PDA

View Full Version : Toy Car Composite, Shoey (3D), (3D)

shoey
03-26-2003, 12:52 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15979/toy_car_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15979/toy_car.jpg)

Title: Toy Car Composite, Shoey (3D)
Name:
Software: 3ds max, Brazil r/s, combustion

An attempt at a photorealistic compositing piece done for university.

ThirdEye
03-26-2003, 12:54 PM
The 2nd pic is fantastic! I hope that's not a photo :p

ja3d
03-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Ok, the new toy car model have a good modeling work, but the texturing it,s too plastic, try to play with fresnel reflection values.
The old car it,s really a wonderfull texture work and photorealistic.

I don,t believe this pic unless you put a wire of this. :rolleyes:

shoey
03-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys:thumbsup:

I am still playing around with the car shader, i just can't seem to get it to look right though. I'll post another pic when i have an update of it.

Here's the wires.:bounce:

http://www.cookercare.demon.co.uk/Art/wires.jpg

Cheers:D

WhiteRabbitObj
03-26-2003, 07:44 PM
make a spec map with a dirt channel in the image, so that the highlights are not so uniform, also, make a bump map with nicks and scratches and stuff, no matter how new it is it is not perfect! I also gotta say that that second pic is incredible, I didnt even look at it at first because I thought it was just another pic of the non-CG cars, then I came back to it and was blown away. Very nice job overall and just keep fiddling with the "new" car.

ThirdEye
03-26-2003, 08:10 PM
program and renderer? :love:

Mr.FeelNothing
03-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Like Third Eye, I'm curious which program and renderer. Your work is amazing. Great job!

shoey
03-26-2003, 08:40 PM
You're going to hate it now Thirdeye.:D Its made in 3dsmax4 and 5 with the brazil beta.:thumbsup:

McNeely
03-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Are you trying to show somekind of 'old used and baterred' in contrast to a 'ultra modern showcar'?

Then the whole thing would make sense, that the concept-car is clean as a babys ass and the rest is beaten up like my cars used to look like... :D

btw the 2nd one is amazing!!!! I would have made a bet for 100$ that is is a photo!!!!

cheers

shoey
03-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by McNeely
Are you trying to show somekind of 'old used and baterred' in contrast to a 'ultra modern showcar'?

Then the whole thing would make sense, that the concept-car is clean as a babys ass and the rest is beaten up like my cars used to look like... :D

btw the 2nd one is amazing!!!! I would have made a bet for 100$ that is is a photo!!!!

cheers
Spot on:thumbsup:

The aim for the module is that you model an exising toy and make it look old and battered, then design your own toy and make it look brand spankin new. So the car is supposed to look like it has just been taken out of the box, although it probs does still need a bit of work on the shader:D

Cheers:bounce:

halogenic139
03-27-2003, 12:39 AM
You're going to hate it now Thirdeye. Its made in 3dsmax4 and 5 with the brazil beta.

are you trying to imply that 3ds max is bad?

aenema
03-27-2003, 01:23 AM
great work, that van looks really photoreal! :thumbsup:

eirenicon
03-27-2003, 03:55 AM
If you're aiming for a Hot Wheels type of look... the shiny new car shader should be painted metal. So you'd want it minimally reflective, with sharp specular highlights. Right now it looks like plastic.

That bus is gorgeous though, spot-on texturing job.

ASCIISkull
03-27-2003, 04:14 AM
I don't like the wheels of the 'new' car, but the bus looks awesome. The bump map on the bus might need to be a little higher resolution, but as is it's still pretty much perfect.

Finkster
03-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Really nice textures there. The carpet is a photo tho right?

g0tenks0
03-27-2003, 04:36 AM
all hail the 3d god

travis007
03-27-2003, 05:06 AM
daym. thats a nice beat up van!

