PDA

View Full Version : normal map turn arounds?

jcriz
08-02-2007, 06:33 AM
I'm trying to produce a turnaround of a low poly model with a normal map applied to it in maya. The normal works fine in the hardware renderer and in the viewport. But looks all kinds of crappy in the software renderer. I'd be content showing the trunaround in the HW renderer, except the shadows are aliased to all hell and there are show artifacts, also I've seen many a modeling reel with low-poly,normal-mapped models with nice lighting and shadows. Anyone know how to render this in maya? I tried a plugin called JSmapper, but it only looked worse. Any help?

outlive
08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
maya software is not able to render normal maps correctly

try mental ray or maya hardware, as of maya version 8.0, mental ray is able to render normal maps too

renaissance01
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I use 3ds Max but i know that normal maps are supported in mental ray as i've rendered normal mapped turnarounds with it before so definately try mental ray in Maya. Hope it works :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.