PDA

View Full Version : Drawing skillz

_Icarus
04-07-2002, 08:47 AM
I am trying to improve on my drawing skills to improve my 3D skillz. What do you all experienced artists have to say about this, how can I improve my skill level apart from practice, practice, practice :)

If its a stupid question, then ignore me, here is my sketch:
http://www.english-magazine.com/ketchdragon.jpg

ParanoidAndroid
04-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Very nice...

Heres a little tip: to make your creature appear less cartoony try getting more degrees of dark and light with the pencil. In your drawing you will notice it alomost appears flat because you have almost colored it in rather than shaded...just try to get more of a gradient of shades going from light to dark. also dont be afraid to losen up a little. :) Oh yeah try not to outline ;)

And lastly PRACTICE! :D

trask
04-07-2002, 01:31 PM
icarus: one more thing: Use basic shapes and outlines to layout your character (or whatever your drawing) before you start drawing the lines. I know that might sound ridiculious but its true.

First layout everything in shapes to get the composition and proportions looking right -then start drawing in your detail

I wish i had the drawing section of my site completed so you can look at my work to see what im talking about. you can still checkout some thumbnails at least if you got a few min http://www.swfdc.com/portfolio

keep at it.

Gilgamesh
04-07-2002, 02:53 PM
Yeah, trask was right on. (By the way, nice stuff on your site).
Try doing some gesture drawings, where you look at someone and draw really fast. Don't worry about little details, but use your pencil (pen, whatever) to try and "feel" the shape of the body. Don't think about how muscles and clothing should look, but draw them as you see them, and concentrate on matching the pose and proportions. Hope that helps. Oh yeah, and most importantly, practice! :D :D

ParanoidAndroid
04-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Gilgamesh mentioned gesture drawings which will help you alot. But you may try doing those drawings without looking at the paper. You'll be surprised how much more accurate the proportions and perpective will be than if you did it looking at the paper because you're drawing what you see not what you think you see. ;) That type of exercise has helped me alot...it only works though if you have some sort of model (duh) lol.

_Icarus
04-08-2002, 07:29 AM
ParanoidAndroid: Thanx for you advice, I'll follow it. Before when I sketched I never shaded, just outlined, and sometimes I see great artists do not shade (3D artists making great sktches)

trask: actually i do use basic shapes and outlines, maybe not that great, but I do and also thanx for the advise.

Gilgamesh: I'll try the gesture drawing, thats good advise from evryone, thanx!

Here is another sketch and a better old one:

http://www.english-magazine.com/dragonS02.jpg
http://www.english-magazine.com/beastS.jpg

rendermonkey23
04-08-2002, 08:00 AM
Try and get one of your friends to pose for you (tell him to strap on a speedo) and time yourself. Do a bunch of one minute gestures. do a bunch of 2 minute, 5 min, 15 min, 30 minute sketches. Honestly, if you want to improve, there's one way.... practice, and be observant. Try and find shapes in your models when your drawing live models. Dont focus on little details. Always start with quick gestures and get the pose and all proportions nailed before adding ANY detail. Dont just shade areas that are curved to simulate the curve. Think about how much light will be hitting that certain curve or whatever and then shade (eg. look at the abs of your character... those would be quite a bit lighter than the darkest shaded spots cause they wouldn't be very recessed and would recieve more light). Draw buddy draw.

Also, this is a personal thing I do but try and keep a pose in your head when your doing your gesture drawing. Try not to draw all of your characters in the same pose cause you'll get better if you draw from a different pose everytime. Practice foreshortening.

I hope these basic rules help man.

rendermonkey23
04-08-2002, 08:12 AM
Oh and practice perspective :)

_Icarus
04-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Thanx evrybody, you've been most helpful, i'll keep on drawing!:thumbsup:

Peace :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.