PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Seating Array question

Kwago
03-27-2003, 09:54 AM
im modeling the kodak theatre (http://www.kodaktheatre.com/information.asp) and i ran into a little problem. how the hell would i create an array so that my chairs are arranged stadium style where each row is slightly offset AND also in the shape of a semi circle?

BeeVee
03-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Do your array, then select each row and offset? There can't be that many rows of seats from looking at the Oscars... (this is where Kwago tells me it can seat ten thousand people...:rolleyes: )

B

Kwago
03-27-2003, 09:58 AM
i did a rail clone and tried copying it then off setting it, but chairs were overlapping eachother

Kwago
03-27-2003, 09:36 PM
:bump:

Lewis3D
03-27-2003, 11:11 PM
did you tryed with point clone (no need for array) ??

Kwago
03-28-2003, 02:17 AM
a friend of mine was sort of able to achieve the effect in max using the spacing tool...dunno if LW has anything like that

mohh
03-28-2003, 06:15 AM
Try doing it this way:
Use Rail Clone with uniform activated and Oriented off.
Then use the Clone tool to duplicate the row in the Z and Y axis.
Select every other row and use the move tool to off set the rows.
Here's how to do it (1.06MB file): Clone.swf (http://www.mohhs.com/lw/tuts/clone.swf)

mohh
03-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Note: I made it smaller because it was just too big and I added controls so that you can see the settings that I used.

JMarc
03-28-2003, 01:37 PM
If correcting the spacing after cloning is causing you trouble then start with two chairs - the second one, representing the second row of seats, should be offset by the correct amount with respect to the first. Now when you do your rail clone you end up with two finished rows ready to be cloned out to fill the stadium. Their seats should have maintained their properly offset positions but also follow the contours of the rail properly.

mohh
03-28-2003, 10:55 PM
To select my chairs, all I did is run the mouse across over each row that I wanted to select while holding the Shift key in polygon selection mode. As long as you select at least one poly on each chair you can then press the (]} key to select connected polys.

BeeVee
03-31-2003, 07:11 AM
You can do that with the middle mouse button without holding shift if you have a three-button mouse...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.