PDA

View Full Version : Problems with TGA's

JonasNoell
03-27-2003, 03:25 PM
I build up a normal texture as usually then move from the layer section to the channel section create a new alpha layer and paint the parts I want to have transparent black and those I like untransparent white. Then I move to file save as -> Tga but he sais that my files must be saved as a copy with this selection so I don't can save the Alpha Channels, he puts an http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon4.gif before it. I used to work a lot with TGA's some time ago and it always worked.
I also tried to build up a new file by using only 1 transparent layer and painted directly some shapes on it only to test it out, but somehow he doesn't save the Alpha Channels.
Any idea what I did wrong? Should I perhaps reinstall???

Thanks in advance
cANt

windowlicker
03-27-2003, 05:29 PM
I assume you use PS7. Seems like they changed the way a 32-bit tga works with the alpha... I use tiff instead - saves alpha the way tga used to.

Or you can change to PS6. :p

qwatkins
03-27-2003, 05:32 PM
are you on a Mac or Windows?

eek
03-27-2003, 05:56 PM
We get the same problem at work, using PS7 on nt machines. Targa doesnt seem to be able to handle alpha.

eek

JonasNoell
03-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I updated to PS 7.0 and didn't touched TGA's till then. Before I only worked with TGA's on 6.0 so its kinda confusing why it doesn't seem to work even if I do the same steps...
Well are you shure there isn't any way to go on working with TGA's and PS 7.0? TGA's are the mainly the only graphic format that is supported by the most games, and I don't wanna "degrade" to 6.0 again.
Any idea?

My system: Windows 98

Thanks in advance
cANt

windowlicker
03-27-2003, 06:08 PM
It's so ****ed up! Why would adobe change the way a file-format uses alpha? Has anyone checked for patches on the adobe website - if this after all is a bug?

dans
03-27-2003, 06:27 PM
I think there was something mentioned in the Photoshop 7.01 Update.

Daniel

dans
03-27-2003, 07:10 PM
The most significant fixes in the 7.0.1 release include the following:

Photoshop now saves alpha transparency data in Targa files in the same way it did in previous versions.

Photoshop 7.01 Update (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/update.html)

Daniel

JonasNoell
03-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks a lot man :beer:
Thanks for help and advice :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.