PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons 72M Weekend... (USA)

RobertoOrtiz
07-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Bigger Than Any Pixar Toon, Fox Boasts
The Simpsons Movieopened at No. 1 with a $71.8 million North American weekend, or more than double what the studio hoped.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/doh-simpsons-pic-far-exceeding-predictions/

Szos
07-30-2007, 01:49 AM
I am pissed that I haven't seen it yet, but I actually am shocked that it didn't make MORE money. I think some of these execs don't realize what a MASSIVE cultural phenomenon The Simpsons are... not just on TV, not just in the US, but world-wide, spanning young and old alike. The Transformers might be a fantastic toy of our youth, but the Simpsons are still going on.

RobW720
07-30-2007, 03:04 AM
gotta agree, i thought it would make more.

It was a fun movie, im sure it will still rake in in for weeks to come

BigPixolin
07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm amazed it made that much.

They really struck while the iron was hot on this one.

septopus
07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
i dont think its being advertised as strongly as other summer blockbusters were the past few months.

i think they really didnt want to take a chance, because maybe they thought it would flop.

mech7
07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
and they prolly spend 80 on advertising... god i dont even know how much time those ads are on tv :s

guitarmunkee
07-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I really enjoyed the movie, I'm glad it didn't flop. I didn't really think it would make that much to be honest, because people have been waiting for a long time for this movie to come out, I would have thought that nobody would have really cared for a Simpsons movie. But the numbers proved me wrong.

Venkman
07-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Anyone know how much they spent on marketing the thing? it was EVERYWHERE. burger king, newspapers, tv commercials ...

I know 300 had a pretty big marketing blitz behind it.

Layer01
07-31-2007, 03:56 AM
I though the movie was luke warm at best. Jokes were very simplistic for the most part, and entirely forgetable.
And while i didnt go to see the movie for its plot..I was annoyed that it was so lazy and half arsed, it was insulting.
Cartoon TV shows can make the transition to the big screen and be great, southpark proved that. This completely missed the mark imo.

PyRoT
08-01-2007, 12:43 AM
I though the movie was luke warm at best. Jokes were very simplistic for the most part, and entirely forgetable.
And while i didnt go to see the movie for its plot..I was annoyed that it was so lazy and half arsed, it was insulting.
Cartoon TV shows can make the transition to the big screen and be great, southpark proved that. This completely missed the mark imo.

Agreed. After all those years, you'd think they could come up with something better. Some things just seemed way too ridiculous like the bomb robot and general physics of various scenes. And yeah, Southpark owned. It's my favorite movie.

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2007, 12:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.