PDA

View Full Version : New Workstation

chriswilson
07-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi. Im about to build a new workstation and thought I'd run the specs by you guys and see if anybody had any suggestions or spotted any compatibility issues.

Antec Sonata III Case w/ 500W PS
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
4GB OCZ PC6400 DDR2 (2x2GB)
Western Digital Raptor 10Krpm 150GB SATA HD
Seagate 7200.10 500GB SATA HD
XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB Video Card
Samsung 18x SATA DVD writer
new Logitech Wave Keyboard
Razer Copperhead Mouse
2x Acer AL2051W 20" Widescreen Monitors
Dual Booting WinXP Pro x64 and Linux (probably Ubuntu/KDE or CentOS/KDE)

Main Programs I'll be running: Maya, Houdini, Shake, Nuke, ZBrush, Photoshop, Boujou

Questions/Concerns:
1) I'm planning on installing the Operating Systems and all my programs etc. on the 10,000rpm Raptor and all my data, media, etc. on the big 7200 drive. Does the 10K Raptor sound like a good idea, or would it make more sense to run two 7200 drives in a RAID 0?

2) Does the video card I listed seem like a good choice? I'm trying to avoid as many driver issues as possible and it seems like the geforce 8 series isn't doing so well with maya. I'm not a gamer so I really don't care too much about DX10 right now and I dont really want to pay for a quadro. I just want to get good, stable performance in the viewports in maya.

3) Has anyone had any experience with the Acer monitor I listed or Acer monitors in general? It has an 8-bit P-MVA panel and seems like a pretty good deal.

4) I mostly just want Linux so that I can run Shake and for some pretty basic shell scripting, etc. Any suggestions for a good distro? I've used ubuntu and centOS and they both seem fine, but im open for suggestions.

skidu
07-29-2007, 12:09 PM
I'd personally go for 2x Dell 2007wfp monitors instead, here in the uk they both cost around the same price. Expect the dell has a higher quality s-ips panel and a pivot function which could be useful.

chriswilson
07-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Those dell monitors are double the cost of the acer here ($400 vs $200) and lately, it seems that dell has been using TN panels in several of their monitors that used to use S-IPS.

skidu
07-29-2007, 09:11 PM
it seems that dell has been using TN panels in several of their monitors that used to use S-IPS.

You sure about that? I know that from revision 1-3 of the 2007wfp they used ship both S-IPS and S-PVA panels but never TN. The latest models REV A04 are all S-IPS panels.

lots
07-30-2007, 01:08 PM
1) I'd keep the 10k Raptor as OS and programs drive with a very large storage drive for everything else. Personally I don't know how much you'll notice though... Most modern SATA II 7200 RPM drives can compete on most levels with a Raptor. Though the Raptor does have advantages in seek times... A non Raptor drive will give you a much better $/GB ratio.

2) That is a good choice in video card. However you should think of the future some. Eventually the Geforce 8 will have all its issues worked out, mostly. When that happens, it will be the better of the two cards to own. But, nothing prevents you from upgrading, or whatever, at that point.. Perhaps Geforce 8's successor will have better drivers.

3) I havn't

4) Personally, I dislike most of the popular distros. Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu. They all do something that annoys me to no end :P Fedora and CentOS are redhat based, which leaves a bad taste in the mouth, Ubuntu tries to be "easy" and thus hides everything useful.. Personally, going for a straight up Debian install is preferable to Ubuntu. I use Gentoo on a day to day basis. One of my biggest reasons for using Gentoo is that it is a version-less system. Which means I don't have to go through some lengthy or complex process to go from version A to version B (Like you do with all the other listed distros..).

I realize Ubuntu is based on Debian, but I much prefer Debian over Ubuntu, as you get more say in your system.. All the distros out there though, have quirks.. I guess you just pick the one that works best for you :)

Recently I've been poking around Arch Linux. Which is like Gentoo, but binary based instead of source. Its pretty nice so far.

CConcepts
07-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Are the 10k RPM Drives really better? I would assume that they run hotter and louder while consuming more power. Could a recent system use the advantages of them?

davegraham
07-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi. Im about to build a new workstation and thought I'd run the specs by you guys and see if anybody had any suggestions or spotted any compatibility issues.

Antec Sonata III Case w/ 500W PS

good case. I use the gen II for what little I can these days. I typically swap the PSU for something a bit more reliable (currently PC Power and cooling 610EPS)

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Motherboard

if you don't need fluff, get the Intel DP35DP instead. specs here (http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP35DP/index.htm).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
4GB OCZ PC6400 DDR2 (2x2GB)

if you're not OC'ing, grab value ram from Kingston. Same stuff, runs just as good, lifetime warranty.

Western Digital Raptor 10Krpm 150GB SATA HD
Seagate 7200.10 500GB SATA HD

ditch the Raptor for a Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB single platter 16mb drive.

XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB Video Card

whew that's old. any particular reason for this?

Samsung 18x SATA DVD writer
new Logitech Wave Keyboard
Razer Copperhead Mouse
2x Acer AL2051W 20" Widescreen Monitors
Dual Booting WinXP Pro x64 and Linux (probably Ubuntu/KDE or CentOS/KDE)

enjoy.

Questions/Concerns:
1) I'm planning on installing the Operating Systems and all my programs etc. on the 10,000rpm Raptor and all my data, media, etc. on the big 7200 drive. Does the 10K Raptor sound like a good idea, or would it make more sense to run two 7200 drives in a RAID 0?

RAID 0 is playing with fire. honestly, you're not going to get THAT much of a speedup. unless you like handloading OSs, programs, etc. stick with a single drive, image it and run from there. I'd recommend Acronis Workstation 9.1. for those duties.

2) Does the video card I listed seem like a good choice? I'm trying to avoid as many driver issues as possible and it seems like the geforce 8 series isn't doing so well with maya. I'm not a gamer so I really don't care too much about DX10 right now and I dont really want to pay for a quadro. I just want to get good, stable performance in the viewports in maya.

the issue is more of, "Will nVidia continue to optimize/develop 7xxx series drivers when the 8xxx uses their planned architecture for future cards?" i see 8000 series cards as having more potential for optimization down the road than the 7000 series. that's me.

3) Has anyone had any experience with the Acer monitor I listed or Acer monitors in general? It has an 8-bit P-MVA panel and seems like a pretty good deal.

i use one of their 20" widescreens. needs to be calibrated (imho) but otherwise, a very good monitor.

4) I mostly just want Linux so that I can run Shake and for some pretty basic shell scripting, etc. Any suggestions for a good distro? I've used ubuntu and centOS and they both seem fine, but im open for suggestions.

get VMWare workstation and run the disty in there.

cheers,

Dave

davegraham
07-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Are the 10k RPM Drives really better? I would assume that they run hotter and louder while consuming more power. Could a recent system use the advantages of them?

they're definitely hotter and can be louder (i've heard some very loud 7200rpm drives, though).

dave

CConcepts
08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I just use the 7200 Drives. It's just my taste, but they are pretty silent depending on the brand and all cold. Seagate (Barracuda) is a bit louder than a Maxtor or a Hitachi.
I heard that some brands tend to cause more problems than others so what are your experiences?

hominid
08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
I have a Western Digital Raptor 10Krpm 150GB HD and its much quieter than I expected. I'm very happy with it.

And make sure to spend a few extra bucks on a top quality power supply.

Looks like it will be a nice system.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.