PDA

View Full Version : how do I transform a cluster?

stzaske
03-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Ok, I'm trying to setup a character, with muscle effects created using clusters. My problem is I' not sure how to transform clusters when they are a part of a larger skeletal system.

Specifically, I'm trying to create facial muscles, like the Zygomaticus set. If I create a cluster, and parent it to my headjoint, it does not transform correctly. For example, if my head rolls forward, the cluster always rights itself so up is on the WorldY axis. I've tried changing the relative checkbox, but that does not do what I'm looking for (and it seems like it should).

The only solution I can think of is pretty complex (and I haven't tried it). I was thinking I could create a separate bone, and then constrain the cluster rotation+point to that bone.

Does anyone else know a solution to this problem?

-=STZ=-

michaelcomet
03-27-2003, 06:41 PM
First off cluster rotation won't matter unless more than one vertex is selected anyhow...

But regardless I thought clusters or at least their handles would inherit the rotatins of the parent.

However one thing you might try is to not animate the cluster directly but to group it, and animate the group. Then stick the group in the hierarchy...

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is tho.........

sp0rk3d
03-27-2003, 08:58 PM
what you probably want is to animate lacators that move like they were in the same place as the clusters at bindpose....

but the clusters will not be parented to anything .. they will stay behind the character but the driving locators will move with the body (prented to skull or whatever)....

make sure to Freeze transforms on all the locators after moved to the right location, and group all the locators together then parent to whatever...

all clusters should be NON relative....

connect the translate and rotate outputs directly form the locators on the face to the corisponding clusters... (one locator per cluster)....

lastly make sure your clusters are affecting your head mesh BEFORE you skinClusters
in channel box it would look like this:

INPUTS
skinCluster1
cluster1
tweak1

haveing skinCluster on top of the cluster makes it deform the mesh AFTER the cluster....
note this will work best if the head mesh is skinned not parented

hope that this helps :)

stzaske
03-28-2003, 09:42 AM
sp0rk3d:

Thanks for the suggestions. Your idea got me to a working solution. I was trying to group/parent the Cluster to my skeleton and it did NOT like that. Whenever I would rotate the neck, my Zygomaticus cluster would stretch the face CRAZY.

My solution? I removed the cluster from my skeleton, created a locator in the general area of the muscle, then in the hypergraph linked the locators transform and rotate to the cluster. Still seems like there should be an easier way, but this works for me.

-=STZ=-

sp0rk3d
03-28-2003, 10:14 AM
yeah that is the best way i have found to use clusters on a rigged character....

i love that Don Hertzfeldt avatar btw.... "my anus is bleeding".... "yaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!" hahaha gets me every time... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.