work and will develop you, then go for it. :)

sorry i cant be more help.

good luck.

d_jnaneswar
08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
dude!

I know which company you are talking about. DQ in hyd?

well, a couple of my friends are working there, just joined, for the same agreement you said. Its not a formal agreement and not recognized by the government. They just put it up for reasons I dont know. Anyways, many friends of mine came out of the company before the 4 years period.

Its not a great company to work for, but i hear that its not too bad. pay is awfully small but for freshers, its one of the few companies that are giving the opportunity. Although you wont get "trained" that much.

one of my friend joined as a "trainee animator" a couple of years ago, with a salary of 4k rs. Now he is drawing 20 K. Which is not bad at all, in the same company. he is planning to come out of it too, once R n H opens up in Hyderabad.

There are two options for you, IMO. I dont know how good you are. If you are really good, just apply to Prana and R n H and see how it goes. If you cant get into those, then you can take up the DQ job.

Anyways, cgtantra.com forums are a better place to ask this question. there are a lot of guys who work/worked there in DQ before.

Good luck to you anyways!
CHeers!
DJ

animking
08-13-2007, 08:23 AM
thanks d_jnaneswar,actionbrad3d for your comment.

d_jnaneswar, it's right i'm taking about DQ, would you like to tell me where you are working now?

again thanks for your advice.:)

JulianKok
08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
I am in too! Gotta do a 2D character animation! :)

blurgh
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey guys

Ron- That sounds pretty sweet, I just landed my self my first job after graduating as a matchmover but hopefully can move up the rungs!

bubai - what does the liability clause entail?

cheers
-Darken

Solbester
08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey just one question when i'm done where do i submit my animation?

living_for_cg
08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Congratulations Ramtin and Bubai :thumbsup: .
I will try my hard to participate for the next one.
Wish the best for all .

Solbester
08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd like to join. Sounds like fun..

ErikSvensson
08-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Darn, sounds like a lot of fun! I'd give it a try probably. Haven't done so much acting stuff, so it'll be challengeing. Starting after work tomorrow. :) Gives some time to think out something cool to animate, either to poison or the sound clip. :thumbsup:

Erik

actionbrad3d
08-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Hey just one question when i'm done where do i submit my animation?

there will be a new submission thread started in the animation challenge section. just stay tuned. :)

latest WIP- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBjDBZDJpk

keep on truckin dudes. ;)

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-14-2007, 06:10 AM
I need some help on blocking. I'm really not sure on the best way to go about it. Do I just lay out the frames that I'm going to animate and do the extreme poses at each major keyframe? On my little short the timing is way off in regards to blocking and it's definitely putting a major cramp on the project. Blocking would be something that I could add in the rest of the frames at a later date and not get screwed over with wonky inbetweens, correct? Right now I'm getting some messed up inbetweens and I'm strongly deciding to start over just doing straight through animation.

Here is my blocking animation for those interested in lending a helping hand: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_HPmh5clVnU

Finally have some free time, just a bit discouraging that I have to go through this garbage made by my own hands. Oh well it's a learning experience!

actionbrad3d
08-14-2007, 06:59 AM
hey man- i put a comment on your vid on youtube as well about the timing. The wy i have been taught ( and i add that i am just starting out myself) is to add two key frames for every main controller at each pose ( at the start and end, like gates) then, you can easily shuffle those all around until you get the timing right. What some people also do is use stepped keys instead of linear one s in this stage, so they can clearly see the poses that are being hit, without confusing default tweening from the computer.

Have a look on http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials.htm . He illustrates really well many techniques and principles for making good animation.

also, as more of a long term investment- i reccomend2 books- The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams and Acting for Animators by ed hooks. (available on amazon or something i think. )

hope that helps in some way.

cheers
Brad

actionbrad3d
08-14-2007, 07:27 AM
oops. posted twice

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Cool thanks. Yeah I have the Animator's Survival Kit though I've been picking and choosing what to learn from there, such as focusing on the walk cycles. That's ok but I'm sure it won't help me in the long run.

