PDA

View Full Version : 3d animation of a hookah

atarigraffx
08-01-2007, 06:40 AM
anybody have any pointers on a basic animation of a Hookah that comes to life??
it has to be in Maya.
i have a nurbs base for the hookah and two long rope like stems that i modeled out of nurbs but i think ill remodel them into three seperate parts. im thinking deformers but if you guys have thoughts id like to listen

Animonster
08-03-2007, 08:53 PM
I know lots of people would like to see the body of the hookah jumping and squishing around, but the hookah is most likely made of a material that doesn't squish, so - if it that is correct - don't try to make it squish.

The only approach I see, then, is to use the "arms" of the hookah to move itself around like a spider or crab. Put a root joint at a place in the hookah that would be the center of gravity (most likely in the middle of the model about where all of the arms come out) and then add joints down through the arms.

You could use a foot setup if you don't need many joints in the arms and just want it to walk around, but - if you want the arms to swing around like some ou-of-control tentacles - you could also use a spline IK setup. If you just used two the arms as legs on which the hookah can walk around, you could get some really fun animation out of that model.

It's really hard to help much more than that seeing as how we have no idea what the model looks like and we don't know what actions the hookah is supposed to perform.

Hyphen
08-05-2007, 06:34 AM
I know lots of people would like to see the body of the hookah jumping and squishing around, but the hookah is most likely made of a material that doesn't squish, so - if it that is correct - don't try to make it squish.

i disagree with that. one of the most basic ideas of animation is "squash and stretch." even hard surface, inanimate objects can squash and stretch. disney, wb, and mgm have shown this idea time and time again. lumiere, cogsworth and mrs. pots from beauty and the best are probably the most well recognizable examples of this. a clock can't twist, bounce or move...but disney made it happen.

when you think about animation as "don't make it squish if it isn't supposed to squish" is when it becomes less of beathing life and more of just making-things-move.

anybody have any pointers on a basic animation of a Hookah that comes to life??
it has to be in Maya.
i have a nurbs base for the hookah and two long rope like stems that i modeled out of nurbs but i think ill remodel them into three seperate parts. im thinking deformers but if you guys have thoughts id like to listen
it depends on how you want to animate this hookah and what you want it to do. you can treat the ropes like arms and use a chain of bones (sort of like a tail). you should also look into stretchy ik and stretch/squash blend shapes.

atarigraffx
08-05-2007, 02:59 PM
i think it would be sick if the hookah was dancing like a belly dancer to some Mediterranean music

Hyphen
08-07-2007, 03:29 AM
if you want to do a belly dancing hookah, i would suggest you research spline-ik setups.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2007, 03:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.