PDA

View Full Version : Pixarlike Logo Animation (what do you think?)

InfoManiac
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey !

Iīve done this little animation for my girlfriend and was hoping for some comments & critique from people who also use programs like Maya, 3DS, etc (my girlfriend knows nothing about 3D Animation :-P)

So...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVHSShl2tsU

Itīs her name in there (where heīs jumping over)
I know Youtubeīs quality is crap, but itīs easy for her to watch, etc...

So, any comments are welcome ! Thanks

cshields214
07-31-2007, 08:10 PM
hey man,

Heh, i dont know why you made this for her. But if its to impress her and she is actually 'into' animation and 3d, then great for you. Hold on to that one. :) I know my girlfriend wouldnt be impressed by my animation.

But my comments, you may have heard this before, but it looks like slow motion towards the beginning. Also the coordination of the jump and the bounce of the "I" looks a little off.

Except for that it looks pretty good!

good luck

_chase

Btw.. dont take my comments too harsh.. im a beginner myself :)

InfoManiac
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
LOL.

Actually...the idea came up when we were watching Ratatouille (I think) and she saw the Pixar logo at the beginning and said something like: "Ohh, thatīs soooo cute". LOL
But yeah, she likes to see my animations :-P

Then I decided to make it since itīs simple, just a few hours of work...

But thanks for your tips...I'll sped up the beginning a little bit, it does look a bit slow-mo.

Thank you very much :)

Lycanine
08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
InfoManiac, I think the animation itself is really cute and I think your girlfriend would love it. Its so special because in the end you did something like that for her. *thumbs up*

Oh, TehJanitor, its possible that even if you think your girlfriend won't be impressed, that maybe she would realise how much effort you placed into something like that for her, and yes, it will be appreciated.

Its not everyday someone makes an animation for you... o.o!

InfoManiac
08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey !

Thank you very much !!! Thatīs a really kind post :)

Iīm sure sheīll think itīs cute too... I tried to make him a little more secretive than Pixarīs... he just doesnīt get there and jumps on the "I" straight away.
He looks at one side, looks at the other...checks if anyone is watching him. Then the "I" sort of moves when he lands on it, which doesnīt happen on the original... he moves more like a child, compared to the Pixarīs one, I guess...

At least thatīs what I aimed at, anyway...

But thanks again !!!

cshields214
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
lol lycanine

Thats true, she probably would enjoy an animation just like anything else i make her. I think the part she doesnt like, is the fact that animation steals some of my time from her. :D

Chase

InfoManiac
08-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Hey, me again !

Iīve changed my mind a little bit...that background was much like Pixarīs, but it isnīt the most female-friendly thing in the world, so I made another one. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPa1OAMyHRU

Thanks !

Animonster
08-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I won't say anything about the originality in concept/design, but the animation needs a bit of work.

1)Weight
The lamp doesn't have any convincing weight. If you look at the base of the lamp at any given part of the video, it appears to be floating quickly instead of jumping. You should try adjusting your curves in your graph/f-curve editor to make the poses snap a bit more.

Also, the body of the lamp should squish (it looks like a robotic lamp that can bend at joints to look like it is squishing) when it is jumping. For the most part, I just see the head bobbing up and down.

2)Pacing
The general pacing could use a re-work, as well. (I got bored before this short video was finished - I would have cut it off in any other situation, but I wanted to watch it all because you are asking for critiques.) The entire video seems to run by at a seemingly linear speed.

To break these actions up and make them more interesting, make some actions faster and some actions slower. Don't just randomly pick some actions and change the speed, however. Consider what motivates the character to do every individual action you animate - if you understand why a character is doing something, you will have a much better grasp on how to animate it convincingly.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2007, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.