PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Capturing HD video in PP from a still digital camera

evanfotis
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello all,
this is quite OT for AE, but it is the "closest" subforum for my enquiry.
Is there a way using Premiere Pro II, to capture footage directly onto the HD, with a digital camera tethered to a laptop? (without having to write images in the flashcard, until buffer is full and then transfer)
A DSLR, will have 2 connection modes: data transfer, where the pc will recognize the camera as a drive, and the PTP one for capture control from the PC.
Will PP "recognize" the camera in order to capture?
Even if the camera is say 6MPX, can PP capture @1080?
If this works, could it be done with both a DSLR and even a Point and Shoot one?
TIA

Mylenium
07-30-2007, 05:50 PM
If this works, could it be done with both a DSLR and even a Point and Shoot one?

Nope. Most cameras are simply too slow to do the downconversion in realtime, even supposedly high-quality SLRs. Technically you'll have to have a special driver that acts as a Firewire- or HDMI-wrapper on top of the USB connection which most cameras also do not provide. If your camera has a native Firewire or HDMI interface you might get Premiere or OnLocation to do a live capture, but it still requires the camera to be set to the correct resolution or your driver has to support RAW feeds which are downscaled and converted on the computer, not inside the camera. Most certainly you still have to do some programming magic on your own or find the correct procedures with longwinded trial&error. All these requirements severely limit your options and beyond Nikon cameras I'm not even aware that manufacturers provide a full programmer documentation and interface to make use of such features.

Mylenium

evanfotis
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Mylenium, thanks for your prompt reply.
Since you mentioned Nikon, lets say I'll be using a D70 or D200. What kind of driver is the one you mentioned (HDMI/FW over USB) and where could I find it?
Also the sizes these cameras capture are for the D70: 3008 x 2000 [L], 2240 x 1448 [M], 1504 x 1000 [S]

and for the D200:
Large (3872 x 2592 pixels), Medium (2896 x 1944) and Small (1936 x 1296)
So basically only the S mode (1936 x 1296) in D200, which is closer to 1080 could be used?
TIA

berniebernie
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure what you are really looking for, but I have a D70 and use Nikon Camera Control Pro (I got it for 20euros but it's probably more new) and I can, via a USB cable, take photos from my laptop (you can change all the features that you could manually, minus the zoom).

I've created several timelapses thanks to it. At 3000x2000 I can take approx an image every 4 seconds if I remember correctly. (and it drops to a second and a half at lowest res)

Mylenium
07-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Mylenium, thanks for your prompt reply.
Since you mentioned Nikon, lets say I'll be using a D70 or D200. What kind of driver is the one you mentioned (HDMI/FW over USB) and where could I find it?

Beyond the normal desktop drivers mlkdesign mentioned, I have no idea whether someone even attempted to create a live video driver that can be used in Premiere. I was merely pondering on the theoretical possibilities based on the info I have. Apologies for misleading you. Basically what you want to do is possible, but I wanted to point out that it's going to take a lot more than plugging the cam to your computer. Perhaps there is some experimental stuff in the Nikon SDK and API docs or sopme other studio already has created their own custom tools, but I doubt there is something that is declared officially fit for production use (by everyone).

As for the resolutions - if the camera doesn't provide a native "correct" resolution, you only option is reading the RAW data stream anyways. In that case ultimately it wouldn't matter which one the camera is set to as you would decide where to crop the pixels you don't need from the RAW stream. If you read the flattened bitmap streams, you of course set it to the next closest res and crop the stuff via the program/ driver.

Regardless of all the other hurdles to overcome I think your biggest problem are going to be data rates. Your camera will most likely produce a hiccup every few seconds or downright crash.

Anyway, if you have any success, let us know. we all could use an extra high-def camera "on the cheap" ;O)

Mylenium

evanfotis
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Basically what you want to do is possible, but I wanted to point out that it's going to take a lot more than plugging the cam to your computer.
...... I doubt there is something that is declared officially fit for production use (by everyone).
It is some "little" things like this that make me occassionally distressed. Logically something seems feasible, but...
All these "add on" hurdles to make us buy new gear..

...I think your biggest problem are going to be data rates. Your camera will most likely produce a hiccup every few seconds or downright crash.
It is a pitty that currently with the high MPX sensors, only a few makes and models support FW connection, whereas in the past it was more common..
After a FW feature search (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp)only the EOS 1D series, the revolutionary for its time Contax N digital, featuring a 6 pin FW (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/20011115/kc03.jpg), a few Kodaks and Fujifilm ones, but no Nikon..
I would have thought that nowadays instead of downgrading to USB2, manufacturers would have adopted FW800, able to transfer large data streams without frame dropping.
Anyway, if you have any success, let us know. we all could use an extra high-def camera "on the cheap" ;O)

Mylenium
With HD camcorders like the everio HD7, HV20 etc, nearing $1K, it seems that following mainstream products might be a cheaper solution than buiding a custom interface and drivers in order to use a DSLR for vid capturing..:)
It would be nice though, no?

@ mlkdesign:
I use Nikon capture 4 too.. It is nice for controlled enviroment shootings-too bad one can't preview the frame before it is shot (yet), although with a zigview S2 it is feasible.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.