PDA

View Full Version : smoothing n-sided polygons

bukowskit
03-26-2003, 01:01 PM
Howdy, Ive just downloaded some guitar modeling tutorial video off simplylightwave.com and tried to follow it. They use Pen tool to trace outlines of guitar then they extrude it and press Tab key to turn it into subpatch mode. When I do the same thing top a bottom polygon (having much more than 4 vetrices) edges wont smooth and are overlapsing smoothed side polygones. I sure know LW cant smooth anything other than 4 sided polygon, but how the hell it works fine with them and not with me? How did they make those n-sided polygon edges appear smooth and not overlapsing? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any suggestion

evenflcw
03-26-2003, 02:37 PM
It probably looks ok from afar and in openGL, but the n-sided planes are probably still overlapping. Have a closer look and you'll see that the edges of the subpatched outer rim and the top and bottom planes don't match.

A simpler example of how it can look good in opengl. (this doesn't render nice btw):

nostromo_va
03-26-2003, 02:55 PM
I have been working a lot with sub-patches lately. My favorite trick when dealing with N-Sided polys (>4) is to use a bevel with a large inset, but no offset (hit N to get the numeric panel). This makes a relatively flat plane, and generaly gives better results than just tripling. I make the remaining N-sided poly so small that it does not affect the render (since it won't subpatch).

Good luck,
Mark

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.