I'll definitely check out that link tomorrow after work. Thanks again!

actionbrad3d
08-14-2007, 12:08 PM
hi all.

here is my latest WIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMIf0nw9HWs

still some issues with the arms- they are fk and dont sit so well on the bench. any suggestions that dont involve a new rig would be appreiated.

apart from that i think i'm almost done. . any comments would be great.

cheers all.

shahriyar
08-14-2007, 12:51 PM
hey man ,i belive u,good luck :thumbsup: :applause:

damncreative
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
hey brad. like ya animation. ve some small comments to make. the character walks from the right corner to the center of the scene in the 1st part. later after he drinks and chokes he goes back in the same path. wat i feel is give some variation. use the space .make him fall in a nice randon curve. it makes it more interesting. and he should not be able to control his own body. after drinking he s kinda realising its poison right. the head direction is at one place. may b u should make it more natural.and add some small weight shifts to add the flavour.

Thats wat i feel. but its comin along very nice . keep up the good work dude:).

cheers

actionbrad3d
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
cool thanks man. i see what you mean about movintg the character round abit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVq1hW_dhJI

altered the blocking at the start to give more variation on the movement. not sure about it yet. think i'll sleep on it.
cheers

animking
08-16-2007, 03:36 AM
I really congrads the winners
its an awesome piece
good going and best of luck for the new one tooo
is there a way i could ask u the link of the rig were i can download it
thanks
enian

Hi enian, the rig was made by the winner ramtin, he is just excellent as well as his rig. I am giving you the link,two version of thi rig, download it. :eek:

http://www.amritd.com/Transfer/Ramtin_moom/MooM_v3_by_Ramtin.zip (http://www.amritd.com/Transfer/Ramtin_moom/MooM_v3_by_Ramtin.zip)

http://www.animationlounge.com/share/MooM_By_RamtinA.zip (http://www.animationlounge.com/share/MooM_By_RamtinA.zip)

damncreative
08-16-2007, 05:51 AM
hey brad i kinda like the variations except the 1st part. i dont think so its necessary to move the character so much at the start . pose A is wher he s standin at the corner and pose b is where he s gonna come to the middle of the screen. just keep the transition simple . dont complicate . its too much of unnecessary movement. dont u think so. wat i meant last time was , after he chokes he can take a random steps, off balance him.

hope it helps. but its comin along very well. ther r some nice stuttle stuff in ya block. keep up the good work. keep rocking:)

actionbrad3d
08-16-2007, 05:57 AM
thanks man :) i see just what you mean now. I have abandonded the idea of moving him around at the start as that seemed to me working nice as it is. working on a few off balancinf steps now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6VYegY-PBk

added a stumble and unbalance.
he's still a bit too sure on his feet during the stumble, still working on it.

animking
08-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey all,

I have a little problem, very little. I have made a website on blogspot, can you tell me how can I see the video directly from youtube or vimeo without going there?:scream:

Please!:bounce:

I'm waiting:curious:

actionbrad3d
08-16-2007, 08:21 AM
sure- i think you just copy the embed text from the you tube page. .. as far as i know. :)

actionbrad3d
08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
sure- i think you just copy the embed text from the you tube page. .. as far as i know. :)

damncreative
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
yup just copy the embed url as brad said and paste it in ya post. it ill work. ne body seen surfs up. awesome animation. beautifull.

damncreative
08-16-2007, 11:23 AM
gettin better brad. keep workin on it.:)

stanmation
08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi, I'm also new here, and would like to participate in this challenge. Hopefully i can finish it on time. Need to learn from you guys .

Thanks
Stanley

animking
08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
thanks guys :)

Frotze
08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Coming nicely brad! I find a bit odd that when he tries to support himself on the right, after he's unbalanced, he raises his arm so high on the cupboard. It doesn't look very natural. you could just have him put his elbow on the counter I think. And that way he wouldn't have that much of a distance to cover when he brings his hand to his mouth a second after.

