PDA

View Full Version : CafeFX Launches Character Animation Division

RobertoOrtiz
07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Studio Daily is running an article about how the feature film visual effects facility CafeFX has opened a new character animation division

Check it out:
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/8322.html

unchikun
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
"The character animation pipeline will have Autodesk Maya at its core for animation and modeling, Softimage XSI for texturing and lighting, and Autodesk Mental Ray for rendering."

seems to be an odd workflow. Maybe it should be XSI for modeling/anim and Maya for texturing/rendering, makes more sense.

Strang
07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
seems to be an odd workflow. Maybe it should be XSI for modeling/anim and Maya for texturing/rendering, makes more sense.

there are many reasons to choose a software package. whatever works :)

JakeJK
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I agree with unchikun. straight out of the package maya has a really slow workflow for modelling.

great news tho! :)

FreakWizz
07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Considering CafeFX have often used Lightwave for Modeling, it would seem like a signifigant downgrade to use Maya as a Modeler.

Obviously for Animation XSI/Maya are great, still not convinced that MR is a good choice for rendering either.

blacknoise
07-27-2007, 09:34 AM
from both apps... would you prefer maya software? ;)
i bet they still use lw. i know some of their artists really do. like strang said, whatever works. if you got a renderfarm with i.e. 400 cpu power, does it really matter if a frame renders within 30 minutes or 1 hour? even if... you can always buy another 100 machines ;)
ilm uses mr on a big scale... does it mean they've made a bad choice? ;)

BillSpradlin
07-27-2007, 10:13 AM
from both apps... would you prefer maya software? ;)
i bet they still use lw. i know some of their artists really do. like strang said, whatever works. if you got a renderfarm with i.e. 400 cpu power, does it really matter if a frame renders within 30 minutes or 1 hour? even if... you can always buy another 100 machines ;)
ilm uses mr on a big scale... does it mean they've made a bad choice? ;)

Autodesk mental ray? Hmmm uhhh =)

And yea, it does matter if your frame renders in 30 minutes compared to an hour, that's a huge difference. It could mean getting two iterations out in the time it would take to do one.

JDex
07-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Autodesk mental ray? Hmmm uhhh =)

And yea, it does matter if your frame renders in 30 minutes compared to an hour, that's a huge difference. It could mean getting two iterations out in the time it would take to do one.

It may have something to do with that lovely Autodesk loophole - Unlimited MR rendering via backburner, at the cost of one seat of Max. I've certainly been exploring the idea myself.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2007, 10:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.