PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Quadro 4 dual display

twilight
03-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi

I recently discovered that my nVidia Quadro 4 GLX 750 has two video outputs so I'm thinking of buying a second monitor.
I've tested it with an old monitor and it works fine. With the proper nView setting i can even set different resolutions for each monitor, which allows me to use my 22" at 1600x1200 and a second 15" at 1024x768.

My question is: does the dual display affects the card performance? Will it become slower?

Thanks in advance.

CgFX
03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by twilight

My question is: does the dual display affects the card performance? Will it become slower?

No, but yes. Or I should say yes, but no.

It does not necessarily get slower just because there is a second display. It is the increase in pixel count for a viewport that uses the extended desktop space that affects performance.

In other words, a 1600x1200 dual display setup (2x 800x1200) using nview span is the exact same performance as a single 1600x1200 display setup. Not a single ounce of difference.

When you use DualView mode (in order to support two different resolutions) there is little difference in performance as well (just a tad of extra layers). There is a difference when you enabled enhanced multi-monitor mode which allows you to have OpenGL acceleration on both displays and when a window crosses both displays. This requires copying some data around which gives a little performance hit. Again, this is only for DualView mode (which is what you are using).

Don't forget to enable "advanced multi-monitor support" in the OpenGL options area.

twilight
03-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks!
I think i'll buy that second monitor!!
:)

E.T
03-28-2003, 08:51 AM
ive got that card and dual monitors! Works like a charm, you wont regret it. in fact: youll wonder how you ever lived without it.

E.T:thumbsup:

twilight
03-29-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm already wondering!!!!

:)

I'm not so happy with the 15" lcd monitor though... i'd rather have a 19" crt.
oh well, i'll get used to it.

Thanks for the support

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.