FNC
08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey Guys, I'm new here. I hope is not too late for join in this challenge.

this is my wip with audio.
C&C are welcooooooooooooom!

.mov about 2.5MB
http://www.francescocarovillano.com/anim/HeyMa_Anim_wip_01.mov

Thanks a lot!

FNC
08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
update on a new url

http://www.francescocarovillano.com/anim/heyma_anim.mov

I think I'll need to speed up when he shout.

hope you enjoy it.
Thanks everybody!

gdogfunk
08-18-2007, 05:00 AM
3D greetings....this is my first entry to any CGtalk contest...here's my WIP (three 2-hour evenings thus far) of option #2 of contest #10:

http://orangepeelproductions.com/maya/generi_rig_weddingcrashers.mov

This blue-man rig rules...I wish I could have every character thrown at me with this rig!!!

Body movements next after some tweaks to the lipsync...

Ryan

damncreative
08-18-2007, 09:00 AM
hey FNC like ya animation. nice posing. only thing i would suggest is a better composition. may b turn the camera and add some objects which favour the scene. keep up the good work.:)

FNC
08-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks damncreative, I will do for sure! :)

KyleG
08-18-2007, 07:36 PM
gdogfunk,

You really want to block out the action first and leave the lip sync for last, you'll find it very hard if start with the lip sync first

gdogfunk
08-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Really? I think it's the other way around for me. I like to start with a face that's alive...then I can base his actions around his personality. The rig is easy enough to use that I can change things quickly if needed.

I have 3 other lipsyncs I did back in Nov/Dec last year here:

http://orangepeelproductions.com/maya/

Maybe I should be doing it the other way, but I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants and just diving in. :)

Thanks for the tip, too!

Ryan

KyleG
08-19-2007, 12:05 AM
gdogfunk,

If you want your animations to improve, I would highly recommend changing your work flow. Before computer animation, when everything was done traditionally, you had to start with your key poses and work up from there, it was literally impossible to start with the lip sync first. All the major companies (PIXAR, Blue Sky, ILM) work in this same manor, even in the computer, starting with layout and thumbnailing, then blocking, in betweens, clean up, and so on. I would recommend looking at this tutorial by Keith Lango, it will really help alot

http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/popThru.html

=kyle

Animatle
08-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I thought i woud join this challange, will be my first entry in a challange here.

Only done animation for about a year... but here it goes... my WIP

http://www.dump.no/files/bf9e0c78c011/drinkingpoison.mov

stanmation
08-20-2007, 04:50 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/279319

This is my 1st WIP, no facial yet, only body keypose. I'm planning to put his Ma at the background, walking then shocked. Feel free to comment. Thanx.

WesleyChandler
08-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Hey Guys,

I've been keeping up to date with the thread here. Haven't had any chance to do any animation besides planning on the drinking poison.

But besides that, I was wondering what you guys use to view .mov web-linked files??? I'm using Internet Explorer amd anytime I click on a link on this thread that ended with .mov, it'll open up a new window and have a small little icon on the bottom left saying "done". But It will never show anything! :sad:

Frotze
08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi Wesley,

Did you try to Right-click > Save As, instead of opening the .mov directly in Internet Explorer? If the movie still doesn't play, then the matter probably comes from Quicktime itself, so you may want to check out for the newest updates on Apple's website. If the problem is still there, though, then it's beyond my limited knowledge. :)

gdogfunk,

KyleG is right. Although nothing is wrong about working the way you do, finishing with the lip-sync is a pretty common and efficient workflow. And even if you may be right about how it's easier to animate the body once the facial is done, you should keep in mind that it's also true the other way around. A good acting should be enough to sell an emotion on its own, without the need of any facial expression whatsoever. And the best way to assure that your body language is driving the emotions as much as the face is, in my opinion, to start with the body. If you can understand what your character is thinking just by looking at how he moves, not only will your job will be much more easier when time comes to animate the face, but your animation in general will be much more readable and enjoyable to watch in the end.

gdogfunk
08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, I've read through some of Keith Lango's tuts from the links provided and I do agree about some of his workflow, but in the case of this audio clip, 2 guys standing in a room doesn't warrant a whole lot of bouncing all over the place with which to block in motion (in my mind). I do like the pose-thru method Keith suggested though, but will have to try that on another clip.

