PDA

View Full Version : CPU Heat Feedback Loop Possible?

singularity2006
03-27-2003, 04:26 AM
Okay, so my CPU is prone to overheating... on idle the contact die temp is 60*C and the cpu avg. temp is like 50*C. Anyhow, I remember when I first installed everything, I got it as low as 50*C and 40*C. Recently, I got PO'd and drenched the AMD Athlon XP die (the lil small one) with the remainder of my Article Silver 3. This was enough to cover the die and create a small hill of Arctic Silver 3 all over the cpu and around the die itself. It didn't seem to work well. My temp is going up. Is it possible that I just created a feedback loop with all that excess Artic Silver that is sending heat directly back into the CPU and not the heat sink? Note, my heat sink is the Vantec Aerofan that has a copper core and aluminum shell. The excess artic silver is puddled under the aluminum portion while the die fits right under the copper core of the heat sink.

IDeas?

Carnifex
03-27-2003, 04:53 AM
I would strongly recommend you read the instructions for applying Arctic Silver 3 that are available on their website. It is imperative that you do not apply too thick a layer of thermal compound as it will only serve to hinder your cooling efforts.
Here's a bit of linkage for you.

Arctic Silver instructions (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm)

Good luck

singularity2006
03-27-2003, 06:14 AM
lol sweet jesus... hahaha. I PUT A LOT. (I put 4 pea sized amounts) =D I think after tomorrow's last final and I start rebuilding my friend's computer and my other friend's laptops, I'll clean mine up too.

Sieb
03-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Yes, a paper thin amount of AS is all you need, enough to give it an even coat on both the core and the base of the HSF. This way the AS fills in the micro cracks in the surfaces and makes a more even surface to transfer the heat. Too much and the AS is useless. Might as well use white thermal greese, bleh... Not to mention AS is 12 bucks a tube (which lasts ALONG TIME might I add, hehe)..

But AS can only get you maybe 2C better. I prefer solid copper based HSFs (ThermalRight SLK900, Swiftech 462 series). NOTHING beats copper, except maybe gold or titanium or something..

I would look into making better airflow in your case to carry away that heat around the proc. If too much heat gets stagnant right there, your spiffy HSF is useless. Try to get a nice S curve flow. Antec 1080s cases are the best I have ever used so far (aside from all alum Coolermasters, and the Shuttle ICECooler). Dual intake fans and dual exhaust fans and a good fan on the HSF.

Or watercool... hehe

One other note, I also prefer NOT to plug the HSF fan into the mobo fan header. Otherwise it will just keep throtteling the fan speed whenever you click on something. It gets annoying, and doesnt make for consistant head dissapation. So I just plug it straight into the 5V or 12V rail somewhere using a 3->4 pin tail.

singularity2006
03-27-2003, 07:12 AM
thanks for the tip... hahahha. Actually, it is using a copper base. Here's a link to my HSF:

http://www.vantecusa.com/afc450.html

Anyhow, it uses a copper core while the rest of it is surrounded in an aluminum shell... the fan is nice because it uses magnets to spin it. There is no actual motor in the center, just a very thin axel to allow air flow directly onto the center copper core. When I first installed it, I got my CPU die temp down to 50*C from my original 60*C. it is now back to 60*C thanks to my overloading of Arctic Silver. =D

GregHess
03-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Quick Notes on AS:

1) Read instructions. (As the E man pointed out)
2) Wear latex gloves..(throwaway kind). This serves two purposes.
a) Prevents you from getting oil, cells, random crap in with the AS when you apply it.
b) Prevents you from getting AS ingrained in your skin. (Takes forever to wash out).

3) If you choose the glove method, you can apply it with your finger...but you'll have to smooth it out later with some sort of flat surface. There are a variety of methods to apply it, including the q-tip method (which is probably the best).

4) The objection of thermal paste is to fill in any microscopic holes between the heatsink and the cpu die, forming a 100% flat surface for the two to contact. If the cpu and heatsink were already 100% flat, technically you wouldn't need thermal grease period. This of course means that you need AS LITTLE PASTE AS POSSIBLE between the two mediums. I usually use the method of adding just enough paste so I can no longer read the die #'s on the athlon/p4.

Anyway, there are great instructions on the page...less is more sometimes :).

singularity2006
03-27-2003, 05:18 PM
hahha, yes obviously!! I ended up insulating my core with all that AS causing my temp to rocket up 10*C. =D I'll redo it tonight after my last final... yay!

raz-0
03-27-2003, 06:04 PM
greg, just of note, if you DO need to get AS off your flesh, try fast orange or gojo orange (both flavors with pumice). It helps speed up the process.

singularity2006
03-27-2003, 08:00 PM
hey, that stuff isn't toxic is it?? for your skin I mean? And while it heats up under the the heat sink as u use it, how does it decompose? I notice that over time, it does go dry.... are the fumes it produces hazardous?

Sieb
03-27-2003, 09:18 PM
No, not toxic, just annoying because it has a habit of ending up on everything. I had some on a rag once and it ended up all over my hands, pants, and the rest of my office just from one touch.. haha

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.