PDA

View Full Version : Plz people can u check this but?!

bazuka
08-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I just finished with modeling some character and when i try to skin it and paint weight i saw some bug and i was pissed off,

when i try to turn on in Paint Skinn Weight Tool->Stroke Reflection (x, y, z) this is what i got (nothing)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8674/bugpl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

so, could any1 tell me how the hell i can turn this shit on!

i just cant believe that autodesk ****ed up everything

p.s. Maya 8.5 Sp1

scroll-lock
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I`m not infront of Maya but I think that was only available when painting something other than skinCluster... that includes blendshapes, other kind of deformers, clusters... etc... but not a skinCluster. Although I never needed it because the Mirror Skin Cluster function is great.

bazuka
08-02-2007, 09:06 AM
man thats stupid, i know that that thing worked in maya 7 and 8

scroll-lock
08-02-2007, 09:37 AM
hmm just checked either in 7 and 8. It`s not working :) Seriously I`ve never seen it working on skinCluster. But why use this anyway? Why don`t you paint the half of your object then mirror the weights?

bazuka
08-02-2007, 09:41 AM
no way man im 100% that i worked in maya 7 and i used this option...

why dont u check this script coz the men uses everything from maya and there is a mirror/reflect

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/skinningTools-3034.html

BoostAbuse
08-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Always has worked, when in doubt... hack it. Artisan scripting is a pain in the ass, but one of the strongest skills a Character TD can have :)

artAttrSkinPaintCtx -e -projective true - reflection true `currentCtx`;

That will turn the projective with Reflection on for you and force the Paint Weights window to execute the mirror painting commands. Don't forget to turn Screen Projection off so you can use an exact mirror coordinate system.

enjoy!

-s

Haider of Sweden
09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi mr S.

Your clue helped me with a problem I had currently.
To be more precise, my checkbox for "reflection" was greyed out.
I wonder why.

The only way was using your tips to check/unckeck through mel:

artAttrSkinPaintCtx -e -reflection true `currentCtx`;
or
artAttrSkinPaintCtx -e -reflection false `currentCtx`;

Is there a way to make the checkbox work normal?

Haider of Sweden
02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
no way man im 100% that i worked in maya 7 and i used this option...

Pretty weired.
I am currently using v7 and I also remember this option used to work.
Now that I am skinning, I can see the checkbox is greyed out.

Is there a way to make the checkbox work normal?
So the question is; What MEL file is builing up this UI. Maybe its me who messed up some file or maybe a script that I am using that is overriding the standard UI-mel code??

Is there a way to make a toggle-mel code? I mean, if the UI cant be fixed, at least I could have a shelf button that works.

Haider of Sweden
02-09-2008, 09:44 AM
About my second question; I managed to fix the toggle. Allthough it wasnt perfect:

string $refl = `artAttrSkinPaintCtx -q -rn artAttrSkinContext `;
if ($refl == true)
else

I have no idea how to use `currentCtx` instead of artAttrSkinContext. I guess `currentCtx` is better since it would work on other kind of Weight Painters.

edit: maybe this should be posted in the MEL section ... :rolleyes:

BoostAbuse
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
The UI is stored as 'artAttrSkinProperties.mel' which should be in your scripts/others install path. That should pretty much give you the access you need if you wanted to trigger that toggle automatically when Maya loads to enable to checkBox.

BoostAbuse
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
About my second question; I managed to fix the toggle. Allthough it wasnt perfect:

string $refl = `artAttrSkinPaintCtx -q -rn artAttrSkinContext `;
if ($refl == true)
else

I have no idea how to use `currentCtx` instead of artAttrSkinContext. I guess `currentCtx` is better since it would work on other kind of Weight Painters.

edit: maybe this should be posted in the MEL section ... :rolleyes:

currentCtx works better as it defines the current context the tool is working with which is a fairly constant when working with artisan related tools at least in my experience.

