PDA

View Full Version : Texture flickering

Selim
03-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Hello,

I have an ugly texture flickering in animation - i had to lower the filtering value - i need sharp texture - and here's the problem - really strange flickering noise :(

Have you any ideas? What to do to have sharp textures, without any flickering noise...?

Thanks, Selim

lazzhar
10-23-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm getting this kind of flickering these days, and I had to crank up the sampling to 1:3 to get rid of that.I have a sharp texture too with writing and logos..etc
Any idea guys how to beat that ? beause using a high sampling (I meant in Mental Ray) will slow down the rendering.

PS: I know it's a an old dead thread :applause:

skillet
10-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Instead of high sampling
you should try to use low sampling, and increase the output image's size

it may sound crazy but this is what i did in HandSolo to get rid of the flicker on the keyboard, just have your post compositer (in my case AE) resize it for you run a couple of tests to see if the image look is close

With oversampling I was getting about 33 min per frame on a peticular layer
by lowering the sampling and increasing the size doubling i was getting 3-5 min per frame

there was no noticeable difference in my case (I was doing basic raytracing, no fg,gi)

try it out see if it works for you
this technique save me a LOT of time

lazzhar
10-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Wehrmeister thanks
It sounds worth to try. I tryed many tricks but in vain including lowering the size of the textures and tweaking the filters availble in Maya file node. My rendering times didnt reach the 30 min or something, but a simple object alone in a dark backround with no raytracing or other slow things shouldnt render in more than few seconds, or lets say minutes wich it's not the case when we use a high sampling.
I'm using a sampling min/max of 0/2 in normal renderings so what do you suggest to use if I want to try your idea ?

skillet
10-28-2004, 06:54 AM
0 : 2 is good
the basic production setup in MR globals

it's when you raise it to 0:3 or even 2:4 to get rid of te flicker the render times become massive

so what I did was to leave it at those settings 0 2
and just multiply the image size until the flicker went away

I would normally only do it to the problem layers
In my case the key board
didn't have any issues with the characters so I left them
and rendered them in a seperate pass
this may or may not be neccesary for you

I would then take the double and or triple sized images
and crop them in photoshop with an action script I made then batch the whole folder

I did this so After Effects wouldn't have to and I wouldn't have as long of render time in AE

here is a short vid that breaks up the layers

http://www.heartwehrm.com/HS_layer.avi

rollmops
10-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Wehrmeister thanks
It sounds worth to try.
Idem!

Other solution: Make the the oversampling more "contrast-sensitive" by lowering the RGB contrast threshold. But You don't need to go under 0.05 if you don't want to explode the rendering time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.