Risibility
03-27-2003, 05:15 AM
3d god? where? awesome van, bad ... plastic...audi thing...

just because the car model is of a new car doesnt mean its not gonna be just as badly battered as the other cars...give it similar texturing to the van.

gj neways

DimitrisLiatsos
03-27-2003, 06:12 AM
:bounce: Excellent work...congrats!!! :thumbsup:

Finkster
03-27-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Risibility

just because the car model is of a new car doesnt mean its not gonna be just as badly battered as the other cars...give it similar texturing to the van.

Right that the car doesn't look great, but If a kid opened the box and found his/her new toy to be as badly beaten up as you suggest, there may be tears before playtime. There's a time and a place for large imperfections and a brand new toy isn't one of them. Improving the specular and reflections would do a whole lot more to get the new metal look.

verti
03-27-2003, 08:16 AM
damn... im impressed... brazil renderer is really good...

v.

John Lee
03-27-2003, 08:57 AM
i love that second pic but the pther don't match up in the composite of lighting???

AndreKling
03-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Awesome work man looks fantastic.
The 2 picture is TOO GOOD!!! post the map!!!! how about a tutorial ??? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
About the first picture, I think the problem is the weels, maybe it is too outside the model, if you look at the real car behind him, the weels are inside the car structure, and has a bigger gap between than and the metal.
Another sugestion is to change the color of the windows, maybe a kind of plastic semi-trasparent like u did for the van, would be better. Another thing is the chrome in the weels, it is too ... well chromed... maybe a less reflective one would show better that it is a toy.
About the van....: :eek: YOU ARE A MONSTER :airguitar

Winfred
03-27-2003, 09:34 AM
awsome work ~
I can't believe my eyes...
gotta work on the first one a bit to improve...

I thought someone posted photo at my first sight..:wavey:

robin
03-27-2003, 11:31 AM
The second is Dramatically well done

Hats off, how was the texture done ?

shoey
03-27-2003, 11:37 AM
:eek: jesus, i thought i'd left this thread for dead last night.

halogenic139: Max is great but Thirdeye uses C4d:D

Finkster: yeah the carpet is a photo, the only things CG are the van and the new car.

g0tenks0: I wouldn't go that far but thanks for the compliment:thumbsup:

Thanks to everone else for all the replies, much apreciated:thumbsup: As for the new car, i know it still needs work to make it look as good as the van, i'm still fiddling with it now. Its based on a matchbox car, IMAGE (http://www.cookercare.demon.co.uk/Art/ref.jpg), hmmmm...... looking at the pic again i realise the wheels are to reflective.

Thanks again for all your replies, i'll try to make the changes you all suggested and post and updated image:thumbsup:

Cheers, shoey:bounce:

Hugh
03-27-2003, 11:42 AM
One crit of the van....

The specular highlight on the roof is a bit too even - it should be a lot duller where the paint has chipped off... It looks like there is some kind of clear paint over the whole thing....

Other than that, stunning!

gL_spear
03-27-2003, 11:47 AM
amazing second image!, yer really bringing back some memories of my old matchbox cars alot of them ended up looking like that.....:applause:

azazel
03-27-2003, 11:50 AM
I remember seeing a WIP thread of this van... very well done

little suggesstion: try to compare bare metal of the van and of these real cars in background. Real ones have this metal very bright, sometimes almost white, whether van has it dark, maybe to dark. But it occurs only when there's real car to compare, so standalone renders of van are simply great.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :love:

LowEndFrequency
03-27-2003, 12:15 PM
sweet work here, but create an environment map out of your room for the clean looking car, It just doesn't seem to reflect....

stephen2002
03-27-2003, 12:38 PM
that carpet and the wall in the back is what REALLY makes this one stand out. Forget the cars...their environment is top-notch photorealistic. Even the DOF is perfect. Ok...the beat up van has great texturing too. Wonderful work, I'm sure you will be able to tweak the shader on the "new" car to perfection.

Mvespa
03-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Oh my god!!:applause:

You ruleee, congratulations.
Especially the second image it's very realistic!!

Krystman
03-27-2003, 03:37 PM
I think the main problem with the new car is not the shader but the design.. there are too many sharp edges. Check out the edge of the windshield and compare it to the car you've bought. In the real car, the winshield is much more introuded and rounded along the edges. The lamels behind the side window look like they are SO sharp that every kid would cut himself on them...

