PDA

View Full Version : Particles for Games

renaissance01
07-25-2007, 04:55 AM
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if there is any info out there about particle systems in games. Eg. Poly Counts, textures, exporting format etc. I was looking into making some particles for the roboblitz editor although i don't really know where to start. A point in the right direction would be muchly appreciated :)

Gamedev
07-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Start by opening up the Generic Browser. Right-click and select 'New Particle System'. Give it a name. Cascade (Unreal 3's particle editor) will open. In the empty black space on the right hand side, right-click and select 'New ParticleSpriteEmitter' and start messing around!

Generally you'll import alpha mapped textures for use in Cascade (2d particles). 3d particle are possible as well. You'll setup materials in the material editor for use in your particle systems. The idea is to add new nodes (New ParticleSpriteEmitter) to the particle effect and layer in objects or effects.

Good luck!

LaughingBun
07-25-2007, 07:46 AM
to my understanding most particle effects are all done with in-engine tools, aside from the textures.

Thonz
07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
The editor is called cascade, and here's some basics:
http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsue3cascade.htm

renaissance01
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me out. I shall give it a go and see what i can come up with :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.