Haider of Sweden
02-16-2008, 12:42 PM
currentCtx works better as it defines the current context the tool is working with which is a fairly constant when working with artisan related tools at least in my experience.
All right, but how should I put `currentCtx` in yet another ` .. ` sentence? That's what I couldn't manage to solve.

The UI is stored as 'artAttrSkinProperties.mel' which should be in your scripts/others install path. That should pretty much give you the access you need if you wanted to trigger that toggle automatically when Maya loads to enable to checkBox.

Couldn't actually find anything usefull after a quick look.
It seems however that the mirroring function is greyed out for sure in version 7.0 and 7.01.
To make sure I don't have a script that is causing this I removed my 7.0 folder with no difference.

And since I never play with the files inside the original maya folder I can't really imagine what removed the mirror option other than that it is completely removed since Maya7.
It must mean that last time I could do mirror was in Maya6.

Question is; Can the 'artAttrSkinProperties.mel' be tweaked and put locally so that the mirror option appeares again?

meljunky
02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Another way to write the code to toggle the brush on/off:

string $ctx = `currentCtx`;
artAttrSkinPaintCtx -e -reflection (!`artAttrSkinPaintCtx -q -reflection $ctx`) $ctx;

-Brian
www.meljunky.com (http://www.meljunky.com)

BenBarker
02-22-2008, 11:13 PM
If this sheds any light on it, from the docs on Mirror Skin Weights:

Reflection is disabled for the Paint Skin Weights Tool. Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Mirror Skin Weights (file:///C:/Maya/Maya8.5/docs/Maya8.5/en_US/Animation/Skin__Edit_Smooth_Skin__Mirror_Skin_Weights.html) can be used as an alternative method to do reflection of the skin weights.

Haider of Sweden
02-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Another way to write the code to toggle the brush on/off:

string $ctx = `currentCtx`;
artAttrSkinPaintCtx -e -reflection (!`artAttrSkinPaintCtx -q -reflection $ctx`) $ctx;
[/url]
Thanx Brian!

I'm so weak for short and smart code :)
The (! is for inverting a value, right?

If this sheds any light on it, from the docs on Mirror Skin Weights:

Reflection is disabled for the Paint Skin Weights Tool. [url="file:///C:/Maya/Maya8.5/docs/Maya8.5/en_US/Animation/Skin__Edit_Smooth_Skin__Mirror_Skin_Weights.html"]Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Mirror Skin Weights (http://www.meljunky.com) can be used as an alternative method to do reflection of the skin weights.

Thank you, but I know this one already.
Thing is that while you're skind painting, you don't want to think "OK, I will paint on the one side and not caring about the other side because I am gonna mirror it later".
Mirroring while painting is very useful.

Only time I use Mirror Skin Weights is when I want to make sure that if one side is very good skinned, I will have the same skin paint quality on the other side. And that's for eg arms and stuff that you can't paint with the symmetry option turned on.

Now. It seems that the "Reflection" is greyed out only in the Skin Weight tool.
Using eg. Paint Selection Tool, Paint Attribute Tool and other allows you to turn on/off Reflection.
It must mean that a MEL file, either 'artAttrSkinProperties.mel' or antherone is tweaked so it greyes out the reflection setting.
Does anyone of you know how to tweak that MEL file to remove the greyed-out option?

Haider of Sweden
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Aight chicks

Here is the solution.
A friend of mine, the mighty MEL guru Gino Dammers gave me a push to the right direction.

Go find the file artisanProperties.mel and save it into your regular script-path (no need to tweak the original file) and its gonna override the one in the maya-folder

Find the row containing:
int $toolSupportsReflection = ($currTool != "artAttrSkin");

and change it to:
int $toolSupportsReflection = 1;

It seems that Alias/Autodesk put a prevent against mirroring inside SkinWeightPaint. They have a point. Say you're painting SkinWeights for the left arm. By mistake reflection is turned on. So when you're moving the left arm joint you see verts from the right arm are getting affected.

However, if you are working in the chest area for example this is going to be just fine because the mesh area is centered and you'll need mirror.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.