PDA

View Full Version : Using the alpha channel as a selection layer?

Eudaimic
03-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Hey,

Is it possible to transfer an alpha channel to a selection? So that, say I have a black image with white text on it, I would transfer that to the selection layer and thus be able to cut all the black away very precisely?

Corn Dog
03-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Uh ya

You have text on an alpha channel. The letters being white and the rest black.

Using the magic wand you would select all the white to create you selection. To use magic wand holding shift and left click in the white areas. Shift lets you add multiple enclosed areas to the same selection.

Then switch layers and delete, or inverse selection and delete, which ever applies to your needs.

qwatkins
03-27-2003, 12:22 AM
If you want the alpha channel to become your selection simply bring up the Channels palette and "Ctrl + click" the alpha layer and it will select the contents of that layer (i.e. if you had an anti-aliased circle in white on the alpha it would perfectly select it as well as the anti-aliased edge, etc.) this also works for any other layer in Photoshop; "Ctrl + clicking" selects the contents of that layer. If you want the inverse of that simply invert the selection. If you want to modify that layer simply activate it an use any of the paint, text, or editing tools to acheive the desired result.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.