I can see where an action scene would require blocking shots, etc, but I'm still not convinced that lip-sync should come last. Just my opinion :)

Here's my latest:

http://orangepeelproductions.com/maya/generi_rig_weddingcrashers2.mov

Lot's to tweak yet, but it's coming along...

Ryan

WesleyChandler
08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Frotze,

Thanks for the tip! seems to work fine when I now rightclick and download them =)

SirRon
08-21-2007, 01:29 AM
My gosh! It's almost deadline already! 8 more days...

I'll put up the final animation thread when I come back home from work. Really like everyone's effort here. Keep on animating :)

elgrizzly
08-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi all,

this thread is like a dream come true! Thank you guys!!!

This is my first submission... Took me about 2 hours in maya.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cRTY9uPEw1o

Please comment!!! Thank you

By the way congratulations to the previous winners! Amazing animations in this thread!! :)
See you!

anmKevin
08-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Northhill, it's looking pretty good so far, but you HAVE TO change that composition. Are we watching from a helicopter? what's with all the negative space? I do like the animation though, its funny. It looks like he could be pretty off balance at some parts, leaning forward etc but its hard to tell overhead. Also going into the final resting position could be a lot faster.

Gdogfunk...man...what is going on in your scene? why are they wildly looking around? and at points their cog's come too high and it pulls the ik legs off the ground...can you notice that?

elgrizzly
08-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Here's a little update of my anim... Hope it'll be finished by the 28th... =S
Comments welcome (encouraged!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TSbGWkNTsM

Thank you everybody

ceyhannn
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi all;;

hope that i am not so late;
This is my post for lipsyc. animation.

http://www.vimeo.com/282302 (http://www.vimeo.com/282302)

I just posed my character.
no facial animation yet.

All comments and critiques are greatefully appreciated,,

ceyhannn
08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi all;;

no facial animation yet.

ceyhannn
08-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi all;;

no facial animation yet.

Animatle
08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Thx for the feedback anmkevin... ill go over the wheight-balance on him...
ill try to find a better camera angle too, knew that one wouldnt do :p

animking
08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi all;;

no facial animation yet.

Hi ceyhan,

the clip is protected, how can we see it?

ceyhannn
08-22-2007, 01:53 PM
sory i had protected it by mistake::))
now you may retry;;

http://www.vimeo.com/282302

shiro
08-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey guys !

I'm gonna animate for my first time on Maya :D but I had little problem.
I just found how to import an audio in Maya but i can't hear a sound when I move the time line... Can some one tell me how I can do ? :D

Thx for helping :)

And keep going guys

gregoo23
08-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey Shiro,

You can try to set "real-time playback" option in Preferences>Settings>timeline in playback speed dialog.
Hope it helps ;)

shiro
08-22-2007, 09:15 PM
It seems that it already set on Real-Time (24fps)

I don't even have a sound when a I drag the timeline :(

Is there something you have to do everytime you import a sound file ? or it automaticly play the sound ?

gdogfunk
08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
If you haven't already done so, go to file->import and select your audio clip....

Once imported, right-click on the timeline...and select your audio clip. You should see the waveform at that point.

I always work at 30fps, if the audio playback is funny, try setting your project to 30fps in the settings.

Hope that helps...

Ryan

shiro
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
YES ! I got it :p
Thank you for your help Gregoo !

