PDA

View Full Version : Painter/ PS7 brightness & contrast problem

EricUNSL
03-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Hi, ok I just started using painter and am curious if anyone else has this problem. When I open PS files in painter 6 the image is about 2/3 shades darker than the same image when open in PS. The colors also look more saturated and have more contrast in painter. I'm not complaining, I like how it looks in painter, but I would like to edit things in PS and it looks like a different image ( lighter, less saturated, less contrast) in PS. It's hard to tell which program is showing the true color.

Does this happen to anyone else out there? Is there a way to adjust the two programs to get a image balance?

Any help is appreciated.

Eric.

qwatkins
03-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Color varies from machine to machine and program to program. You might try pinning your PS file to a specific "profile" that will "travel" with the file from program to program. In photoshop look in image/mode/assign profile...

VShane
04-05-2003, 07:04 AM
I have been working with Painter and P6/7 for about 2 years now and haven't found any real solution other than jsut really ignore it until the piece is done then make all your final adjustments that look good to you in Photoshop. Cause you know what, once it goed to print and gets into the hands of another graphics person, they are jsut gonna adjust it to thier equipment. So really its just a matter of it matching for you. when I bring a piece from Painter into P7 I immediatley reduce the Brightness -15% and increase the contrast +10%.

WK

EricUNSL
04-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I got the answer I was looking for and it worked perfectly. This is what sandman over at conceptart.org wrote:

In Photoshop 7, in the edit menu>color setting>'working spaces' section, try setting the RGB to 'monitor RGB'. If you have your image open in Painter and Photoshop at the same time, you can visually compare the changes as different RGB colour spaces are selected in Photoshop. If I remember correctly, there was also a colour shift problem between the two applications in at least one of the Photoshop RGB colour spaces.

In Painter 6.1, Canvas menu>output preview>Kodak colour correction, I have the monitor profile set to 'Generic P22 1.8 gamma monitor', but I'm not sure if this makes any difference.

Thank you for your help. Wacom_ Knight, you're right it will most likely be color corrected alot after it is sent off. For the time being though I like seeing the exact same image in both apps without any adjusting.:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.