PDA

View Full Version : 8.5, 9.5 or 10.0?

Manta
03-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Which version is better and more stable?

Regards.

My Fault
03-27-2003, 08:31 AM
8.5 and 10 are both real solid. 9.5 alas isn't quite up to task. IMHO that is.

10.5 is solid for an alpha, but I wouldn't do anything too important in it quite yet.

Manta
03-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Aha.
But, how many improvements has v10 over v8.5?

eboy
03-27-2003, 11:45 AM
It would be interesting find out
if any significant work has been produced
by users in 9.0 > 10.5, from what i've seen
all the well known stuff like "Alien song",
"Killer Beans" and rafs Dennis the dog was
done in 8.5 or prior. Productivity seems to have
gone down hill from then on, anyone care to
prove me wrong?:annoyed:

alfiebabes
03-27-2003, 12:40 PM
That's a difficult question as AM's stability depended upon how much you knew it's way of working.

I personally found 9.5 and 10 very problematic as I didn't have the information in a manual to refer to for the new features. Maybe I'm stupid that way but I like to have a set of instuctions to refer to before trying anything (maybe a mindset from my background working with dangerous production machinery and tools) and then if I used a feature wrongly I had a crash. It began to happen too regularly and so felt tremendously let down.

I would agree with eboys statements about output - a whole lot of other people seem to be just trying to figure out the software as I rarely saw any new animations posted during 9 - 10.

On the other side, I saw that the screen refresh and previews where much faster in the later versions. I have though uninstalled back to 8.5 for my own reasons above.

modernhorse
03-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Well I'm using version 8.0 and have been seriously considering upgrading thinking that i'm way out of the loop feature-wise. But I think I'm hearing that is not necessarily the case?

Am I missing out on anything?

btw -- I have an *old* version of LW (version 5.5) and was gonna upgrade that but a new baby, and other things came along. I was thinking that an upgrade to A:M might be a better option.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I hate wasting money. Thanks.

Bugle
03-27-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm interested too, working on 8.0 and it is rock stable (Of course I know it's little foibles)

I've been tempted to upgrade but I don't think I will until the sounds I hear from this board begin to take on a distinctly orgasmic quality :)

I'm interested in the 360 smartskins, the .x export and the dfx prop import, also intrigued by a few things like spriticles.

There are some bugs I wouldn't mind getting rid of too... do toon renders still show mesh lines sometimes? Does the "render as lines" option still produce funky results? Do toon lines reflect in mirrors?

On the other hand I'm afraid of losing features I like which hash sometimes seems to take out for no good reason (Outer line thickness for toon renders, the media player) and more importantly, of losing accumulated work if I cannot move my models and actions to the new version seamlessly.

PJC
03-28-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Bugle
and more importantly, of losing accumulated work if I cannot move my models and actions to the new version seamlessly.

In my time with 3D software, anytime you go to a new version, especially when you skip a release, there is going to be some rework. PowerANimator and Maya were notorious in changing how they handled Bump maps, and I had to update my model rigging in Cinema 4D just not that long ago to get working good in v8. I could be wrong, but I think it's just a fact of life for 3D software.

With that said, I would go with v10. As an old 8.5 user, I have no hesitation saying that v10 is a step up.

- pjc

koon69
03-28-2003, 07:08 PM
8.5 was prob one of the best releases. Actually 8.5p++ was! :> But I remember that with v9 Martib re-wrote AM from the ground up. Like Newtek re-doing LW from 5.6 to 6. V6 and v9 were kinda crappy. But things are falling into place. v10 really is nice. 10.5 is in alpha but is looking good to.

My Fault
03-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah, 8.5p++ is still my favorite but v10 is starting to grow on me (10.5 even more so). I think Hash has been very receptive towards feature ideas and this should benefit all of us in the future.

I'm really intrigued by talk from the Anzovin camp. Supposedly they have some new tools in the works, but I have no idea what they are. Perhaps all the time Hash has spent fleshing out the SDK is going to start bearing some damn tasty fruit :)

Manta
03-28-2003, 11:22 PM
But, what version is Martin selling at present? 10 or 10.5?

My Fault
03-28-2003, 11:26 PM
v10. 10.5 is the alpha of the next version

Manta
03-30-2003, 11:46 AM
When v10.5 will be released?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.