PDA

View Full Version : question about FSB.

Peace455
03-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Hello All

I am currently upgraded my computer after being on a PIII 1 Ghz for sooo long. everything is soo slow, unreal isn't the way its suppost be . . .. anyway

I'm upgrading to a P4 2.4 w 533FSB
Geforce Ti 4800 and more nice harware to make me cry.

I was thinking how fast everything was going to run when I get all the part and build this beauty, when I got my processor in the main and I thoguht . . . what is FSB ( Front Side Bus) I know that it used to just be system bus ( I think) but I don't know what Front side Bus actually is and how it will speed up my system

Can anyone explain to me what front side bus is and what it actually does?

thanks for very much, I',m trying to expand my computer knowdge and know more in general.

Peace455:thumbsup:

elvis
03-26-2003, 09:42 PM
your system bus is the main data path that data travels along to get from one bit of the system to another (eg: PCI bus along to system ram, etc).

your processor speed is measured by the front side bus (FSB) speed multiplied by a multiplier.

using that as a basis, the faster your front side bus and the lower your multiplier, the better performance you'll get at the same clockspeed.

many overclockers will overclock their FSB long before they try anything else, as generally speaking you'll get a much bigger boost from this than you will raw clockspeed (ie: upping the multiplier).

P4's use a system called "quad pumping" to basically multiply their front side bus by four. they actually use 100 and 133 FSBes, which are quad pumped to 400 and 533 internally.

intel will be bringing out their 800MHz FSB chips soon (200MHz FSB), and AMD around the same time are expected to release their 400MHz chips (200MHz DDR). currently AMD is slightly ahead with their 333MHz FSB chips (166MHz DDR), but everyone will be on par come september when it's upped again to 200MHz.

amygdalae
03-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Peace455
Hello All

I am currently upgraded my computer after being on a PIII 1 Ghz for sooo long. everything is soo slow, unreal isn't the way its suppost be . . .. anyway

I'm upgrading to a P4 2.4 w 533FSB
Geforce Ti 4800 and more nice harware to make me cry.

I was thinking how fast everything was going to run when I get all the part and build this beauty, when I got my processor in the main and I thoguht . . . what is FSB ( Front Side Bus) I know that it used to just be system bus ( I think) but I don't know what Front side Bus actually is and how it will speed up my system

Can anyone explain to me what front side bus is and what it actually does?

thanks for very much, I',m trying to expand my computer knowdge and know more in general.

Peace455:thumbsup:

Well, if you're on win2k or winxp, my guess is you didnt install the AGP drivers for your motherboard. If you have an intel chipset motherboard you can download the agp chipset driver from intel's website or from your motherboard manufacturers. Then you need to make sure you have AGP sideband addressing, AGP4x or 8x enabled and fastwrite (if you like it) in the BIOS.

Then if you feel like going the extra mile, You can try doing a search on 'Google' for Powerstrip video utility.

Download it, make sure that windows is recognizing your AGP, sideband addressing, and DMA settings, if not - enable them, reboot and watch your games suddenly be fast...

Probably just an agp configuration thing or lack of chipset driver...

Peace455
03-29-2003, 05:14 PM
thanks for the informative reply:

so elvis: if I understand your explaination correctly the FSB basically read your processor speed and multiply it by what ever the multiplier is and then sends it off to where ever.

So the Faster the FSB is, then the faster the processor will be able to calcualte ( after being multiplied ).

amygdalae:

Ohh you must be refering to how slow I was talking Unreal was running on my PIII, it wasn't that slow, I'm being dramatic, because I would play it at school on 2.4 with a Quatro Card, and its soo smooth, my PIII is still pretty smooth but not as smooth, and textures don't look as good, plus my video card in the PIII sucks anyway. but thanks for the tip with the AGP, my AGP port is setup and running pretty speed but I look into what you were talking about and see if I can get it quicker. If not then I'm not to worried cause my Geforce Ti4800 just came in the mail today.:bounce:

thanks again guys

Peace455

Pablo3d
03-30-2003, 11:03 PM
anandtech.com has a new article (http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1806) up on 800 MHz FSB. Very educational.

Peace455
03-30-2003, 11:46 PM
wow that was very informative.

thanks for the link. I'm going to check out that site very frequently to stay up to date.

thanks again.

elvis
03-31-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Peace455
thanks for the informative reply:

so elvis: if I understand your explaination correctly the FSB basically read your processor speed and multiply it by what ever the multiplier is and then sends it off to where ever.

So the Faster the FSB is, then the faster the processor will be able to calcualte ( after being multiplied ).

pretty much. multiplier*FSB=cpu speed. in the case of intel and AMD chips, the FSB is the "raw" FSB before marketdroids get their hands on it and turn it into "quad pumped" or "DDR" terms.

anandtech and ars technica are two very good sites that give a great mix of reviews and technical briefs on how things work, while still not going over the head of your average layman with geek-speak. i recommend reading them both regularly if you want to stay up with all of the tech-talk.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.