PDA

View Full Version : disp map disp-values contrast ?

cache
07-24-2007, 01:05 PM
hi there !

i dont know what to do.

- i created a sphere in max with UVs
- imported into mudbox
- painted deforms onto it (but only outwards, so no polys/verts have gone towards the centre of the sphere!)
- exported the disp map

but as you can see, the dispmap has got dark areas, and where its darker than midgrey, the displaced verts go a bit backwards... which is a bug, or i dont know what.

i have tried several settings (for 1,5 hours!), but nothing helped.
can you tell me what the problem could be ?

thanks !

(note: i tried the following: painted a simple outward-distorting paint-stroke, exported it, and guess what: the map has got my stroke in white thank god, but also it is surrounded with a darker area (like in PS: 'stroke' effect), which ruins the map, makes it useless..

http://www.p3d.hu/mbdispproblem.jpg

cache
07-25-2007, 02:03 AM
but please-please help me with this :(

Kaptain Kubrick
08-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Hey, I can't give you any answers - just thought I'd say I have the same problem. Are you using the student version with 16bit map?

When I export from Mudbox, once the export is finished a prompt comes up with 2 numbers - a negative and a positive. If I reload the map back onto the base model in Mudbox it pretty much looks right if I enter in the numbers back in, except there are small squares / meshy appearance. Although if I load it into Maya it gets all bloated like your image there. How can I enter in the numbers to Maya to fix this?

I have a Radeon 9200 - (I really need something better!)
Student version of Mudbox

So if anyone knows anything about this, I'd love to hear it.

Kind regards,
kk

FreakWizz
08-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah i cannot work it out either, i'm also getting this golfball type patterns in my Displacments when i export to LW/Maya or Modo....

And i have tried every setting in Mudbox to try and fix it.....
Now that Autodesk have bought it, I'm likely to never get it fixed.

MasonDoran
08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
try playing with different search distances when creating the displacement map...

If its to high, values will overlap where the distance overlaps with other parts of the mesh.

If it is to low, you will clip certain values. It looks like you your values are to hi.

One other tip, is extract the displacement map using one level higher (from the low res mesh) then the one u just used

Kaptain Kubrick
08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
OK - I made a simple displacement to test it - I have exported the displacement and in the image it reloads pretty well. There are a few sharp points around the side of it but I can paint them out in PS.

When I exported the map I was given the values -5.8 and 5.8 , so when I was re-doing the map on the the basemesh I entered in these values. And its works fine in Mudbox. Although when I do it in Maya where do I enter in these values? I can't seem to get past this at all.

Thanks for the help

kk

http://www.pepko.org/images/whatsthis.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.