PDA

View Full Version : Reactor- filling a jar

kenchr
07-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to use reactor to fill a jar with beads, I have created the jar and the beads, set their properties and made them all part of a rigid body. When I preview the simulation the beads fall right through the jar. If I change the jar simulation properties to bounding sphere instead of concave mesh the beads bounce off the top, so I'm close, I just can't get them to stop inside the jar.

Any suggestions?

thanks

-k

Jsnyder
07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
My suggestion would be to use a seperate mesh for the simulation. Like create a box, and rotate it around the center of the jar so you have like, 12 boxes creating a cylinder, and put a box at the bottom. And use that for the simulation and delete or hide when done with it.
That way you can use just a box shape for the calculation and it will be faster, though you may be sacrificing some precisness.

darthviper107
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Are your faces facing the right direction? If not then flip them or use a Shell modifier on the jar to give it some thickness.

kenchr
07-30-2007, 09:50 PM
The jar (actually more of a fish bowl) is made with a shell and faces are correct. has anyone seen a tutorial on something like this?

thanks for the feedback!

-k

Steve Green
07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I just tried it in Max 8, making the bowl a concave mesh and unyielding at it worked fine for me.

Cheers

Steve

kenchr
08-01-2007, 03:55 AM
You are right, I think there was something wrong with my earlier scene. I redid everything and it works now. thanks for the help!

-k

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2007, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.