PDA

View Full Version : Would someone help a girl out?? LOCKED INFLUENCE PROBLEM

behinddoortwo
07-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Hello, thank you for reading this... I am currently painting weights on my character (In Maya 6.5) And when I paint a certain area it says

"SPECIFIED WEIGHT COULD NOT BE SET DUE TO LOCKED INFLUENCES"

Does anyone know how to "unlock these influences"...

Thanks again...

Nightviper
07-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Wow, how does your gender come into this...?

Anyway, I've never used 6.5, I've only ever used 8.5. But they can't be too far off, so I guess you should just open the tool options window for your paint smooth skin weights tool and then look at the joints around the one you are painting. Some of them probably have "HOLD" next to them. There should be a button nearby that says something like "Toggle hold skin weights" or something.

If your joints (which are influences, by the way, but I am sure you knew that...) have their skin weights locked, then that means that they won't change, no matter what. And changing skin weights on any one joint will ALWAYS change skin weights on nearby joints -- since the sum of all influences of any one vertex is always 1.

I'm sorry if I was confusing, but this is my first time trying to explain to someone. And since I'm a total newb, I'm not even sure if I got that right, so please tell me if it doesn't work.

behinddoortwo
07-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply I will try it out and let you know!!

P.s. my gender has nothing to do with anything...Just askin' to help a gal out!!!

Thanks again.

viky4animation
07-28-2007, 08:18 AM
hey gal,
if u've applied some deformer like ffd over skinCluster, even then thngs get locked internally and u cant edit weights on skinCluster, in that case wht i do is to reapply the skin cluster and copy paste the previous weights

may be it helps you too
:)

behinddoortwo
07-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks Viky...

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2007, 11:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.