PDA

View Full Version : Shake enough?

StandAlone
08-01-2007, 04:04 PM
I`m about to put together a music video. My background is strictly shooting and editing and I`m brandspanking new to Shake. I want to shoot a video that mixes live-action with some 3D animation and matte sets and VFX. Is Shake going to be all I need or should I be thinking about buying some other program?

buttachunk
08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
you will obviously need a 3d app. for the 3d elements. possibly a 3d tracker for integrating the live action (depending on how it was shot). shake has the tools for compositing, either integrated, or available as plugins.

StandAlone
08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Cheers. I won`t do any of the 3D work. I`ll leave that to someone who knows what they are doing. I will be shooting and compositing though. I`m going to stick pretty much to locked-off shots to keep things simple. There are about 3 dolly shots I want to do though. I was going to just keep tabs on all the camera motion manually. What trackers would you suggest would be worthwhile?

Kokosing
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
If you're not doing the 3D yourself, then you should probably ask the 3D folks if they can track the shots. If you're new to 3D camera tracking, it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth to learn it just for this job. That said, simple dollies could probably be handled by Pixel Farm Hoe, which is only 50USD and is fairly straight forward.

A lot of tracking problems can be solved with Shake's 2D trackers (either the pattern trackers or the smoothcam tracker.) Often objects added to scenes with camera movement don't really require 3D tracking. Imagine for instance the billboard tracked onto a moving bus in the Shake tutorials.

W

StandAlone
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Cool thanks, I'll start doing some tests over the next couple weeks. I'll try out some tracking using pixel farm hoe. I won't be just learning these skills just for this one clip, this is actually just to test the waters before I commit to using the programs for a couple of other projects. I need to find some 3D artists in Tokyo, though. People who can be there when we shoot. Thanks for the advice!

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.