PDA

View Full Version : Shake evolution

Crazzy Legs
07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Understanding that companies have purchased the Shake Source Code and are personalizing Shake for their own needs. Has anyone here worked with an "upgraded" version of shake that you believe the rest of the industry would benefit from? Though I know, 98% of the companies aren't going to be handing out their proprietary version of Shake anytime soon, especially since Shake has been very customizable since its carnation. I just like hearing some fun stories.

MinaRagaie
08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
oh, me too, would like to know what companies did, or doing with shake source code...
(tell us just what won't get you fired :) )

-Mina

beaker
08-11-2007, 03:31 AM
Mostly just bug fixes and further integrating it into the pipeline. Not a huge amount of stuff so far. I know a few companies managed to compile it for 64 bit and supposedly 4.1 source will compile for windows.

Crazzy Legs
08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
seeing as nothing is broke with it, why fix it.

beaker
08-15-2007, 12:26 AM
seeing as nothing is broke with it, why fix it.hehe, yea right. Have you even used Shake?

MinaRagaie
08-15-2007, 08:56 AM
hehe, yea right. Have you even used Shake?

:) I wounder y shake then??
I'm no expert here and I'm not going into "wich is a better app" debate either... (I know it's pointless).. but...

Really, what makes a big company choose an app over another one??
Basic functionality... almost the same in all apps
Advanced functionality... not much of a difference, and with R&D backing you up your never lost.
UI... not even worth mentoning here.

excuse me if any of what I said is incorrect, just thing from my narrow point of view and my lil experience :)

Mina

MinaRagaie
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Sorry... double post. plz delete

Aneks
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I heard the same things as Deke is mentioning. A 64 bit version and a windows port of 4.1
I just hope someone did something about that caching !?

adisan
08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
what caching? shake had caching? i never noticed it!

beaker
08-18-2007, 01:04 AM
what caching? shake had caching? i never noticed it!It does under linux, but under mac it doesn't.

Crazzy Legs
08-23-2007, 03:08 AM
hehe, yea right. Have you even used Shake?

You are right, that is a bit of an overstatement, but seeing how vast Shake is, it performs quite well. I've had tons of issues with it on some older O2s, but they didn't have enough RAM for the work we were doing with Shake. I tend to overlook missing updated features and bugs when the rest of the program is rock solid, but you're right, I have seen some funky activity with it from time to time in certain areas, much less then other programs though of equal size and ability.

I haven't used it in a cutting edge (last three years) pipeline, so I can imagine that there are plenty of lacking standards or little features missing.

beaker
08-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Shake is a fine program, I use it every day on countless features. The illusion that it is perfect and doesn't need any fixing is just crazy person talk.

Aneks
08-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Yeah it gets my back up that you get folks looking to get into compositing saying things like " well I would buy/learn Shake but it is dead and doesn't have 'x' feature so I won't bother with it. "

and here I am like a fool, using it to do feature film......

Still I have just come back to Shake after 10 weeks in Nuke and I am pulling my hair waiting for my float comps to update !

dyankayn
08-26-2007, 04:54 PM
i wud go on with this, still it makes out money. but u have AE still though u had softwares with features manyfold. Unless another software gets into all the major pipelines of vfx..guess shake will have its new face...its always the demand which runs the show.

shake with

realtime cache of frames...to have a local cache to run the frames in 2K at all levels of the comp! - can u believe this!!

3d interface with origin grid and more 3d camera features

integrated(inside shake) film look viewer....integrating monitor calibration

whats more guys roll out ur dream future shake...what it can be...

LukaStellwag
08-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't think shake will last much longer in the existing piplines. At least not if Phenomen (Wasn't that the name of it's successor?) is coming in 08, I guess it's going to replace shake.

MinaRagaie
08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I didn't know it was coming out in 2008, any sneak peak, yet??

I guess they'll be offering it for osx only... that would be bad news for all those linux based piplines... we'll wait and see.. meanwhile learning shake still sounds like a good idea.
I hope phenomen will be at least as good as shake.

beaker
08-27-2007, 02:00 AM
I don't think shake will last much longer in the existing piplines. At least not if Phenomen (Wasn't that the name of it's successor?) is coming in 08, I guess it's going to replace shake.Maybe for the smaller companies, but not for the larger ones. Over 30+ different companies paid 50k for the source code. Most(90%) of the big companies run linux not osx and Phenomenon is probably going to be osx only. Also if Phenomenon is like 99% of the other software out there, it is going to be extremely buggy and missing lots of features for the first 1-2 years after it comes out.

taffy77
09-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Ok so first off as per the usual apple company policies there is no release date for there new comp application, and i doubt we will get much notice of when it will be released. As for the source code, yep we all know that some companies bought it but it is very dificult to put a number on how many companies did as those who did are not aloud to discuss they have the code I beleive. those who did buy it will easily get there monies worth within a year if they are larger houses like people are saying, and can then move onto the next big software whatever that is.

As for the osx issue, yep my guess is that the gui will run only on OSX. Will that stop companies switching?? My take is that most larger facilty turnover of Hardware is 18 months. So if it runs on osx but you can render on any box then companies will consider it if it is that good. On the reverse is that if it will only render on OSX then the larger facilities will find it more difficult to make a switch.

my 2 cents

isxaari
01-24-2008, 04:32 AM
In the land of america its all about $. It will either A: come out on mac first and then for linux. (for a higher price) B: Will be mac only at first then go to linux. C: You can use PC render farms. I wonder how Discreets Toxic is doing?

beaker
01-24-2008, 04:57 AM
In the land of america its all about $. It will either A: come out on mac first and then for linux. (for a higher price) B: Will be mac only at first then go to linux. C: You can use PC render farms.I doubt it. As you said, it's all about $. Apple makes a lot more money when you buy more mac's then if it were to sell it for linux/windows.

Also there are too many technologies like Core Image/Video/Animation/ that give you gpu processing for free for them not to take advantage of them (they are osx only technologies).

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2008, 04:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.