PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Nightmare

dragonfollower
07-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi,

I currently have two computers with XSI running on each. A new computer and an older one; and both have the same XSI
.scn files on both.

When I render on the older computer, the scenes render just fine.
However when I render on the new computer, the same exact scenes will at
some point, stop rendering, hang and become non-responsive, forcing me to
ctrl+alt+delete out of the program. Everytime. I've been trying to solve this problem since March or April.

New Computer Specs:

Intel Core 2 X6800 @2.93Ghz, 3.29Ghz
2 Gig RAM
Geforce 8800GTX Video Card
Windows XP Professional

Recently I discovered that it only seems to be hanging/crashing with scenes where there's SKELETAL ANIMATION. For example, I am currently trying to render a scene with a single animated character in it...

. The scene keeps crashing/hanging after rendering a frame or two.

. I delete the animation from all controls/bones...

. It renders without crashing.

Again I'll state, just to keep things clear...

. This crashing/hanging problem only happens on my new computer. All of the same scenes render without a problem on my old computer.

. The only scenes that I've EVER had render successfully on this machine had NO skeletal animation. That's the only thing I can see that was different about them. But why would that be a cause for crashing? Could it be a video card problem?

Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem? I'm really desperate to get this problem fixed as it's affecting my job performance. I'd really appreciate any help anyone would be willing to offer!

-Brian

Strang
07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
to get around the issue so you can finish your job, i would plot to shape, or use one of the point caching solutions available to you. (point oven or max compatible point cache op)

once your out of the woods, submit your scene to softimage support.

steven

dragonfollower
07-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a try. That actually helps a lot. I just wish I could figure out what's causing it to do this. Skeletal deformation seems like such a weird thing to cause a render to crash. Could it be related to the video card somehow?

-Brian

mikepan
07-26-2007, 01:09 AM
you could try turning off hardware acceleration on the 8800 by going to Display Property > Adanced > advanced, and drag the slider all the way to the left.

Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
07-26-2007, 01:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.