I right-clic on my timeline and set the audio to active :p
Simple as ABC ... but you have to know where to clic :D

living_for_cg
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
my first participate in animations.:beer:
ok here it is my almost finished job. The dialog one. wait to hear your critics to make it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGNXESQxJLQ

If i have enough time i will surely do the Drinking posison.

shiro
08-22-2007, 09:26 PM
thank you gdogfunk :)

SirRon
08-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Finished Animation thread UP!!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=531973

You have 1 week left to finish.

elgrizzly
08-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Hello!

I'm far far far from happy with my animation so please comment... Would be a freat help!
Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpzWJ5xOZm0

A.

stanmation
08-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Hi this is my progress, animated the body with inbetween and lipsync (no facial expression), but i haven't offset the keys. I haven't done the ma walking at the background as well.

http://www.vimeo.com/283428

damncreative
08-23-2007, 01:06 PM
hey LIVING FOR CG. nice animation . good acting. like the reaction of the 2nd character too. keep it up. good luck. i guess u still workin on lip sync right?

living_for_cg
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
damncreative >> thanks so much for watching. Sure...i will put time on the lipsync.
stanmation >> the vimeo website is filtered for me and when i open it ..it says the video does not exist anymore.

gdogfunk
08-24-2007, 06:56 PM
HELP! I'm having a major Maya problem (v7)...I have been working on a single file of my CA for this contest...decided I'd do a save as...for a backup. When I load that new version, my second character is horribly twisted and rotated into a position that is NOT correct. I tried several things and even duplicated my working file, opened, made a small change to the first character, saved, closed, re-opened that file and the 2nd guy is even more twisted than before. I'm afraid to save in my working version for fear it will corrupt as well...I'm stuck!! Any ideas how to fix/prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Ryan

anmKevin
08-24-2007, 07:36 PM
aww man that sucks. That's happened to me before but I'm not sure how to fix it. I would recommend always saving out a new file, not over the same one again and again because then the file has a pretty good chance of screwing up. You can also put incremental save on which saves automatically from time to time. I don't use that though, just save a new file every half hour. Looking in my wip folder I'm up to save 67.

animking
08-25-2007, 06:38 AM
HELP! I'm having a major Maya problem (v7)...I have been working on a single file of my CA for this contest...decided I'd do a save as...for a backup. When I load that new version, my second character is horribly twisted and rotated into a position that is NOT correct. I tried several things and even duplicated my working file, opened, made a small change to the first character, saved, closed, re-opened that file and the 2nd guy is even more twisted than before. I'm afraid to save in my working version for fear it will corrupt as well...I'm stuck!! Any ideas how to fix/prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan, I'm not sure it will help you or not, but just try. I think just your mesh twisted, i have faced same kind of problem, I'm not sure but most probably it happens for accidentaly deleting some nodes, not sure.
Just try this, I think you animate using reference, so import the second character once more in the same scene as a reference( if u r not using reference then just import it), then copy the value of the control curves from graph editor of the problemetic character and paste that value in the new imported characters control curve (use clipboard option) but do it one by one ( copy one curve value then paste it and then select another and so on). I think it helps you, infact it helps me. Atlast delete the problemetic character and save it in a new version.

Don't worry.

matiuste
08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi this is my entry for this challenge!
hope it's not too late!

Looking forward to some comments please!!
can't wait for the other challenge!

check it out!
http://vimeo.com/289858 (http://vimeo.com/289858/l:transcoded_email)

living_for_cg
08-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Damn! i cant see anything in Vimeo...so i missed most of the animations here. :sad:

SirRon
08-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Voting session is open now!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=534010

Vimeo is filtered for you living_for_cg? Is it because you're in Iran or your personal connection? I'm not surprised some websites are being filtered out from certain countries. Let me know and I'll announce a warning for the next challenge on certain websites. Does youtube work for you at least?

If I can get the time I'll download the vimeo videos and put it up some place to download, hopefully you'll be able to access it.

SirRon
09-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Challenge #11 is up!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4623902#post4623902

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2007, 03:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.