Also take a closer look at the seams. Especially the door seams. In you model, the look like a dark line on the texture. In reality, they are not darker but simply wider...

Actually, your toy looks more like a real car then a toy ^_^

The Van just simply kicks ass, but I think you know that already :p

Eyer
03-27-2003, 04:15 PM
:drool: Drooling all over the place. This is my first reply here and I hope to send something myself. I think this work is very real.The lighting and mapping is perfect.

phoenix
03-27-2003, 07:10 PM
i like the second pic:beer:

phoenix2k
03-27-2003, 08:10 PM
wow!!
good job with the first car

amazing job with the second!!! :eek:

Vic3k
03-27-2003, 08:19 PM
i will join in the crowd and say the van looks really good. but i think, maybe coz it's scale is really small, the scratches should be more stretched and not like islands of deformation.
hmm what i mean to say is the ageness look you have is maybe more of a bigger scale object than of a small one.
i'm wierd i know :)

flamedevil
03-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Very nice render, i love this van :thumbsup:

yellowworm
03-27-2003, 11:36 PM
the old van is mind blowing.
really excellent work!

robertp
03-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Great job. I have always loved matchbox cars. Loads of fun. Next time just add the super track in the back so the cars can have a race.

New Car-
If you think about the way they make the cars. Diecast models with vacum formed windows. In the top of the cars they have a plug that they push the windows into so the windows aren't perfectly fit nor do they sit right on all the cars even when they are new. The wheels are great it looks like the ones they make now. The body just seems to smooth but thats just me. make a bigger break inbetween the front bumper and the main body. It seems that they would have to make this model into two or three pieces because of the curving that is happening.

Old Car-
What a great job. the Modeling is top-notch. When I think of how my old cars lost their paint it seems that the paint's surface and the metal surface aren't that far appart. On the side of the truck you happen to have big bump map as to where the paint is wearing off. I think alot of your wearing is happening right, but some of the spots where they are happening suggest that this truck is not a matchbox car but an old 50's oversized tin toy. I think of where you would grab this toy and that interaction over time with your oil wearing away the paint in those spots. Also some more damage to the paint. Look at your other car (orange one) battle damage to the front and sides and Im sure the back. Just needs less paint in some key areas. Then I think what makes it look like a tin toy instead of matchbox is the difference with the metal color. It might look alittle better if you shift the color of the metal to the same color of the orange car.

Rob:D

facial
03-28-2003, 12:43 AM
Nice work! :)

draconix
03-28-2003, 02:30 AM
Man! The van model is just... :applause:

The new car is also tres cool. :thumbsup:

shoey
03-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Thank you all for your comments:thumbsup:

I'm glad you like the work, i've made some tiny changes to the car shader. i'll post a pic at the weekend.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

lildragon
03-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late here but just wanted to chime in to say what a fabu job you did with these composites :thumbsup: as most have said I dig the 2nd pic, but they're all ace! Very very photoreal.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

robertp
03-28-2003, 09:44 PM
:beer: :applause: :applause:
grats!

Rob:D

Abe
03-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Well done on the Bedford Van better known as the bumper rattler.I had this as a kid in fact i'm sure its the one in the picture you must have pinched it when i wasn't looking:applause:

shoey
03-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks for another award lil', and thanks to everyone for all the praise and comments:thumbsup:

Aeroplane
03-30-2003, 05:18 PM
wow, photorealistic:applause:

cyrano
04-01-2003, 10:16 AM
that's a great job man! BUT the new one needs more work
on it's material i think if you creat more high lights and
reflections on new car it will look more realistic,
by the way if it's possible give me some more info. about your OLD
materail,:rolleyes:

King555
06-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Very nice rendering, like the felling of the textures!!
Very beautiful!!

dahoo0810
09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Very nice. I like how you made the van look worn. Also, the matchbox box looks very realistic the glare on the plastic part really sells it.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.