PDA

View Full Version : HMC #10 Wolf Stalking prey

Facepunch
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
i'm going to try to pull this off, i'd like to work on fur so what better way than to try a challange! haha here's my reference so far from Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrothug/517393531/in/set-72157600377476752/

Facepunch
08-03-2007, 01:16 PM
well i have everything ready to go. got a late start last night, but will be modeling most of the weekend. here's just the very start of the head. lots to do

cjewell
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Welcome!.. glad you're aboard. Any ideas on how you are going to approach the fur?

Facepunch
08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
thanks bro! yeah i have pretty good idea with Maya 6. it comes with a paint tool for hair/fur. had to use it before on a giant monkey for a commerical. you do have to be careful, can take up some serious resources if not done right. but i attached a sample of what i'm going for.

Facepunch
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
this is what i have so far, cant seem to export from Maya into zbrush. which sucks i might just redo the head in zbrush and impot into Maya i know that works. i've been learning Maya on my own & im not that good but i am trying. :)

cjewell
08-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Coming along nicely...the tail looks like it might be a little too thick though. Keep it up!

Facepunch
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
i figured out how to export from Maya 6 (had to install a plugin) now im ready to get some detail & make this thing look like a wolf! here are some wireframe jpeg's that i needed to upload

TheRazorsEdge
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Coming along very nicely indeed! :thumbsup:

You need to pull the rib-cage down a bit, looks a tad weird right now.

Facepunch
08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
haha yeah it does. good call. needs rounded out a bit too. thanks Razor & Cjewell i'll fix that tail. appreciate the feedback. i need all the help i can get!

NoirQ
08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
He looks a bit square at the minute, you'd be able to sculpt that out, but i find it easier if you have the flow right to start with.

Yav
08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree with NoirQ...what most people seem to forget when modelling organic, is that there's muscles and skeleton beneath the skin. Try to understand the anatomy of the wolf and then you will have much better results. Otherwise, you'll only have a basic bloated model, which when taken to Zbrush, will be completely useless, as you will havean impossible time understanding where the muscles are in order to define them.

Facepunch
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
good call Yav. i'm going to work on the body more before i take into zbrush. try to get a better sculp of it. honestly, i didnt put much time in the body matching the reference. i'll work on that this week. thanks for the help guys. its amazing what you sometimes miss until someone points it out to you and your like "oh yeah that makes sense" hehe.

animastur
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I hope impatient zbrush touches...
:thumbsup:

Facepunch
08-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks animastur i think i get what ur saying hehe. wow, i just got Zbrush 3. big difference from 2. really, really, looking forward to working with 3. just need the time! end of the week is looking good for me to be able to sit & really dig into getting some work done.

Facepunch
08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
some work in ZBrush 3.

eldee
08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Nice start, however your proportions are off quite a bit on the face: The orbital recession is too far forward for a wolf, the ears are too close together and too small, and the snout is too thick. Wolves in general are known for their slender snouts (used for ferreting small mammals out of burrows). Take a look at lots of photos of wolves and take note of where everything is located. The ears, for example, are too close to the center of the head (like a rabbit). You should be able to draw a lateral line down the side of the wolf's face and pass through his eye and reach his ear-hole. Always keep reference handy (printed out or on another monitor) and your work will definitely reflect it! Keep up the hard work and don't get discouraged by my crits!

http://fohn.net/wolf-pictures-facts/gray-wolf-gaze.jpg

http://www.billybear4kids.com/animal/whose-toes/wolf/WolfStanding.jpg

http://www.yellowstonewolf.com/Wolf1.jpg

Facepunch
08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
thanks eldee appreciate the feedback. i was definitely over-exaggerating on this first ZB3 model & didnt even use a reference. im not sure what the exact rules are on this contest but i would like to make my wolf a bit over the top on everything. a little bit more exaggerated if you will. i'm really just getting a feel for ZBrush 3, this is the first i used it. so i'll be getting some more work done this weekend on it & we can see what would look the best. i am going to try your idea & keep a reference close by & we'll see what i come up with! and dont worry you are not going to damper my spirits thats why i joined this so i can learn! thanks bud!

Yav
08-09-2007, 06:47 PM
In my opinion it is vital to know the basics, before attempting any form of exaguration. Everyone can draw like Picasso, but not everyone realises that before his cubism and blue periods, he was a master of classical life and landscape drawing. What I am trying to say is that you should really model your wolf as anatomically correct as possible, and then when you bring it into Z-Brush, you will instantly receive a whole new wave of ideas, concerning possible alterations to his anatomy in order to make him more viscious or stylish or whatever.

