PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading advice

MellowFellon
07-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Well my cpu has finally proved itself to be unstable for 3d and animation work. It crashed today while running cpu tester lite. So I think it's time to upgrade, right? or is there some other way? I don't have too much free bucks hanging around.

----------------

Current setup -

----------------

cpu: 3 ghz p4 with ht

motherboard: gigabyte 8ipe1000

ram: 1024 meg ram (2*512)

gfx card: nvidia geforce ti 4200 128meg

harddrive speed and capacity: 1 maxtor

----------------

What is the cheapest upgrade I can do? I have one other intel with the same specs that I will be using for a render machine. Should I stick to intel or try amd this time?

Failing that, here is what I have looked at. (thanks many times to Lots for his patience and advice)

-----------------

Proposed setup -

-----------------

cpu: amd x2 64 4800

motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe ,AM2 ,nForce 570 SLI, PCIe - ATX Mainboard

ram: 2048MB DDR2 900MHz Memory -( 2x 1024MB Kit)

gfx card: 512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX- Dual DVI,HDTV & TV-Out + DVI -

PCI-Express

harddrive speed and capacity: hoping to use what I have.

----------------

lots
07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
What's your budget?

Are you sure you need to get a new system? Maybe there's something that can be done to improve the current one..

Beanmaster
07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't know how much performance you need, but another option would be to get a new CPU for your board (i guess socket 478), so a new P4. Then maybe 1 GB more RAM and a faster AGP graphics card (for example 7800GS).

MellowFellon
08-01-2007, 08:24 AM
well I would like to continue with this system, even though it's not the fasted it copes with mots things I throught at it!

Would you suggest I simply order another p4 cpu fomr somewhere?

I have tested my ram. I have tested my cpu. And updated my motherboard drivers. It is still crashing. I wil run another cpu burn or analysis test today, and see what happens. I have even replaced my standard intel fan, with a zoltan. Alas that has also proven not to be the answer.

lots
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Out of curiosiity have you done any virus/spyware scans recently? Does it always crash when rendering?

MellowFellon
08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, it does not crash everytime. However, if I start rendering I know it is just a matter of time. Same as with my sequence, when I treid to render an animation, it started smoothly, but when I came to my machine in the morning, the pc had crashed and the sequence was incomplete.

davijin
08-01-2007, 06:43 PM
what temp is your cpu running at when you are rendering. even though your replaced the fan doesnt mean it still cant be overheating. also theres other stuff that can overheat besides the processor. a program like speedfan should give you an idea if stuff is overheating, harddrives, motherboard whatever. seems like as it stays at a constant stress level it cant keep the processor temp down and after a while it just heats up to the point that the fail safes kick in. it also could be possible that the bios processor shutdown temp is set low. just some ideas.

Beanmaster
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
If your other setup is the same you could exchange some parts to test what's wrong, exchange the RAM for example first. Look on your mainboard, sometimes when it was overheated you see some brown liquid on some parts, i don't know what the parts are called technically.

hominid
08-02-2007, 12:12 AM
More ram no question.

And if you want a new machine check out the prices on the new quadcores from intel. They just dropped em.

lots
08-02-2007, 01:04 PM
If your other setup is the same you could exchange some parts to test what's wrong, exchange the RAM for example first. Look on your mainboard, sometimes when it was overheated you see some brown liquid on some parts, i don't know what the parts are called technically.
The liquid comes from capacitors (cylendars, black usually but come in other colors too). They're kinda like batteries, and have chemicals in them. Generally they bloat, leak, explode when a surge goes through the system.

In either case, if your motherboard has a chunk of capacitors that are in this bloated/leaking state, you need a new motherboard :P

MellowFellon
08-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Hmmm don't see anything bloated except my stomach! :)

I have installed Speedfan, but I cant seem to make much sense of the log. Just saying since my machine crashed again while rendering. While I was not monitoring the whole time, I can safely say that temperature never went higher than 50 degrees. What happened when I left, is another story. I feel like throwing the dam thing in the pool. :banghead:

lots
08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
You should run memtest86.

MellowFellon
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I have run it, but it picked up no errors. Strangely enough whilst rendering on GI Final gathering my machine crashed on frame 3 of my animation (20 mins first frame). The second time I ran it I had another crash on frame 3.

I switched to Monticarlo and it rendered off till I stopped it on frame 12.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.