PDA

View Full Version : Any news on the Cinema4D FBX support?

bcbarnes
03-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Read that back in December it was announced that Cinema4D would support the FBX format "soon". Any updates on this?

CurtisG
03-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi bcbarnes,

The plugin is being developed by Maxon, so you would have to send them an email, expressing your intrest in the FBX plugin, and for an update on when it will be released.

The more Cinema4D users that ask them about it, the more Maxon will work to get it out.

Cheers,

bcbarnes
03-31-2003, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the info. I dropped MAXON an email, and they said that they are still comitted to providing it, but were unable to give me a time frame.

In the meantime, is it reasonable to export from C4D as a .3DS or .DXF, import that into MB, then export out of MB in the same format - or perhaps export as BVH for skeleton animations? Is there a better way until the plugin becomes available?

CurtisG
03-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Hey bcbarnes,

Motionbuilder does support importing .3ds (v.2 only) and .dxf formats. You can then bone and skin your character. You can also bring in .BVH skeletons from other packages.

Cheers,

crgowo
04-02-2003, 06:03 PM
I was under the impression you cant bone your characters in MB you have to import then already with bones. How do you put bones on a model in mb that doesnt already have bones. Or does the the dxf and 3ds export bones as well?

bcbarnes
04-02-2003, 07:13 PM
I have not been able to get the .3DS format to work. C4D exports in "R4" and apparently MB only likes "R2"??? Anyway, bones don't seem to be exported by the .DXF format out of C4D.

I guess what I'm stuck with is to model in C4D. Bone and weight (i.e. Skin) in MB, create the animation, then export a .BVH file of the animated skeleton that I can then put into my model in C4D.

Sheesh - I sure hope the .FBX plugin arrives soon...

crgowo - You can add a root bone asset, and multiple joint bone assets, to your models in MB. Look in the manual under "Creating a skeleton". I haven't actually tried it, but the manual explains how it is done.

Edit: Actually, this just creates a "skeleton" character, I think. It doesn't add "bone deformers" like I thought it did...

bry
04-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Hi there,
you can find out more about the FBX plugin for C4D here:

http://www.postforum.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=75555&t=75555

bry

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.