Facepunch
08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
thanks Yav. you are right. :) well its back to the drawing board but this time i'll have a reference next to me. (thanks eldee) now that i am getting better familar with my new programs, its time to go to work & i'll post something much better and more anatomically correct. i am anxious to get out of work and go start on this. hehe i love this stuff. (even though i'm still learnng) but i must say getting this great feedback & idea's from you guys makes it even better, i can't thank you guys enough for the input , and i do value your opinions. i'll get get to work on it. rock on.

Facepunch
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
still working on the head. getting a little better me thinks.

Yav
08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
It still looks like soft wax, mainly because you have randomly added blotches of material, which do not correspond to the anatomy of the wolf. What you need is hard areas as well as soft ones. The eye sockets for example are nowhere near to be seen on your model. Think of the head as a skull dressed in skin and muscles. Some areas are more pronounced than others. Find reference of a dogs head, because the hair and fur on the wolf is really confusing you, thus making it impossible to establish the proper structure of the head.

Facepunch
08-10-2007, 02:44 PM
hmmm, i see what you are saying and yes the fur is confusing the hell out of me. i was warned not to try fur but what the heck. thats a good idea. i'll see if i can find anatomy of a dog/wolf. just the muscles/bone i see i am mixing the fur in with the anatomy and its giving a crappy result. very good call. i knew somrthing wasnt right but now i know what it is. you d'a man! hehe how's the bulls genitles coming with PETA? haha i caught that on one of the threads. that was pretty funny.

Facepunch
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
here's the pose i'm going for.

astrothug
09-11-2007, 04:42 AM
i'm going to try to pull this off, i'd like to work on fur so what better way than to try a challange! haha here's my reference so far from Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrothug/517393531/in/set-72157600377476752/

I don’t remember you asking permission to use my photo's can you email me asap and if not stop using my photo thanks.

RobertoOrtiz
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
FYI
HCR MINI-Challenge #10: Animals in Motion:Post the Final (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=538887)-R

Facepunch
09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I donít remember you asking permission to use my photo's can you email me asap and if not stop using my photo thanks.

they were on flicker which is a free picture sharing
i dont know what youare talking about so have a wonderful day. (sounds better?) haha

pixelranger
09-17-2007, 04:05 PM
I don’t remember you asking permission to use my photo's can you email me asap and if not stop using my photo thanks.

eh... so you put photos up on flickr because you DON'T want people to see them???
It's not like he attached a copy of your photo in the thread, he actually linked (as in LEAD) people to your album on flickr. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was a very polite and positive thing, seeing it from your POV. But if you don't want anyone to be redirected to your photos, or even want people to see them in general you really should take all your photos off the internet. People might accidently stumble upon them too....

KrakenCMT
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
they were on flicker which is a free picture sharing
idont know what youare talking about so take your pcitures and pound them up your ass, hows that sound. jackass

The first rule of the forum that shows when posting is "Be courteous and polite."

Facepunch, you forgot to say "Please, take your pictures...." :thumbsup: :applause:

Seriously, Why post pics on a pic sharing site, if you don't want people to see them? :rolleyes:

RobertoOrtiz
09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Astrothug the work was being used only as reference, and only for educational purpose.
In other words, No harm done
If there are any more issues, please next time send me a PM, before going to the artist.

BTW eldee you have 12 hours from the time of this post to publish your final entry.
-R

Facepunch
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
thanks for the help guys, sorry i got mad. but it just didnt make sense. i'll re-phrase my comment.

morphius-ms
09-21-2007, 04:56 AM
This kinda reminds me of that commercial where this highschool student puts up a picture on a bulletin board and everyone in the school takes it, and no matter how many take it it pops back up... then she comes back and takes it down and it pops back up again.

Since they were only used for reference I don't understand the problem it's not like facepunch is saying "I took these pictures... they are mine." No he said that these were used as reference, and showed where he got the pictures... think of it as sketching a statue... people proabably sketch the statue of David all the time... or even more recent statues... but it's in a different medium... this is kinda the same thing...

though yes he may use your pictures as reference... it's kinda saying "Here's a great picture I want to use to recreate a likeness of a wolf."

Though I'm not sure if you are really into CG because it looks as though you just made the account to post a rebuttal.

These are my thoughts.

I dunno I may just be kicking up settled dirt again.

Facepunch
09-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Amen Brother :)

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Ok guys time to talk
LESSONS LEARNED (Animals in Motion): Lets TalK! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=544040)
-R

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.