PDA

View Full Version : The aiming arm setup

Chinwagon
07-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Here's an idea I came up with for a new limb setup technique.

The whole thing is based on the position of two objects, one to control the wrist position, the other the elbow.

Instead of an IK blend value to swap between two separate modes, both control objects have an attribute called "lock to control" which does just as it says. The idea is that an animator who perhaps would know almost nothing about CG could still use the setup intuitively.

This setup has various benefits over the standard IK/FK setup:

- Less UI clutter. Uses the same two controls for both IK and FK posing.
- Give the ability to easily pin the elbow to a surface.
- No rotation required so no gimbal lock.
- Easier to make an FK pose than rotating two controls.

The only potential hazard I can see is that the in-betweening will be slightly different when in FK. This is because it is based on the position of objects rather than the rotation. However, once you get used to using positions to dictate an FK arm animation, it becomes really simple and straightforward to use.

http://www.bradnoble.net/rigging/Aiming arm demo.mov (http://www.bradnoble.net/rigging/Aiming%20arm%20demo.mov)

I'm not 100% convinced that this should replace all standard IK/FK setups but everyone I've showed it to really likes the concept.
What do you reckon?

:)

scroll-lock
07-25-2007, 01:14 PM
It`s infact kinda cool! I wonder how it would be from animator`s point of view- for example making good arcs with the elbow..., but it seems really easy to control.

alec.tron
07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
What do you reckon?

Neato. You had some animators test it yet ?
First thing that comes to me mind after watching the demo is to give the scaling/stretchiness a separate attribute.... but hard to tell if it s necessary without playing around with it.
c.

tpalamar
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
I love it! Are you planning on posting the rigging method?

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.