PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a liquid, any thoughts or advice?

DCress
07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I am trying to find out the best way to animate/rig a liquid in zero gravity or a liquid with in a liquid. I need to have as much control over it as possible.

I have experimented with bend shapes but this limits me to premade shapes, it would be better for me if I could animate the object/liquid more organically.

I have also experimented with nubese but have not had much successes so I am hoping some one can give me so ideas or advice on how they would go about achieving this effect/rig.

BoostAbuse
07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
What does the liquid need to do? Is it just floating in space? Will it contort itself? Does it flow back into itself? Those would be my biggest questions before looking at the setup.

If what you're looking for is just to animate a tube of water, I'd say a splineIK approach would probably be your best bet for fluidity of motion. Aside from that you might want to look into using a dynamic curve approach for handling the motion as well (this will give you a lot more control especially with your gravitational settings).

-s

DCress
08-03-2007, 09:18 AM
What does the liquid need to do? Is it just floating in space? Will it contort itself? Does it flow back into itself? Those would be my biggest questions before looking at the setup.

Thanks for the reply

The rig needs to be as flexible as posibble. It is going to be used in an abstract animation that will be animated to music so I would like to be able to animate the liquid as organcally as possible. I know I am not making it easy for myself but as I have mentioned, I would very much like the animation to be organic.

I am in the middle of moving house so I have not had time to try your suggestions but I will let you know how they go.

Thanks again

If anybody has any ideas they would be more than welcome.

refract
08-05-2007, 07:24 AM
http://3daliens.com/glu3D/index.htm

This is a good plugin, but for it to be as "organic" as you need, you may need to make snapshots of the mesh at the points you need, and render them out at what fps you need, to reverse, slow down, or speed up.
If you need to manipulate each drop at a particular frame, then snapshot the geometry at that frame, and do a hide/unhide. (Hide the water regular flow, composite out the ones you do not need... and add back the ones you do need to manipulate with what controllers you have added)
Hope that makes some sense.. its late...

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2007, 07:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.