PDA

View Full Version : Which of these rigging methods is better and why?

JustKeepDrawing
07-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Which of these rigging methods is better and why?

This is for leg,but the same goes for the wrist/fingers relationship ...

This is non-software specific question by the way ...

EricDLegare
07-29-2007, 03:58 PM
EDIT : It seems like I misunderstood the question :D

scroll-lock
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
well...it`s just different setups. There is no right and wrong in both cases, it`s where you need the one and the second. The main difference I see is that in the first picture /with the loc/ you have the possibility to orient constraint the locator /the parent of the toes/ to both the foot and something else, so you can change the orientation. Or you can have SDK on the locator for different stuff... I personally more often use the first setup because you simply have more control...But I just can`t tell it`s better.

twedzel
07-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Neither is any good. They both ignore the metatarsals and therefor limit the amount of motion the foot will be capable of. Same principal would apply to a setup of a hand.

JustKeepDrawing
07-31-2007, 03:24 PM
So what do you sugest if none of those are good?

eek
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Neither is any good. They both ignore the metatarsals and therefor limit the amount of motion the foot will be capable of. Same principal would apply to a setup of a hand.

Only i you want to do highly realistic deformation.

What exactly are you trying to do??

twedzel
07-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Not just for highly realistic deformations. Curl your fingers into a fist. See how much your pinky knuckle can translate to give that beautiful arc of the knuckles and fingers. Without the metacarpals you have classsic wooden bad CG stiff strait hands. Just look at so many classical animation depictions of hands and the arcs that flow through them. If anything these sweeping knuckles get accentuated in cartoony work rather than dialed back or are shamefully missing all together.

How to approach it is very easy. Add in another set of joints closer to the wirst for each finger. Just like a skeleton, your fingers don't start at the knuckle. Basically look at where your metacarpal pivots from and there is the base joint for your finger. You can throw in an Ik handle connected to a finger controler for easy control. Or you can drive it automatically if you prefer setting up hand poses and attributes.

It is subtle, but sorely missing if you don't put it in. It'll add a world of wonderful deformations to your animators and so easily. Same goes for your feet. Put those metatarsals in and all of the sudden you'll be able to stick your toes on the ground when your pivoting on the balls of your feet, with cool deformations and all. That is what the metatarsals are there for. Very usefull for cartoony poses and essential in posing reality based meshes. Absolutely essential for quadrapeds. Form follows function, which applies no matter how realistic your deformations will be.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2007, 11:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.