PDA

View Full Version : scaling joint question

szaharakis
07-26-2007, 05:04 AM
I have 2 joints, hip_A and knee_A. Both are scale constrained in X to their exact copy hip_B and knee_B.

Now if I scale hip_B in X, both hip_A and knee_A obtain scale values. Why is the knee inheriting scale from the hip. It should not... This is a pretty simple setup, and I'm not understanding whats going on.

scroll-lock
07-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I didn`t quite understand what`s going on but there is a "Segment Scale Compensate" checkbox on the attr editor of a bone that you wanna try turn on or off...

ErikSvensson
07-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Thats an issue someone else here had as well. We tried to figure out what was wrong, but I dont think we ever did that. If you use the scale constrain on bones, it seems to scale in the hiearchy, even if you just scale one axis. Either its a maya bug, feature or something that is wrong. It doesnt do the same thing when you used parented objects to each other, just bones.

Erik

szaharakis
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I didn`t quite understand what`s going on but there is a "Segment Scale Compensate" checkbox on the attr editor of a bone that you wanna try turn on or off...

Turning on Segment Scale Compensate stops a joint from inheriting scale from its hierarchy. By default it's on. So apparently, this doesn't seem to be doing it's job when a Scale Constraint is applied to a joint.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or intended feature. I would think bug, considering you would want to use a Scale Constraint so that the object you are Constraining only gets values from one source.

ErikSvensson
07-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I'd say its a bug, i dont think anyone want that to happen really. I look into it if i find time for it and get back to you.

Erik

solution1:
This might not be what you want, but you can get the scale to work with the connection editor, just bind each joint with the connection editor and scale on both, it works. but you might want to turn it on and off, then it wont work.

Solution2:
Make each bone separate, let them lay close to each other, then use parent constrain down the hiearchy instead of P. then do the same for the scaling chain, add the scale constrain and it will work. At least until you mix in more controllers and stuff for the bones, then it will require some extra work. Try it out if you want, its not the best solution, but it works.

viky4animation
07-28-2007, 07:23 AM
hi .. this is very simple!!

by default parent joint scale is connected to the child joint's inverse scale
some time this connection breaks so you can do two things
a) unparent and parent again the joints
b) manually connect the scale to inverse scale of child in connection editor

:)
cee how easy

chill

szaharakis
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
hi .. this is very simple!!

by default parent joint scale is connected to the child joint's inverse scale
some time this connection breaks so you can do two things
a) unparent and parent again the joints
b) manually connect the scale to inverse scale of child in connection editor

:)
cee how easy

chill

Hi viky, thanks but I don't want the scales connected. Actually they shouldn't be connected from what I understand and that is the problem.

I don't think the above suggestions will work for the setup I am doing, but thanks everyone.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.